PDA

View Full Version : Mallory track day an annual event

Dave Pearson
09-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Sorry if it's been debated before, but are we doing it again?
Oh go on...pleeeeeaaasssseeee :D :D :D :D :D with a cherry on top :D

Dave

fatbloke
09-08-2004, 07:40 PM
I've got some ideas in my head and if they come off next years track day (and there
will be one) will be bigger and better.
Does that answer your question?

Dave Pearson
09-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks Terry, it certainly does :D
Can you give us just a little iddy biddy clue :D :D

I know these things can take some organising, if I can help in any way, let me know, even if it's just 'Shut up' :lol:

Dave

fatbloke
09-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks Terry, it certainly does :D
Can you give us just a little iddy biddy clue
Not yet Dave there just ideas but it should be good
Thanks for the offer of help i'll keep you in mind.
TERRY

Nigel C
09-08-2004, 09:12 PM
just make sure it's at Brands hatch so us southern softies don't have to travel 180 odd miles to watch ;)

Banshee
09-08-2004, 09:27 PM
i'll start saving :rolleyes:

marchesini
09-08-2004, 09:30 PM
just make sure it's at Brands hatch so us southern softies don't have to travel 180 odd miles to watch ;)

How about going south from Brighton - to Bologna & Misano?? Imagine 100+ monnies making their way towards Italy.

A tentative schedule:
a 3 day track session with all the bikes (including the Moto GP bike with lowered seat height for the shorties) and spares that Ducati can throw at us. Instructors will be the Bostrom brothers for Day 1, Chili, Hodgson and Bayliss for Day 2 and Capirex and Xaus for Day 3 (hey, we don't want all the bikes getting trashed on the first day with Ruben around).

Randy Mamola will also be on hand offering free pillion rides for the brave and for the extra brave people, Wee Johnny B will also be giving pillion rides :eek: :eek:

All for a cheaper price than Mallory, :D :D

Come on Terry, surely the King of blag should be able to sort out this for us?? Put me down for a couple of places Terry.

simon

crust
09-08-2004, 10:26 PM

Would love it to be Brands but it costs three times as much to hire.

Mallory is a nice little circuit, not very hard to learn and with no tricky bits to catch people out.

Go up and camp the night before, make it a small holiday, a mini-adventure.

Anyway, watch, give it a try, have a go on track. Speak to people on here who had a go ,they'll tell you its a top laugh and not at all like people think track day will be.

:) Crust

Scotty
09-08-2004, 10:33 PM
think id rather have a go on a different track
though having said that i didnt get a proper go at mallory anyways

Pedro
09-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Anyway, watch, give it a try, have a go on track. Speak to people on here who had a go ,they'll tell you its a top laugh and not at all like people think track day will be.

:) Crust

Rumour has it Mr Crust that you were quite quick around Mallory - time spent as a dispatcher was wel spent eh?

:D

Ped

gary tompkins
09-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Rumour has it Mr Crust that you were quite quick around Mallory - time spent as a dispatcher was wel spent eh?

:D

Ped

He was once he managed to hot wire the bike and get some petrol in the tank :lol:

Wot no keys? :D

BoozyBOB
09-08-2004, 11:38 PM
I'm with Crust and Terry...keep it low cost for the members(oopps Scotsman here)..and the members want a fun day out/learning on the track...
...well done on the Mallory day...
(i will be there next time)

JR
03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
So, what is the latest plan for another track day now that 2005 is with us Terry my boy? Or have I missed the plot!

JR

fatbloke
03-01-2005, 06:38 PM
We're trying to sort a date with No limits, DucatiUK, Ducati Insurance, Shell and
a couple of others as soon as its set I'll post the date and forms.

JR
03-01-2005, 06:53 PM
We're trying to sort a date with No limits, DucatiUK, Ducati Insurance, Shell and
a couple of others as soon as its set I'll post the date and forms.
Thank you Mr Fatbloke.

