PDA

View Full Version : black black black

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 04:38 PM
here are a couple of side shots showing everything done black. If any one out there like me has a 10 yr old or so monster showing its age I cant recomend black enough, all the gubbins and different hues merge and should anything be chipped or get splodged in brake fluid it is a doddle to touch up. vht paint on for the fins, vht spray on for the belt covers, non chip -so they claim, seems good so far- for the cases frame and hangers. I have also routed everything and chopped a few breathers down so the belt cover is "fuss free"
Alex

M900Dom
12-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Black for all the mechanical stuff is so much cleaner looking ;) :D

Looking good Alex :D

Cheers
Dom

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 05:00 PM
thank you my man. not up to your standards but on a budget and compared to how she did look....flakey paint and everything covered up (literally everything, breathers, plugs,ht leads etc etc) with shiny cheap spray on non vht silver...Im pretty chuffed. pj ed the pipes too. I had 2 tiny chips that I could respot no probs in seconds. not an option really with any other colour.
Alex

craigie
12-08-2004, 05:09 PM
very nice Mr Yerbury

recently I have been very taken with black bikes and although technically a red bike bike I very much like its blackness

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 05:20 PM
cheers, I wanted things as 2 tone as possible.One good thing prev owner did was to black the wheels. so shes all red n black to the point of red ngk caps (classic) and a red n black horn as the old one looked ****e (about a tenner from busters)
alex
not sure if the dust caps/ anodised bolts I have put on are toooo chavy but I like em.. (nicked from work so a bargain....)

madhatter
12-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Very Nice A.

Now....don't go all "theatrical" on me, but genuine questions; :rolleyes:

1) Did you remove the engine and have it bead-blasted, or rub it down yourself cheaply and with much aching of arms?

b) Did you use a primer of any kind or is it just high temperature (black, black, black) paint applied direct to the rubbed down engine?

27a) Very artful hand painting with brush, or aerosol spray can?

Looks the Biz... ;) ;)

Little Monster
12-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Yerbs.

Loving your work there m'boy.

:cool:

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 06:56 PM
cheers LM, its coming along....gradually! I need to do some proper things now such as bleed the rear brake -groan- and get (both) bloody forks seals done.
Alex.
apologies if I was a bit harsh on the darks BTW!

Mand
12-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Very nice chuck, one handsome looking bike. :)

Byron Kauffman
12-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Looks great alex, is there candy or pearl in the red? I like the color on the cam covers, nice touch.

So how long after you finished were you able to blow you nose without seeing black? The crinkle paint I used glued my nose hair.

Paranoid Dave
12-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Alex, seeing as how you rate my views ;) here's a couple more thoughts...

The side pods, are they the black plastic or painted, they will look far more in keeping if they shine with a lick of paint.
Small bar end caps, the motrax ones that are about 5mm thick in red would look a treat.
Where's your rear hugger? I hope you like cleaning :D. I like the red front hugger but no distracting red at the rear, so you could always go carbon (DISTOL) or cut down a standard one and paint it black like me.
You're right on the bolts, red would have didge in stiches and give him hours of fun chav talking if you did. Don't do it. But stainless would look good, might be doing it myself over winter.
Are you thinking of going for black Yokes?

That should keep you busy for a bit :D

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 08:20 PM
well like your good self and a few others I removed the bloody pod things a while back.
the yoke would be good black but too much faff, I cut some carbon and placed that on sparingly!to darken it a bit and cover a spot where the thrott rubbed the orig paint. If I went for a hugger it would be carb like sprock cover and side panels but I like the nakedness ohh yes and I eschew the rain -poofy I know-
the engine and cams are all stainless -got a kit for 12 quid although I have succumbed to some red chav bolts!!! but only used where needed on the tint screen/belly pan/fender/caliper cover/and the RR thing on the back they dont so much jump out at one in a "ooh look pretty coloured dots on a bandit" kinda way! they more just maintain the smooth plane of mettalic red on those items......ok apart from the two on the rear brake master and the dust caps...sorry boys I succumbed!! anyway I used to work at a place for bloody peanuts that sold these ano wrp bolts so they did cost me nowt. next cosmetic item should be here in a copla days, one of those d wing badges that nichols US make for the alternator case. $30 seemed ok. rearsets and a 900cc would be good but thats it 4 the time being !
cheers
Alex
ps maybe a scotoiler and one of those things to remind you off the indicators.....

