PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Tank Advice

madhatter
11-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I've got a 1997 Monster with a Silver Petrol Tank with the raised lettering "Ducati Monster".

I want the tank to be gloss Black, so here is the dilema;

1) Has anyone had a tank resprayed at a very good price, including the logo being put back on/or carefully masked off? If so who, where and how much?

2) If I buy a new tank I think I need to proceed with caution. Is it right that the tank shape changed when they moved from carbs (My 750) to fuel injection and is it also right that the S4 tank is a different shape again. :confused:

I throw myself upon the experience and wisdom of the forum...... :confused:

Fosse Foxfight
11-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Hatter, recently had my tank resprayed (pics to follow :cool: )
The "raised letters" are just a transfer. You can just get a new transfer with either your current "DUCATI MONSTER" OR A PLAIN "DUCATI".

You then have two choices, you can either spray and lacquer the tank and apply the transfer on afterwards, or you can let the base coat set, usually for about 3 weeks, apply the transfer and then lacquer over the transfer.

My advice would be to finish the tank let set for 3 weeks and then apply the transfer. Its every bit as convincing. I'll stick some pics of mine up.

Sean

Melnie Mouse
11-08-2004, 12:53 PM
well I don't know where Amphill is whether it's far or not, but I know a good chap(s) who does excellent work, Phil & Dave at Autobodies, 01243 773715...
he does crash repairables, restorations and paint jobs whatever you like.. :)

CK & AK
11-08-2004, 01:16 PM
2) If I buy a new tank I think I need to proceed with caution. Is it right that the tank shape changed when they moved from carbs (My 750) to fuel injection and is it also right that the S4 tank is a different shape again. :confused:

The 'ie' tanks are different - they have the fuel injection units inside the tanks, the fuel filler cap is different too - The dark still has the plastic slightly smaller capacity tank tho, but otherwise is the same as other ie models. S4 has the same tank as all other 'ie' models (I think)

C

madhatter
11-08-2004, 01:23 PM
The "raised letters" are just a transfer..... My advice would be to finish the tank let set for 3 weeks and then apply the transfer...
Sean

Thanks Fosse, I guess the transfers can be purchased from any Ducati dealer, so I'll get some quotes on price and delivery for these up front. I think you are right about allowing 3 weeks then lacquering the transfers...but Man......four weeks without my Monnie!!!.....think I'd have to borrow a spare tank from someone. You didn't say, how much it cost you.??.....looking forward to the photographs.

Cheers.

madhatter
11-08-2004, 01:27 PM
well I don't know where Amphill is whether it's far or not....

Ampthill is in Bedfordshire between Luton and Bedford........see the threads about the Clophill Tuesday Bike Meeting.........where abouts are Autobodies located? Sounds like a national company (Autoglass)? Any ideas about costs? How did you get to hear of them?

Ta.

Billy Bigwheels
11-08-2004, 01:37 PM
S4 & 1000 tank are different.

madhatter
11-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks Billy,

See also CK and AK's advice about the i.e tanks, like I said, "proceed with caution".....if I do just buy a replacement tank I think it will need to be a pre-2000 and pre-fuel injection tank to fit...doubtful if any of these will be gloss black...so looks like I'll be pursuing the paint option...

Cheers Pal!

A Yerbury
11-08-2004, 03:38 PM
are here we go...If the tank is to be repainted then the orig lacquer/decals/paint and base will be taken back then done afresh. give the paint person yr decals and he will/should put them on before the laquer (2 days not two weeks as the lac needs to bind with the ink) at least this is what the guy who did mine er did) I almost wish he didnt as I cant just unpick the decals and put some retro jobs on......currently seaching net for a big enough one to go over the top.
Alex.
ps I wouldnt pay much more than a 100 esp as its gloss black and not a fancy ink
pps very good idea! the silver tank doesnt go and as for the tank protector...thats caberg flip lid scottoiler territory!

Fosse Foxfight
11-08-2004, 03:50 PM
are here we go...If the tank is to be repainted then the orig lacquer/decals/paint and base will be taken back then done afresh. give the paint person yr decals and he will/should put them on before the laquer (2 days not two weeks as the lac needs to bind with the ink)

I almost wish he didnt as I cant just unpick the decals and put some retro jobs on......currently seaching net for a big enough one to go over the top.
Alex.

Sorry yes Alex, if youre gonna put the decal under the lacquer then its quicker, but as Alex says, I wouldnt bother lacquering the decal in.
Much better to have the tank sprayed base coat, lacquered, then leave 3 weeks and then apply decal above lacquer so that at any stage you can change it should you wish

Fosse Foxfight
11-08-2004, 03:53 PM
I almost wish he didnt as I cant just unpick the decals and put some retro jobs on......currently seaching net for a big enough one to go over the top.

Alex, you could still cut round the decal thru the lacquer and remove it. Then carefully mask around where the decal was, and apply some lacquer to level with either an airbrush or a brush, then place the new decal over the top.

