PDA

View Full Version : its not a race can honest

celt
22-08-2004, 07:34 PM
anyone still do the stamps for race cans?

DesmoDog
22-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Hello Celt,

You can get em on e-bay, but if its the MOT you're worried about I'm told that as long as your can dosen't say "not for road use" you should be ok. Mine polished off when cleaning "ahem".

spacemonkey
23-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Mine have no markings whatsoever.... and promptly failed. You need either a: a friendly, understanding MOT tester, b: CORRECT stampings, c: a shop known to the tester who will vouch that they 'have a set of legal cans they could fit' like I did, d: get some legal cans just for the MOT. Normally you just take them with the bike 'for the tester to fit' for the test, and that's that.

An honest Joe tester will fail the 'add on' stampings that you speak of anyway, so what's the point? And it's fraud... Bastards, eh?

celt
23-08-2004, 09:29 PM
well they dont have anything written on them. i think i will try and find a tester who is blind and deaf. :cool:

hello karl.
if we ever get a good day i'll drop u a line for a tootle out.

Pedro
23-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Be warned - the use of "fake" BS Marks carries a potential fine of up to £1000 as it's listed as fraud....

Ped

heyDJ
24-08-2004, 06:20 AM
What about carbs? Mine say "Motorcycle Race use only" :-)

DesmoDog
24-08-2004, 07:25 PM
well they dont have anything written on them. i think i will try and find a tester who is blind and deaf. :cool:

hello karl.
if we ever get a good day i'll drop u a line for a tootle out.

Celt, I know of a couple of places - one we spoke of last time and I know he has some spare stock cans that he'll fit should you require. The other, closer to home, may put it through. I'm there next week so I'll ask him outright.

I could have sworn that the norm was to pass as long as it didn't have not for road use on em, oh well you live and learn :D

Paranoid Dave
24-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Spacemonkey - how long ago was this?

I asked in a shop less than a month ago, I questioned what I had heard about the NEW RULES and the tester got the idiot cards they use as a guide for MOT testing, it clearly states every legality that is needed. Under cans apart from being in good condition and the rest - I'll paraphrase here:

"cans must not be marked for race or track use or show any marks where this text may have been removed"

The tester has to judge the volume as no tester uses a DB reading machine.
the idea of this is so people will stop using these stick on plates people buy and then turn up at the MOT with 105db cans that are BS marked. But there is NOTHING in the rules to state that your cans have to have any BS, EU or kite marking etc.

Go and ask to see the papers for yourself.

I passed my MOT last week - no prob.

spacemonkey
25-08-2004, 05:28 PM
About 3-4 months ago??? Maybe more-it was cold as I remember and I had just refitted the forks, so it must have been Feb-March. God, how time flies...
I picked up a pair of genuine legal Ducati cans a coupla weeks back for peanuts, just in case of MOT difficulties (or Pig Producers) in the future. It seems quite rare to find second hand pipes so I grabbed 'em.

Paranoid Dave
25-08-2004, 06:14 PM
i got a pair this year too for the same reason, then a couple of months after the law changed so I muffled my shotguns instead. I think the rule changed only a couple of months back so they were probably right at the time.

celt
25-08-2004, 06:30 PM
my dp cans dont have a mark anywhere. so i think if i find the right guy then no probs.

cheers peeps

DesmoDog
26-08-2004, 04:49 PM
What about carbs? Mine say "Motorcycle Race use only" :-)

Hey DJ, looks like a very interesting site - problem is the piccies don't seem to be there. And Celt, a ride out if the weather ever imporves sounds like a good idea.

Northman1
09-09-2004, 02:49 PM
I think it is the Construction and use regs that state the exhaust silencers should be marked with either the E mark, BSAU number or the Motorcycle manufacturers name.

Funnymachine
09-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I think it is the Construction and use regs that state the exhaust silencers should be marked with either the E mark, BSAU number or the Motorcycle manufacturers name.

Try Chapter 9...

Directive Subject
!

93/14/EEC
Braking

93/29/EEC
Identification of Controls

2000/74/EC
Amendment to 93/29/EEC

93/30/EEC
Audible Warning Devices

93/31/EEC
Stands

2000/72/EC
Amendment to 93/31/EEC

93/32/EEC
Hand Holds

1999/24/EC
Amendment to 93/32/EC

93/33/EEC
Devices to prevent unauthorised use

1999/23/EC
Amendment to 93/33/EC

93/34/EEC
Statutory Markings

1999/25/EC
Amendment to 93/34/EC

93/92/EEC
Installation of Lighting

2000/73/EC
Amendment to 93/92/EEC

93/93/EEC
Masses and Dimensions

93/94/EEC
Space for Rear Registration Plate

1999/26/EC
Amendment to 93/94/EC

95/1/EC
Measurement of Power, Torque and Maximum Speed

97/24/EC
"multi-Directive" comprising 12 Chapters each dealing with one of the remaining subject areas of the framework Directive

Chapter 1
Tyres

Chapter 2
Lights and signalling devices

Chapter 3
External Projections

Chapter 4
Rear View Mirrors

Chapter 5
Air Pollution

Chapter 6
Fuel Tanks

Chapter 7
Anti-tampering measures

Chapter 8
Electro-magnetic compatibility

Chapter 9
Permissible sound level

Chapter 10
Trailer Coupling Devices

Chapter 11
Safety belts and anchorages

Chapter 12
Glazing, wipers , washers, demisters and de-icers.

2000/7/EC
Speedometers

Directives may be accessed on the EU web site at http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex.

Tz

Phoenix
10-09-2004, 10:41 PM
I like my friendly mot tester i do :D