JR

NattyBoy
03-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Looking forward to it..M900UKs S4 challenge stuff is waiting to be dusted down in the garage ! :D :D :D At least my choice of weapon should be a bit quicker too this year !! :D :D

Nat

Mand
03-01-2005, 07:30 PM
I was a spectator last year and you looked pretty quick to me Nat! :)

Paranoid Dave
03-01-2005, 07:43 PM
I spectated last year and can't wait to be a spectator again this year ;)

Mand
03-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Well Dave, I'm gonna give it a go this year (all being well!) looks like fun. :)

Zimbo
03-01-2005, 09:49 PM
And I've just bought a monster now, so will be allowed on track rather than just tinker with people's bikes, offer rearset fitting services, and marvel at Mr Crust operating without keys :p :p :p

marchesini
03-01-2005, 10:34 PM
...... offer rearset fitting services,

oh arse, does that mean I have to bring my own spanners now?

Thanks again and see you there,

simon

NattyBoy
04-01-2005, 07:32 AM
I was a spectator last year and you looked pretty quick to me Nat! :)

Awww..thanks Mand !!! Poor old Jasper was blowing out of his arse down those straights though :lol:

Cheers
Nat

welshman
04-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Last Years Track Day Was One Of My Hightlights In 2004

Looking Forward To This Years Allready

Nice One, Sir Mr Fatbloke

SazzaG
04-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Hehe, with my new S4, I'm either going to have a fab time, or kill myself!

Problem is now my S4 is in joint ownership with him indoors, there might be a bit of fight to see who rides it round the track!

I'm sure we can come to some kind of amicable arrangement... Here's hoping I can make the dates.

Saz

gary tompkins
04-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Any clue on the venue yet - or have I missed that somewhere else on the forum?

Scotty
04-01-2005, 05:16 PM
maybe i should 'invest' in a trailer aragment this time
hummm

fatbloke
04-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Any clue on the venue yet - or have I missed that somewhere else on the forum?

The trackday will be held at Mallory Park again its central location is ideal
for more members to take part. I'm trying to get a date in mid June.

Julie
04-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Yippy!! and this time I'm going to do the track day and not watch it!!!!

Mand
04-01-2005, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=NattyBoy]Awww..thanks Mand !!! Poor old Jasper was blowing out of his arse down those straights though :lol:

Ooo Nat, you have played into Didge's hands with a comment like that. Fart power etc. etc. :lol:

I want to have go this time too. I now have my fully zipped two piece suit now - no excuse not to do it.

Banshee
04-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Glad to hear its a Malory again....with me having bonded with the ambulace crew and that already... cant wait, hope joos and roos is up for the pre race bbq again i can have another tail chop..... :rolleyes:

Julie
05-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Glad to hear its a Malory again....with me having bonded with the ambulace crew and that already... cant wait, hope joos and roos is up for the pre race bbq again i can have another tail chop..... :rolleyes:

yes we will have a pre-race gathering again, and yes you can have another tail chop. I still have your frame from the last one...its the only thing left of your bike!!!

Kev Bunney
05-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Sounds like a good one to watch this time, think I`ll spectate !

gary tompkins
05-01-2005, 07:00 PM
The trackday will be held at Mallory Park again its central location is ideal
for more members to take part. I'm trying to get a date in mid June.

I really hope it's not 11th/12th June as I'm pretty much committed to covering the BMF GEMS show with NABD, and would be gutted to miss the trackday :(

fatbloke
05-01-2005, 07:07 PM
I really hope it's not 11th/12th June as I'm pretty much committed to covering the BMF GEMS show with NABD, and would be gutted to miss the trackday :(

it won't be mate the track day will most likely be on a Tuesday or Thursday

gary tompkins
05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Forgot the trackday was mid-week last year - whatanob :o

Happy bunny now :bunny:

I guess it'll be the same Monsters only rule again for 2005?

fatbloke
05-01-2005, 07:22 PM
I guess it'll be the same Monsters only rule again for 2005?

you know it makes sense

Spike
05-01-2005, 08:00 PM
But Kev I wanted to ride in your group :burnout:

