PDA

View Full Version : Having the chop

SAMMYE
18-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Does anyone think that chopping the tea tray off the back makes the Monster look a bit odd and buell-esque!? I like the Idea of the chop but just feel that it looks slightly strange anyone agree and what have you done when chopping to counteract this?....... like having high exhausts etc etc

peteS4
18-08-2004, 10:29 AM
a tail chop does look best when done with high level carbon cans or an under engine set up like jmo............... but we all have our own tastes. thats the beauty of the monnie.. do what YOU want.......... not what the crowd says so.............. enjoy it fella,............. and what are you doing in here when you should be doing u turns on your driveway.................

madhatter
18-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Remember as well, that if you intend trading it in some time at a dealer for another bike, they may not look favourably on any such hard-core modifications, when giving you a price. If selling it on e-bay, UKMOC forum or Bike Trader it would not be a problem.

How new is your bike anyway? Do you still have a manufactures guarantee and warranty? if so, I personnaly wouldn't touch it.

PeteS4 and I were discussing reversal operations and we beleive that it is possible to put one back on after chopping the frame, if you plan it properly when chopping off in the first place, so you could have the best of both worlds!..... :burnout:

peteS4
18-08-2004, 10:37 AM
steve..... cos its a m800, its brand new........... its the new range............. ie, 620.... 800 and 1000....... the 600... 750 and 900 are now dead........ as is the s4...............so if you do want to chop.......... talk to one of us first.,............. it can be reversed if you do it right the first time..........but only if you do it right first time...............

A Yerbury
18-08-2004, 10:42 AM
the tail sub section could easily be re welded. cheap and easy.
AY

SAMMYE
18-08-2004, 10:46 AM
a tail chop does look best when done with high level carbon cans or an under engine set up like jmo............... but we all have our own tastes. thats the beauty of the monnie.. do what YOU want.......... not what the crowd says so.............. enjoy it fella,............. and what are you doing in here when you should be doing u turns on your driveway.................

HA HA yes sir!! going right back to them in a minute!! Thanks for the advice think I will leave it for a bit till I can meet up with you guys and see your Monnies.

madhatter
18-08-2004, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=peteS4]cos its a m800, its brand new........... its the new range............. ie, 620.... 800 and 1000......QUOTE]

I wasn't sure how new SAMMYE's bike was? The 800 was launched in 2003 and as it's amazing how quickly Monsters get resold, because some people buy them and then can't get on with them, he could have be the second or even third owner, hence the question about warranty......

I take it though that this is a brand spanking new, shiny 04 model SAMMYE? With you being the proud first owner and just a few miles on the tacho......so as Pete says, think carefully before jumping on the "tailchop" bandwagon and consider up front if you may want to reverse it in a tidy presentable manner......

Keep practicing those "U turns"......you will get there!! :D :D

SAMMYE
18-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Cheers madhatter it is a new 04 version 7 months old one previous owner. I think your right I need time to get used to the bike and what other people have done to their bikes first before I make any chop chop decisions and I think Ive sorted the U-turn probelm hope to be the best U-turner in the world!!

Kev Bunney
18-08-2004, 01:03 PM
steve..... cos its a m800, its brand new........... its the new range............. ie, 620.... 800 and 1000....... the 600... 750 and 900 are now dead........ as is the s4...............so if you do want to chop.......... talk to one of us first.,............. it can be reversed if you do it right the first time..........but only if you do it right first time...............

Oh my lord, my bike is dead :(

Paranoid Dave
18-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Hmmm, what do you do to complement the chop? Simple keep chopping :D

Best bet is to get smaller plate, smaller indicators, high level cans are good. Simple things work well like cut the hugger back a few inches. You can't beat the look of a chopped monster :twisted: