PDA

View Full Version : Differences in forks year to year.

norrie
04-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Can someone tell me the difference in forks year to year?
i.e. what is the difference between forks off a 2002 900 compared to a 1998 600?
I have the front wheel off a 900 but when I offered it up to the bike it is no good as the bearing diameter is bigger i.e. the wheel spindle just slides right through the wheel.
What I am wondering is do I just need the correct wheel spindle or are the forks different?

Any help is appreciated as always.

Thanks.

Norrie.

Pedro
04-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Hi Norrie

the later models had a larger wheel spindle - not sure when it changed though.

Are you replacing your bike piece by piece?

:D

Ped

gary tompkins
04-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Later Monster forks use the larger diameter SS/916/S4 style hollow spindle, not sure what year this changed but I'm guessing about 1999-2000. Easiest solution would be to get the correct front wheel complete with spindle, but you might be able to fit the later wheel if the bearings are swapped to suit your 600's smaller solid spindle?

Byron Kauffman
05-08-2004, 03:03 AM
My bike started out as a 2000 750 and it had the smaller diameter axle. I swapped forks for dual brakes and the larger axle setup (something that came back to bite me later when I went to wire spoke wheels).
I am sure you can change bearings to run the later wheels with the small axle. Just take inside, outside and width measurments you need to your local bearing shop. I would be more help but the shop I use for my work is on holiday so I cant get part numbers for the bearings.

fatbloke
05-08-2004, 05:17 AM
i think you will find the brake caliper mounts are different as well

gary tompkins
05-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Norrie,

As FB quite rightly states the caliper mount is different too.

Earlier fork bottom for small spindle...

gary tompkins
05-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Later bottoms with different caliper/mudguard mounting and hollow spindle...

norrie
05-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys.
I think I will just use the front wheel that is on the bike.
Are you replacing your bike piece by piece?
No.
It's just when I got the aluminum swingarm from the breakers I wanted the wider rear wheel as well.
The breaker would only sell the wheels as a pair so I bought both of them.
To be honest I thought it would come in handy as I am going to polish the rims and paint the centres and it would mean there was no rush to do them off the bike i.e. have the bike off the road just to do the wheels.

Never mind you learn something everyday.

Norrie.