PDA

View Full Version : Another Halfords Oil Question

Funnymachine
17-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Okay - I have read the arguements for and against this oil and that;

I have an M600 Monster in my garage with no oil in it and I want to ride it tomorrow, only - the Shell garage near me doesn't have the oil listed in the book and I can't make head nor tail of Halfords extensive range of oils, synthetic, semi-synthetic et al. Blue cans, green cans, silver cans it's a hard choice.

Can someone tell me categorically which Halfords oil would be best to put in it? Someone said the car oil was OK in one thread. My main use will be hammering from red light to red light across London, and the odd trip to a RWYB to trash the living daylights out of it for a few seconds here and there.

Tx

Zimbo
17-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Halfords Motorcycle oil, semi synthetic.
Actually any motorcycle oil from a recognised manufacturer would be fine. Castrol, Silkolene, Rock Oil, they're all fine.
Standard mineral oil degrades faster than semi synthetic oil, which is why I'd recomend the semi synthetic over standard mineral, it doesn't cost much more.
No need to bother with fully synthetic, it does offer greater protection under extreme conditions, but that means hard track or race, you won't stress the engine to the same extent on the road.
Avoid synthetic car oils, they contain friction modifiers and can cause wet clutches such as those used in motorcycles to slip.

spacemonkey
18-08-2004, 07:24 PM
I use the Castrol GPS semi from Halfrauds. They were doing a but 2 get 1 free offer, so I bought a few...