A Yerbury
11-08-2004, 03:59 PM
could do, thing is it was a pro job using a bespoke matallic red...I just know Id f**k it up!!
mh found these earlier and the gold should be available in silver.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2486625177&category=35616
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10490&item=7914299452&rd=1

DesmoDog
11-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Yerbs, very nice decals, do you ever buy anything from the States?

madhatter
11-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Yes, I'd have to agree Alex, they are different from the norm and look the biz! I've never bought anything of e-bay from the States either, but guess as long as the postage isn't too Bad and you can pay with PayPal....what's the difference! I may just have a go now..... :burnout:

A Yerbury
11-08-2004, 05:39 PM
a couple of things. postage wise decals shouldnt weigh to much! Ive got a retro wing logo on my lid, would look v v v classy on a glossy black monster.

madhatter
11-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Photo!!! Photo!!! Photo!!! Feck!!! Women!!! Drink!!!

gary tompkins
11-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Whole bike resprayed (tank,sidepanels,tailpiece, bellypan & mudguard) for £150 by a mate in the trade. Complete set of Cagiva style logos from Spareshask for £25. Late style front fairing matched, and cowl & belly pan repainted (due to stone damage) at a later date for an extra £50 ;)

madhatter
11-08-2004, 06:28 PM
You Jammy Git......that's what you call a mate.....nice paint job!

Little Monster
11-08-2004, 06:54 PM
a couple of things. postage wise decals shouldnt weigh to much! Ive got a retro wing logo on my lid, would look v v v classy on a glossy black monster.

pah. would look better on a dark (but then most things do) :cool:

A Yerbury
11-08-2004, 07:30 PM
most things do look good on a dark. final coat of paint being one thing!

madhatter
12-08-2004, 07:30 AM

Hammerite or Airfix??? :lol:

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 07:41 AM
dulux or ronseal.....

gary tompkins
12-08-2004, 03:13 PM

Couldn't agree more. My original dark finish wore through to bare metal on the tank in 6 months - which is why mine ended up being resprayed metallic red.

madhatter
12-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Hmmmmm.....yet another UKMOC debate about to rear it's ugly head......

"Do you think 'Darks' are pants or are they cool?"

No...No...I'm only joking, for gods sake don't post a reply!!!

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 04:07 PM
heres to lush mettalic redness.....(engines/rearsets/hangers/frame black) belly pan not attached in this pic due to cant be arsed yet ness

gary tompkins
12-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Hmmmmm.....yet another UKMOC debate about to rear it's ugly head......

"Do you think 'Darks' are pants or are they cool?"

No...No...I'm only joking, for gods sake don't post a reply!!!

I think that Darks are cool - it's just the factory paint finish that's pants :rolleyes:

M900Dom
12-08-2004, 05:08 PM

What like this you mean :D

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL93/2039551/3951420/56649422.jpg

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 05:14 PM
close, its the one with the eagle I considered but yeah, I thought about that one on mine, I had a 6 sheets of retro onces but opted for this one instead.

Little Monster
12-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Couldn't agree more. My original dark finish wore through to bare metal on the tank in 6 months - which is why mine ended up being resprayed metallic red.

what the heck were you doing with it?!?!?!

mine's ok and not heard of anyone else having this problem so i'm thinking praps you belly rubbed it down to bare metal (although from your avatar your belly looks quite flat).

darks rule - gloss/shine/metallic is pap. (apart from the polished alloy/cromed ones like PD's)

A Yerbury
12-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Well I do like darks, yes but would I choose a one off bespoke red, in eyeball melting knicker dissolving sparkly hues over yet another -yawn- matt black? they are "quite" cool but alas also very common and a bit passe. I have also known tooooo many pleby bikers over the years with mad max themed matt black chopped down jap horrors to be impressed with it any more.
so there. :)

Byron Kauffman
12-08-2004, 06:58 PM
This is a good site for vintage decals. They have both water transfers and adheasive decals. I use them a lot and everything is perfect.
http://www.domiracer.com/store_decals.html

I buy stuff from your side all the time on ebay with no problems. If is something small like decals it will go just as a letter or small packet, very reasonable price. If you buy from the US, tell the seller to use USPost for shipping. It is less paperwork and usually the lowest price. FedEx and UPS will kill you.

gary tompkins
13-08-2004, 05:37 PM
what the heck were you doing with it?!?!?!

mine's ok and not heard of anyone else having this problem so i'm thinking praps you belly rubbed it down to bare metal (although from your avatar your belly looks quite flat).

darks rule - gloss/shine/metallic is pap. (apart from the polished alloy/cromed ones like PD's)

Nowt to do with belly - although my leathers do seem to have shrunk a bit these days :p The paint wore through on the top corners of the knee cutout on the tank sides, where the knees of my leathers rubbed against it & started to rust :(

I always bought the 900 dark with a plan to re-paint it at some stage, just didn't expect to have to do it so soon!