PDA

View Full Version : Corse Striping - Blue Peter Style

madhatter
06-08-2004, 04:26 PM
After what seems like ages, I've finally managed to get a couple of photos of my DIY (Best Blue Peter) Corse Striping. Allthough the Ducati Corse Kit looks good on some colour Monsters (Red & Yellow in my opinion), I didn't like it on black, the stripe just seemed too wide.

I therefore bought two of the "Gell type" raised Corse Decals for £3.75 and managed to track down some pinstriping tape in one Halfords store (want to customise your Mk4 Cortina do you Son?), which was in the storeroom and cost me £3.50 for about 20 Metres. Superior Skinflint! ;)

I marked out the Seat Cowl, Flyscreen and Front Mudguard with masking tape and then applied it by hand......it ain't perfect, but I'm pleased with the end result for a first attempt. I then added the Ducati Corse Tank Protector. :D

madhatter
06-08-2004, 04:31 PM
I've also added one looking along the length of the bike, as inspired by the works of A Yerbury.

Little Monster
06-08-2004, 04:40 PM
are those cans GOLD??????

jeez louise. gold AND silver bits on your bike. what are you? a pimp? :D

madhatter
06-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean.......it does look a little strange from the rear view, but as the frame forks and bar ends are also anodised Gold, when you see it in the flesh (Oh yeah Baby) it looks ok......maybe you will see for your self at the next UKMOC getogether!

Gotta go downtown now to slap up mi bitches!!

Byron Kauffman
06-08-2004, 05:16 PM
how about a photo of the front faring? I like the low glass, whos makes it?

madhatter
06-08-2004, 05:31 PM
The Flyscreen is solid gloss black plastic ABS or similar (no glass), it's small and low, but still manages to lift the wind off your chest to head height making riding at over 85mph for an hour or more achieveable. I did some hand pin striping on this to, which was difficult because it curves in all three axis, however those who have seen it like the effect! ;)

I got it through the Internet, I think it was originally from a company called "Busters", maybe if you do an internet search, you will find them online.

Allows it to still be "almost" a naked Bike... :burnout:

Little Monster
06-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean.......it does look a little strange from the rear view, but as the frame forks and bar ends are also anodised Gold, when you see it in the flesh (Oh yeah Baby) it looks ok......maybe you will see for your self at the next UKMOC getogether!

Gotta go downtown now to slap up mi bitches!!

:D :D :D :D

madhatter
11-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi Alex,

So you've been off on a narrow boat for a few days then....no doubt selling vibrantly painted flower pots and tea pots on the canal path, in between mystic fortune telling......you may have missed the end result of my cheap-skate attemp to add a home grown Corse Striping kit to my Monnie....No tank stripe like yours, but then the idea was to pick out the silver of the tank onto the gloss black of the remaining body work. How are you getting on with your USA search for decals?

A Yerbury
11-08-2004, 10:22 AM
was I looking for decals? oi tink thats someone else, I have enough....maybe a couple for small ones for the side panels. The boat jaunt was ok but I prefer rivers, the canal s just too claustrophobic. As for painted flower pots, well its my ex's boat so despite her being one of the wealthiest people I know she does have a very pikey craft! Jet black with teeth on the front and a yamaha dirt bike lashed to the back. you have done a tidy job with the stripes there. skinflints unite!!

madhatter
11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Jet Black Boat with sharks teeth on the front!!....My God, I'm sure I've seen that boat driven by "Doctor Death" in the film "The Great Race" with Tony Curtis!

Glad you like the stripes. Never done pinstriping before and what you see was the first and only attempt. Seems to be a knack of just keeping the stripe under mild tension and feeding it around the curves with your thumb, so it bends. They were just the right size and I still can't believe my luck at finding them in Halfords for under a Fiver!!

"Still savouring the cheapskateness of it all on my skinflint palate".

So what's the next hack/cut/paint/ project with Mr. Yerbury's beast, as I've clearly got confused about you looking for something in the USA?

A Yerbury
11-08-2004, 12:09 PM
the next cosmetic thing is one of these from the states, trouble is the badge is upside down on monster 600 s so I had to wait while they hunted down an upside down one, should be getting it any day now though. I am not looking forward to the inevitabley troublesome bolt removal but there we go. essentials wise is bleed the back through the goodridge properly and find a cheap place for fork seal fix (both of em) have some pics due soon of birds eye stripes and black painted casings (with ducati logos in touch up mettalic red..very airfix/bluepeter)

madhatter
11-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Oooohhh! Well flash!! I'm suprised you didn't order bulk and then sell the remainder on the forum to cover your own costs (cheapskate attitude), think they would have shifted quickly.

Birds eye stripes and airfix logos!!!! Can't wait.......so much more satisfying than ordering a Ducati Genuine set, then waiting the three months for it to arrive, then seeing the same thing on everyone elses bike, then spending the next three months paying it off your Barclaycard.....

Paranoid Dave
13-08-2004, 07:33 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=3751

looks the dogs to me, absolute top stuff, strange having black bits and a silver tank? Just think if the tank matched, some retro decals and it would be a real sexy retro 1960's look monster.

Yerby, oh why didn't you order more of them ;) :cool:

madhatter
13-08-2004, 07:42 PM
looks the dogs to me, absolute top stuff, strange having black bits and a silver tank.....

Thanks Dave, like I said it was my first attempt and I'm pleased with it, but it's always nice to hear it from somebody else... :D ...I'm getting quotes in now to have the Silver tank re-sprayed Gloss Black and lacquered....just trying to decide if I want the original raised DUCATI MONSTER decals replaced or if I want to try something different.....Hmmmmmm???? :rolleyes:

A Yerbury
13-08-2004, 07:46 PM
they were sent to my sister in berkley first just to avoid hm customs, a bit cheapskate. I may email stu with a pic as he could buy a batch and they would sell. Althogh I like the fact that so few uk monsters have them he sniffs!!

madhatter
13-08-2004, 07:50 PM
.....I like the fact that so few uk monsters have them he sniffs!!

A bit like a Silver Tank on an all Black Bike?....he questioned unconvincingly....

A Yerbury
13-08-2004, 07:52 PM
err kind of..............

Paranoid Dave
13-08-2004, 07:53 PM
http://www.grandprixlegends.com/public/pictures/thumbs/du405.jpg

I'd use this logo but in gold on a black tank. Keep it flat. While you're at it, take off your hugger and cowl and get them laquered over the stripes too :D

Now that would be one sexy looking monsta :twisted:

A Yerbury
13-08-2004, 07:56 PM
I had 5 of those, tricky sods though as each line was seperate. loose the tail while u r at it steven!!!

madhatter
13-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Lose the tail!!!......Lose the tail!!!. :eek: :eek: :eek: ....I just bought that 2002 tail to replace the old manky 1997 one....and I like it!....you wait till I tell Julie and Ruth what you said.... :twisted: :twisted:

(seriously, I want to be able to make it look fairly standard when I trade it in)

A Yerbury
13-08-2004, 08:02 PM
now I AM scared....... :rolleyes:

Julie
13-08-2004, 08:23 PM
now I AM scared....... :rolleyes:
You should be Mr Yerbs !!!

We are a proud tail group and we also out number you short arses!!! so watch it or we will come and get you while you are sleeping!

PS looking good Madhatter

A Yerbury
13-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I know kung fu and always sleep with one eye open so bring it on girls! short arse? streamlined lean mean machines I belive......!