PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Oils

Rob
03-08-2004, 08:23 AM
Stupid Question No 42515b:

I've always topped my M600 up with Castrol 4T (10/40 I think), with no problems. I've just had the 6K service and I decided to use an independent garage rather than one of the official dealers. When the bike was returned it felt a lot smoother and willing to rev. My question is this: would Semi/fully synthetic make a big difference to the way the engine feels? and if the oil is now Semi/fully synthetic would topping the oil up with castrol 4T cause havoc?

Cheers

Rob

steviej
03-08-2004, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't be mixing full-synth with semi-skimmed with full-fat. Best to stick to one type.

As for the smoother running, it's half service results/half psychological.....................enjoy :cool: :cool: ;)

Rob
03-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Apart from asking the mechanic, is there any way of telling what oil's been used. I know from working with Land Rovers that many oils smell/look/feel different.

Thanks

Rob

PaulS
03-08-2004, 08:56 AM
If you can tell the make and type of oil just by "smell/look/feel" then you could have the makings of a good circus act! Reminds me of the guy who could tell you what was on a (vinyl) record by looking at the grooves. Find out what oil was used in your bike and use that to top up. It's not a good idea to mix different types (or makes) of oil.

steviej
03-08-2004, 08:57 AM
For EXACT match your gonna have to ask ar' kid.............:cool:

Rob
03-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Nice one lads, cheers for the info.

I'll give him a bell.

Rob

steviej
03-08-2004, 09:01 AM
If you can tell the make and type of oil just by "smell/look/feel" then you could have the makings of a good circus act! Reminds me of the guy who could tell you what was on a (vinyl) record by looking at the grooves. Find out what oil was used in your bike and use that to top up. It's not a good idea to mix different types (or makes) of oil.

Paul, I used to work for the Manchester Ship Canal Company in the late 70's early 80's and believe it or not there was a bloke there who could tell the difference between around 15 different oils (All Shell) by smell and feel........................ :eek: :eek: :eek: F**kin' amazing for a 18 year old apprentice.

norrie
03-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Paul, I used to work for the Manchester Ship Canal Company in the late 70's early 80's and believe it or not there was a bloke there who could tell the difference between around 15 different oils (All Shell) by smell and feel........................ F**kin' amazing for a 18 year old apprentice

F**kin' sad for a 18 year old apprentice. :lol:
When I was an 18 year old apprentice all I was intrested in was women,drink.drugs and rock & roll. ;)

steviej
03-08-2004, 05:18 PM
F**kin' sad for a 18 year old apprentice. :lol:
When I was an 18 year old apprentice all I was intrested in was women,drink.drugs and rock & roll. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Suppose it was really :lol: :lol: :lol:

Them other items of luxury only came out late afternoon till sun up............... :D

gary tompkins
03-08-2004, 07:58 PM
I used to know a fellow apprentice who thought it was a good idea to run his GP100 Suzuki on a mixture of old brake fluid & cooking oil. He said it felt quicker & liked the smell he got from the exhaust, but needless to say the bike didn't run that way for long -Watterknob :rolleyes: