PDA

View Full Version : I can see........

Dave Pearson
14-08-2004, 04:04 PM
I took my Mickey Mouse Ear mirrors off for Mallory, and they stayed off (ugly things - useless too).

Got some Motrax mini bar-end mirrors today, and they work a treat. I can see absolutely eveything behind now, without having to tuck my elbows in :rolleyes:

They wouldn't clamp over the bar-end weights, so I bolted them onto the end of the weights.

They make the bike a bit wider for riding through traffic etc., but I don't do a lot of commuting so I don't think this will be a problem.

Here's some piccies:
Front (http://www.download.sprut.co.uk/mirror_front.jpg)
Riders view (http://www.download.sprut.co.uk/mirror_rider.jpg)
Close up (http://www.download.sprut.co.uk/mirror_zoom.jpg)

I wasn't sure whether they would look ok, but I much prefer them to the Ducati mirrors, and they're growing on me.
As long as I can keep an eye out for PC plod and overtake safely, I'm happy! :D

Dave

norrie
14-08-2004, 04:30 PM
I was thinking of a set myself.
Do you get much vibration with them?
I know on a lot of aftermarket mirrors they vibrate a lot and you cant see a thing.

Norrie.

A Yerbury
14-08-2004, 04:33 PM
sorry, I think they look a bit ridiculous. would it be possible to hang them under the bar and have them angled in, effectively opposite to what you have now? but you are right about the ducati one tho!!

steviej
14-08-2004, 08:36 PM
I hung mine 'Under'..................................I think they look 'Cleaner', in line with the bars.....But that's my opinion.

And they don't vibrate either............. :eek: :eek:

manc skank
14-08-2004, 08:57 PM
oooh a word to the wise :D superglue those !!!!ers in! i lost two mirrors (the actual glass bits) to the ducs vibration. superglued one in and the other fell out! i think pedro and steviej also had some suicidal mirrors. thats aside the field of vision is excellent :D

Dave Pearson
14-08-2004, 09:10 PM
I was thinking of a set myself.
Do you get much vibration with them?
I know on a lot of aftermarket mirrors they vibrate a lot and you cant see a thing.
Norrie.

I've only taken it out the once for a quick spin since fitting them, but vibration didn't appear to be a problem. I'm hoping to get out for a good blat tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

They could be hung under the bars, the picture on the box shows them under the bars, but I thought that might restrict the view. I'm going to play around with the positioning a bit, but the decision will be based more on functionality rather than form, although I'm sure a happy medium will be struck.

I might also get the inner end of the bar end weights turned flush, and mount the mirror between the weight and the bars, this will bring them inboard a bit.

I'm just happy to be able to see behind me without looking like I'm doing a 'Press-up' to achieve it. :eek:

Thanks for the super glue advise, I seem to remember someone else saying they used silicon to keep them in place. I think I'll put a couple of dabs of super glue on before testing them properly tomorrow :burnout:

Thanks for your comments.

Dave

Pedro
14-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Don't use super glue, use bathroom silicon - it's easier to get out if the glass gets broken again. As it's soft it helps protect the glass. I had to take the bar end weights out (I got alloy bars).

The mirrors are great, had mine on for about 4 or 5 months now and it's great to see behind properly! You do need to be a little careful when filtering though as they're a little wider......

Ped

Dave Pearson
15-08-2004, 05:40 AM
Don't use super glue, use bathroom silicon - it's easier to get out if the glass gets broken again. As it's soft it helps protect the glass. I had to take the bar end weights out (I got alloy bars).

Ped

Good point, I'll give it a try, thanks Ped.
Hopefully I won't need any, but where do you get replacement glass for these?
I did consider removing the weights, but I wasn't sure what effect this would have on the handling. Did you notice any change without the weights?

Now, where's that tube of silicon..................

Pedro
15-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Removing the weights may no difference that I can notice. Leaving them in made it too wide.... Actually the weights are there to damp vibration in the bars.

As for replacement glass, I got mine from Motrax. Had a bit of an issue with loose bolts (where the glass holder bolts to the little arm) and vibration cracking the glass. Got on to Motrax who sent me 2 sets outs! Cost be a little technical information about crash bungs but they were super helpful. In fact, after I spoke with them about loose bolts, they pulled all their stock and checked them and advised the manufacturer of the problem. If you need to speak to Motrax, ask for Jenny and tell her Pedro from the Monster Club sent you!!

Ped

Dave Pearson
15-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Thanks again Ped.
I was just reading up about bar end weights, and your right about their purpose. I'm not convinced that the S4 bars (solid cast) require the weights, most cures for handlebar vibrations seem to involve filling up hollow handlebars to make them solid.
Hopefully I can clamp the mirrors direct to the end of the bars without the weights there...............

I'll keep an eye on the screws as well, thanks for info.

Dave

Dave Pearson
16-08-2004, 04:50 PM
As for replacement glass, I got mine from Motrax. Had a bit of an issue with loose bolts (where the glass holder bolts to the little arm) and vibration cracking the glass. Got on to Motrax who sent me 2 sets outs!
Ped

Ped, do you want to sell one of your replacement sets? Being the 'ham fisted clot' that I am, I broke one trying to take it out so that I could silicon them in :rolleyes:

I've contacted Motrax but they say I have to go through one of their dealers. Contacted Hein Gericke and they will only order them if I go in and pay for them first! :mad:

Well pleased with them though. Took it for a thrashing on Sunday and no vibrations. Only problem I found was that over a ton :twisted: erm sorry 70, they did start to fold back. I've tightened them up a bit more so that should be solved :D

Dave

DesmoDog
16-08-2004, 06:26 PM
oooh a word to the wise :D superglue those !!!!ers in! i lost two mirrors (the actual glass bits) to the ducs vibration. superglued one in and the other fell out! i think pedro and steviej also had some suicidal mirrors. thats aside the field of vision is excellent :D

I couldn't work out why my DP teardrops were chipped around the edges until one made a leap for it last week. Silicone is the thing...

Pedro
16-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Ped, do you want to sell one of your replacement sets? Being the 'ham fisted clot' that I am, I broke one trying to take it out so that I could silicon them in :rolleyes:

I've contacted Motrax but they say I have to go through one of their dealers. Contacted Hein Gericke and they will only order them if I go in and pay for them first! :mad:

Well pleased with them though. Took it for a thrashing on Sunday and no vibrations. Only problem I found was that over a ton :twisted: erm sorry 70, they did start to fold back. I've tightened them up a bit more so that should be solved :D

Dave

Sorry Dave not selling!! Just know that if I do, I'll break one!!

Go easy when you tighten them as I cracked the mounting arm by over doing it!!

Ped

A Yerbury
16-08-2004, 10:19 PM
hey ped, managed to polish my hanger bolts so I dont think Ill bother with th stainless. cheap/quick and they look excellent too!!

Pedro
16-08-2004, 10:25 PM
hey ped, managed to polish my hanger bolts so I dont think Ill bother with th stainless. cheap/quick and they look excellent too!!

Good thinking Yerbs!

Was gonna get mine chromed over the winter if we can't rustle up enough stainless sets.

Ped

A Yerbury
16-08-2004, 10:31 PM
its so easy, black and decker with a bit of paper, polish with fine wet dry, wipe of with thinners, finish up with a good hard petrol res lacquer. finally when putting them back in I used a smaller allen key wrapped around a bit of fabric so as not to chip the lacq. although one could always do a final spray when the bolts are back in place.