PDA

View Full Version : Monster (still) doesn't start..

gallardo
12-08-2004, 12:19 PM
You may remember me.. Right after I bought my M600 Dark I realised It had been sold with an electric problem. Took it to Daytona in town, which couldn't solve it and I wasn't impressed (at all) by their service (check my Daytona No! post..)

Well, it's been 2 & a half months since I've got it and still frustrated!! The bike keeps cutting off when it gets hot. The ignition fuse keeps blowing up, usually after a half an hour ride, or shorter if carrying someone at the back. Change the fuse, wait until it cools down and off I go again... for half an hour.

I took it to Daytona in Ruislip and couldn't solve it, then the local garage who found some wire shortcutting with the alarm, but still wasn't that. I've been watching it and thinking it can be alarm related, as it sits on the back and specially happens when someone is on it. Does it make any sense?

I can come in to work with it, which is about 5 miles, but 'jodido' I am not enjoying the bike in 'summer' and have always to carry the bloody fuses with me!!

Any help of what it could be?

Plum
12-08-2004, 12:32 PM
As an idea, i had a similar problem with my Yammy XT. It would cut out after a certaim amount of time. I fixed it by replacing the ignition coil. May not work for you, but has to be worth looking at.

I know how frustrating it is when you can sort a gremlin like this.

Good luck dude

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 12:44 PM
these things one really need to see in the flesh. no longer in london sorry mate. i saw some cheap coils on ebay. there is an independant ducati geezer down in wandsworth who has a good rep if u want to eschew the daytona mob. cant recall his name but someone may remember.
good luck. sods law when you find it its easy. thats electrics...fun fun fun

Dave in USA
12-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Mine would do that from time to time, turned out that a wire from the alarm (fitted at a certain dealer in Ruislip) :confused: was being worn through when 2 up!!

Re-routed wire, and replaced fuse....again & all was fine.... :D

gallardo
12-08-2004, 02:37 PM
They've always found a wire to rewire, but not the right one I guess. I'll disconect the alarm and see what happens. I need the bike to take it to the airport often and can't do at the moment!! Enough moaning for a Thursday..

gallardo
17-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Still not joy with the bike. It'd stop when it's hot, specially carrying someone. As I was sold the bike like that, it concerns me that the seller knew it may have been something really wrong with it. Don't know much about bikes, but could this be possible?

And, I didn't get the bike with warranty as bying it privately but, is there any kind of right that protects the buyer in this case?

Bobble
17-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Still not joy with the bike. It'd stop when it's hot, specially carrying someone. As I was sold the bike like that, it concerns me that the seller knew it may have been something really wrong with it. Don't know much about bikes, but could this be possible?

And, I didn't get the bike with warranty as bying it privately but, is there any kind of right that protects the buyer in this case?

I must admit I for one am not sure, however if you get in touch with your local Trading standards office I am sure that they could point you in the wright direction....if you bought it from a dealer you could argue that it is "not fit for the purpose it was sold for" etc, but privately you would have to prove that the seller new about it.... good luck, hope you sort it out :)

Scotty
17-08-2004, 01:23 PM
realy stupid idea just short the fuse out and eventually the problem componant will become 'visible ' when it bursts into flame