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Looks great alex, is there candy or pearl in the red? I like the color on the cam covers, nice touch.
thanks bry, its a mettalic called citroen wicked red and goes fine its about 2 shades deeper than the body paint and goes nicely with red/black horn and ngk red caps. I saw some ngks on a lovely old black and gold 70s 900 ss and had to get a pair. about 3 quid each.
Al

Paranoid Dave
12-08-2004, 08:55 PM
they dont so much jump out at one in a "ooh look pretty coloured dots on a bandit" kinda way!

:lol: :lol:

ps maybe a scotoiler and one of those things to remind you off the indicators.....

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Got any tips on mods for kylie then? ;)

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 09:30 PM
the newer style tea trays will bring kylie bang up to date. although I still think a mirror shine on belt covers would be simply super too. Any more new s on the s arm front?

berto
12-08-2004, 09:55 PM
:cool: I see a red bike and I want to paint it BLACK!!!!

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 09:59 PM
You want to paint your nice red s4 black? dont be silly Bertie!

Scotty
12-08-2004, 10:13 PM
is that black, BLACK liek a fly ?

Paranoid Dave
12-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Tea tray! Oh ha ha very funny. I'd need the old subframe for that ;)

Belt covers, if only, think i'll stick with the black ones now as the metal's a no no.

S. Arm - have phoned around, looked, emailed but nothing. I know of one complete rear end for sale but was contacting through a friend and still no answer :( I have another plan though but it's not for forum discussion. PM :D

DesmoDog
15-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Alex,

you never answered the questions about bead blasting and spraying. Byron, is crinkle a matt pain type similar to the one Dom used. Can anyone recommend stockists?

A Yerbury
15-09-2004, 11:50 AM
sorry!! err I used a combination of things but nothing pro, just black n decker n elbow grease n H******s products.

DesmoDog
15-09-2004, 11:57 AM
You're going to have to PM them there products over to me. The nanny thinks its a bad word!!
#

A Yerbury
15-09-2004, 12:05 PM
well the cases and covers were stripped with Nitro, turps and paper (off the bike), similar with the engine fins although I used a few wire brush drill attachments to get most of the flaky stuff off first (they are a bit wide to go between the fins so I had to trim the brush a bit) did not take too long and I did not worry too much about the non visible bits (upright cylinder is still a bizarre airfix silver courtesy of prev owner!)

madhatter
15-09-2004, 12:18 PM
:cool: I see a red bike and I want to paint it BLACK!!!!

There was a Black, Black, Black, S4R at the Aylesbury "On-Yer-Bike" day with Silver "Ducati Performance" decals on the tank (Damn, I wished I'd seen them in the flesh before I got my Silver "Ducati Monster" ones).....it looked the dogs!! :D

A Yerbury
15-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Im getting a few tank scratches out soon and have ordered some reto ones for the side to match the one on the back. the nice thing about this decal kit is u get 5 sheets of 8 decals so like last years set there may be more of als freebies on the horizon.
AY.
ps I put the d wing logo badge thing on and it looks super duper cool!!

DesmoDog
15-09-2004, 03:31 PM
What the hell are H********s products?

nik_the_brief
15-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Halfords.

Purveyors of overloud stereo amps and naff shiny bits/ neon windscreen washer lights etc. for clapped out chavmobiles. :)

DesmoDog
16-09-2004, 09:06 AM
oooh! That explains the blanks then! :rolleyes:

spacemonkey
16-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey! Why did you swap that nice Ducati for a Gilera?

A Yerbury
16-09-2004, 04:03 PM
enough with the gilera jibes already! cheekymonkey...