Julie
06-01-2005, 05:49 AM
But Kev I wanted to ride in your group :burnout:

thats why he's watching this year, he dosn't want you to show him up x :bunny:

Phoenix
07-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Count me in please.

celt
09-01-2005, 10:09 PM
if i can afford the tyres again im in. i shredded the rear last year. :D
if money to tight then i'll just spectate. :mad:

hope i get invite to barbie hint hint :twisted:

claicerrig
10-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Celt

I`v got a spare set of tyres you can have if it means you can go :cool:
they are fine in the middle in fact like new but the edges will give street cred like you would not belive :D :D
I`v booked the dates off in work today just to make sure :)

celt
10-01-2005, 10:13 PM
thats a great gesture. thank you. if it comes down 2 it i will take you up on it as its great pootling around the track at speed and i'd hate 2 miss it.

cheers
celt

claicerrig
11-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Just had a thought Celt :confused: :confused:

What size are your tyres just in case they dont fit :o :o

Clai

celt
11-01-2005, 07:08 PM
tubless radial

size 120/60 - V17 front

160/60 - V17

M900nster
11-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I really enjoyed last year's track day, and I'd encourage anyone who fancies it to have a go. However, I think there's something we should discuss:

After last year's track day, several members mentioned how they were surprised, un-nerved, etc. by No Limits 'instructors' overtaking them, going some 20-30MPH faster. I didn't post about this at the time, but I did see it happening on the track more than once and I too thought it seemed dangerous and completely pointless. Surely track day organisers don't encourage their instructors to blow everyone into the weeds. So what was going on? It looked like they were frustrated and wanted to show us how much faster we ought to be going.

I wonder if No Limits hadn't appreciated the difference between our kind of event, and an average track day: A lot of the riders at an average track day are regulars, and many of them also race or have raced bikes regularly. There are of course novices too, but they are a small minority and either never do it again, or become addicts and quickly build up experience. Whoever is asked to run one of our track days must realise that ours is NOT an average track day because for the vast majority it will be the only track day we'll do all year, and a really big proportion are first timers. At last year's UKMOC track day too many of us wanted to go in the novice group so No Limits were asking for more experienced riders (not necessarily track experience) to join the intermediates. I would like to suggest we are divided into two novice groups (equal in status and ability) and an intermediate/fast group, and that the instructors are made to realise that the latter group is unlikely to be as experienced/fast as the slow group at an 'average' track day. This might help the instructors not to get frustrated. Having said that, I don't think there's an excuse for instructors who have a tendency to show off. I remember feeling that if I'd cut people up like they did, I'd have been black flagged and thrown off the track.
Henry

Phoenix
11-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Agreed m900ster and I think that they should be made aware of this for this years event.
One of the instructors was black flagged in the end. Bad show in my opinion they are there to instruct.

claicerrig
12-01-2005, 07:22 PM
After last year i`v been hooked on trackdays and that was after 26yrs non stop riding and never been on a track never mind a trackday

So beware its addictive :twisted: :twisted:

The last trackday i did the insturctors moved me up to the fastest group because they said i would gain more experience and have more fun following fast racers rather than overtaking/undertakling slower riders worring about what might happen :eek: :eek:

This year we have last years experince to go (Look At it this way .We wernt sure at the start if we could fill all the places. I bet this year it fills very quickly).So we all now the pitfalls and problems and can address them early so as to allay any fears

Celt those tyres are 180 rears would they still fit on the rim ?

Clai

Dave Pearson
12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I really enjoyed last year's track day, and I'd encourage anyone who fancies it to have a go. However, I think there's something we should discuss:

After last year's track day, several members mentioned how they were surprised, un-nerved, etc. by No Limits 'instructors' overtaking them, going some 20-30MPH faster. I didn't post about this at the time, but I did see it happening on the track more than once and I too thought it seemed dangerous and completely pointless. Surely track day organisers don't encourage their instructors to blow everyone into the weeds. So what was going on? It looked like they were frustrated and wanted to show us how much faster we ought to be going..........

