PDA

View Full Version : Stress fractures in the speedo and tacho

Ewan620
14-08-2004, 03:11 PM
as you may have seen in another thread i had the the misfortune to slide my monster down the road last week. However, before that happened the tacho developed a crack going all the way accross the dial and out to the bevel. the same thing then happened to the speedo 2 days later. To be brief what the hell's going on. has it happened to anyone else? whats the cure? can i buy new glass and bevels or is it a whole new instrument set? and how the do i convince the the warrenty chaps that this was nothing to do with the spill.

Sie man
14-08-2004, 07:11 PM
My clocks did the same. I’d dropped the bike off at DLS for a service, picked it up later that day and the clocks had mysteriously cracked. DLS changed it under warranty. So if they quote the classic ''Never seen that before" They have. Good luck and hope you and the bike make a swift return to the road,

cheers,

Justin

stef
14-08-2004, 09:03 PM
my 95 m600 also develloped that problem.
To my knowledge, it wasnt dropped. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows how to replace the glass element !

BoozyBOB
16-08-2004, 12:28 AM
my 2001 M600 had this on the speedo...had a hell off a time trying to get Pegasus to change it under warranty..(sealed unit so cant just fit new lense)..worked out it was the armoured clutch cable vibrating against the edge off the clock..eventualy they changed the clocks and moved the cable...good luck Ewan

welshman
16-08-2004, 07:43 AM
my rev counter developed a crack at mallory park , i was told its not covered by my waranty ?? so i was going to have a go of fixing it myself , the clear plastic (glass) i can get from work , if anyone wants me to cut them a disc just e mail me the diameter and thickness you want will post it

disc and postage free anywere UK

Laterz
welshman : ;)

stef
16-08-2004, 08:55 AM
thanks for the offer, i might take you up on that.
but how do you actually take it appart ? I couldnt find anyway to open it up.

welshman
16-08-2004, 09:05 AM
:confused: Not sure myself , it has a rubber seal at the back of it , so it should come off somehow , i was going to have a go in the winter just in case it turns to S**t

john

stef
16-08-2004, 10:48 AM
i got as far as pulling the speedo out of the dash board, and disconecting all the cables. but using resonable force will not open it, as far as i could see.

DesmoDog
16-08-2004, 06:47 PM
my 95 m600 also develloped that problem.
To my knowledge, it wasnt dropped. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows how to replace the glass element !

I'm probably waaaaay behind everyone here but as far as I recal you can't replace the glass on the older speedos. I thinkmine has been dropped, but the stress fracture thang is interesting. Anyone thought about milling a new case?

JMo
16-08-2004, 07:38 PM
As I understood, you can't take the clock units themselves apart (mine were replaced as a whole unit, even though it was just the back of the casing that was scratched) - however, I was speaking to Stu at Spareshack, and he said it is possible, as you have to do that to fit the polished bezzles that he has fitted to his S4 - give him a call/email and maybe he can advise?

And hey, why not get some of those bezzles at the same time?!

xxx

Albie
16-08-2004, 08:12 PM
I now have a tiny crack about 1cm long going from about the 10mph line inwards. I think it happened with the free Shell neck cord got caught with wind and whacked it at the plastic joint. :mad: :( :( :eek:

Ewan620
19-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Have been on to my warrenty company they promised to call back straight away. I'm still waiting. I feel a short conversation with colourful language comming on. Thanks for all your imput on this thought i had been really unlucky but it appears not. polished bevels sound nice. welshman it might take you up on that offer.