Henry

I agree with you Henry. I thoroughly enjoyed the track day last year, it was my first, and definately not my last.
I personally went there to learn more about how to ride my Monster faster, how to take a better line around corners and what the bike, and more importantly, my limitations are without worrying about Gatso's etc. I did not go there to race.
I got 'spooked' a couple of times when I had commited myself to a corner at speed, only to find myself with someone else intent on overtaking on the inside.......... :eek:

I personally think that it would be better to have groups divided into people who are out for a 'Race', and those that are out to ride fast, if you see what I mean. I suppose we could have another group for those that want to bimble down to the shops as well if required :lol:
I stayed in the 'slow' group all day last time, and towards the end of the day we had a nearly empty track :burnout:

I will also make better use of the guy's from No Limits time on my next visit. I might even get me fat arse out of the seat and get me knee down next time (and make an arse of meself in the process no doubt).

Anyway, that's my two penneth worth. Can't wait to see you all again at Mallory, fingers crossed for the weather.......

Dave

fatbloke
12-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I agree with a lot of the above comments
last year was our first track day and we learnt
a hell of a lot.
This year we (UKMOC) will have much
better idea of what us as members want.
And it will be my job to as many people
happy as i can.

Phoenix
12-01-2005, 08:26 PM
It was brilliant Terry and I can't think of anyone who didn't really enjoy it. Even Banshee :eek:
I think this years will be even better. So many people last year made such a huge effort and I think it's fabulous how so many who'd never even thought of going on the track gave it a go.
Excellent fun had by all :D

JMo
12-01-2005, 08:34 PM
I totally agree with Henry too - although I must say I didn't have any altercation with the instructors myself, admittedly I did witness one or two being overly aggressive...

I guess part of the problem stemmed from the instructors being on a circuit they knew every inch of, and on their own bikes that were set up specifically for track work...

Whereas the vast majority of us were on road-going set-ups, and as has been said, for many of us it was our first time on a track, never mind at Mallory...

Maybe the instructors ought to be on Monsters too - although I doubt any of us (and certainly not DUK) would lend them a a ride, eh WJB? x

xxx

celt
12-01-2005, 09:35 PM
i have no idea if i could squeeze a 180 rear on my 620. will have to ask someone else.

still waiting for the bike to come back after its engine casing re-spray.

i will certainly be louder at mallory this year.

anyone know if you can put a 180 rear on a 160 rim without disasterous results???????????

if not do they sell old tyres at mallory?

JMo
12-01-2005, 10:00 PM
i have no idea if i could squeeze a 180 rear on my 620. will have to ask someone else... ...anyone know if you can put a 180 rear on a 160 rim without disasterous results?

The 620/800* has a 4.5 inch wide rear wheel, the 900/1000/S4/S4R has a 5.5 inch rim - I would think you really ought to have the wider rim for a 180 tyre, otherwise the carcass may not be supported properly...

*The S2R also has a 180 tyre, but it has the same wheels as the S4R of course...

xxx

Scotty
12-01-2005, 10:03 PM
i know a 190 fits on the s4 bwuhahahahar how usless am i

doesn't save engine cases though :(

fatbloke
13-01-2005, 06:15 AM
if not do they sell old tyres at mallory?

they did last year

celt
13-01-2005, 07:00 AM
i cant get over how bloody good this site is.

cheers everybody especially Clai for the offer.

if i get there i will invest in some old rubber :eek: remember children its a tyre.

gary tompkins
19-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Terry,

Any idea on a firm date for Mallory 2005 yet? I've been asked if I want to go out to the IOM TT with NABD again this year (3rd-7th June) and don't want to double book myself for the track day.

fatbloke
20-01-2005, 03:39 PM
we're 99% sure it will be thursday 9th june we are still waiting
for mallory Park to confirm the race calendar, But as the track-day
is a thursday its unlikely to change.

gary tompkins
20-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks Terry :)

spares geezer
22-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Bugger!

Looks like it's going to clash with the TT so at least 2 of last years would be racers won't be there..... :(

Spanner
29-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Excuses excuses. I reckon you just don't want to let Dave Woods loose on your bike again!!!!!

Doug