PDA

View Full Version : Panniers anyone?

coolcatshaft
02-08-2004, 09:37 PM
OK, i know the monster is a naked motorcycle... but to be practical, for a weekend away what do you guys use? not too keen on a big backpack, especially since i might be taking a pillion.

i've eyed up some ducatiperformance soft side bags on ducatistore.co.uk look smart in black. look spacious too and have nice carry handles etc to then take off bike and take into hotel as a normal bag.

anyone using anything similar or even different that works well?

logyk
02-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Ventura.......its taken me all over the continent.

One bag ...two weeks supply of clothing .....as well as the worlds biggest f*ck off chain. :D

www.ventura-bike.com

madhatter
03-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Oxford Sports (expanding) panniers. Strap onto bike over and under seat with heavy duty velcro straps, plus numerous other straps and eyelets for bungie ropes. Split into individual "briefcase style" cases with heavy duty rubber handles. One large pocket also doubles as a bumbag.

These go far enough back on the bike for the Pillion to sit astride the bags with legs just in front onto pegs (no complaints from the wife, so they must be ok...eh?). These can be bought from a variety of motorcycle dealers for anything up to £130. Best place is either the BMF tailend show or the NEC Bike show (loads of bargains). got mine at the BMF this year for £50.00!

Been to half a dozen weekend bike rallies with these so far this year and couldn't be happier!

Julie
03-08-2004, 07:33 AM
I'm selling these on e-bay. If you are interested drop me a PM/ or E-mail..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7914113927&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

They are brand new.

Julie
03-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Hey....you are in leic's

We are up at 6 hills tonight can you come? Show off your new bike.

Melnie Mouse
03-08-2004, 07:42 AM
any Motrax Stockist has cargo endurance panniers. 89.99 they're good and expandable too, if you have a rack and can't put tailpack on rear seat put one on rack! they're good value..

- is all this to come down to Sussex on the 8th J? :)

coolcatshaft
03-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.#

i've actually ordered the ducati performance ones. although i did check out the venturas, and julie's ebay offering after and they all seem great.

they should be here tomorrow.

cheers all

ajay

logyk
03-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Don't you just love instant gratification ! :cool:

MilesB
06-08-2004, 11:09 AM
i've actually ordered the ducati performance ones. although i did check out the venturas, and julie's ebay offering after and they all seem great.

ajay

You've ordered Ducati Perfomance - and they 'Should be here tomorrow' :eek:
Bloody Hell... Who did you order them from?????
DP stuff usually takes weeks if not months to arrive :(

Anyway hope you get them.
When I go touring I use Riossi (actually Givi) panniers, Motrax lock bag on the pillion, and an Oxford Tank Bag. Loads of room for any junk you need, but a pain as none of it is 'secure'.

Anyone got or tried Ducati Hard panniers?

Miles

coolcatshaft
06-08-2004, 02:37 PM
lol i was hoping they'd arrive next day cos the order says DHL next day delivery as standard.

but since thats been two days now, i rang them up and apparently it will be a couple of weeks.

:mad:

never mind, hope they are worth the wait

logyk
06-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Not wanting to crow ...but my Ventura gear arrived NEXT DAY ! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Byron Kauffman
06-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Saw these made from surplus ammo boxes. Probably double as sliders in a crash.

madhatter
06-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Oh My God!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now, that's what you call "In Ya Face Aggression"!! :D

br1an
06-08-2004, 04:38 PM
When you ordered the Ducati Performance one's did you tell them that you still wanted to carry a Pillion?????????

I have the Mandarina Duck ones which are superbly built and look the Italian dogs bolloxs, BUT you can not carry a pillion DOH.

Just a thought. :confused:

Bry... :rolleyes:

madhatter
06-08-2004, 04:41 PM
I heard that to from someone.....that's why I got the Oxford Sports Panniers, you can move these about and shuffle them back and forth, until there is adquate room for the pillion...that's also some delivery period!!! What are they doing, waiting for the calf to get to a size suitable for skining?? :eek:

br1an
07-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Here you go.

You need to do a search for Ducati Monster City as this was a special edition.

Brian.

coolcatshaft
07-08-2004, 10:10 PM
cheers mate

they do look the dogs bollox! i did find a website selling them, but the ducati performance bags have a cutaway corner at the bottom to accomodate the pillion's feet on the pegs.

and they seem much more spacious than the oxford sports ones. and much more in tune with the styling of the rest of the bike...

so i think i'm just gonna hang on while the bologna factory gets its act together. apparently they are having trouble and are running on a skeleton crew for the next 3 weeks!!!!! :eek:

i'll upload a pic if i ever get them...

Spike
08-08-2004, 08:24 AM
I've got the oxford sports panniers you can also get a humpback tank bag and tail bag that are pritty good not that the tail bag is of much use if you have a pillion. :cool:

gary tompkins
08-08-2004, 09:42 AM
I used to use a set of Oxford Sports panniers until I fitted the high level pipes. They will still fit but the pipes force them out too wide, and I'm sure that they will burn on the downpipes. Used to have a Ventura rack on the 600 which was the biz, but since I've chopped the tail on the 9 it's not an option. So these days I make do with a large CARGO rucksack, Hein Gerike magnetic tank bag and the Tent/Sleeping bag bungied across the pillion seat.

DavidT
08-08-2004, 07:59 PM
I like the ammo box luggage. I know its not very Monster-like, but hard luggage is great on holiday - you can lock your hat and leathers in there and get straight onto the beach in your shorts. I bought a Hepco & Becker pannier frame from ebay but because the tail is cut short its missing the mountings. I had thought I would adapt it but its too good to mess about. Expect to see it advertised here soon!

marchesini
08-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.#

cheers all

ajay

If you are talking about the mandarina duck bags, I believe that they are pretty hard to come by. Here is a quote from the owner of the Ducati List in the US:

"Last I heard they were still available from Ducati.com but the whole site is down for the moment. I have those bags and they are perfect for city commuting. They lock on the bike, look great as a briefcase, match the seat material perfectly and were incredibly cheap from the Ducati.com website at the time I bought them - I'm thinking something like $165 delivered from Italy for both bags and hardware and they threw in a Ducati.com hat. That's a deal and a half, they were (incredibly) over $1000 originally. I didn't even have a Monster when I ordered them, but I knew I would buy one eventually, and the deal was so good for something of such high quality, crazy as it sounds, I ordered the bags and bought the bike a year or so later.
Vicki"

or you could bid on these:

ducati bags (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10448&item=7915191050&rd=1)

They seem to be a rarity so I guess they don't come up too often.

Good luck and best regards

simon

Macca
08-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Anyone know if the mandarina duck bags will fit on a '04 monster?

Cheers

Macca

STU65
24-08-2004, 08:51 PM
I had the Ducati panniers they do look great but they cannot carry very much their limited to some thing like 3kg. Anyway what do you feel is the best luggage approach on the S4r?

Thanks for any advice. Cheers.

andy pea
13-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Sorry for dredging up an old thread!

I'm heading off up to Aberystwyth next week for a few days hooning round Wales *prays for dry weather* and need to get hold of some luggage!

I've got a basic tail pack (bit small) and am thinking of some panniers?
Cheapest i've seen are Oxford "first time" panniers for about £40... anyone tried 'em?

Any other suggestions for Monster suitable luggage would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy :)

james t
13-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Cargo!!

They expand to 40 litres per side don't touch the exhust pipes and are easy to put on and take off.

I got mine from Mel in Chichester and if you take her a bar of choccie she might help you to fit them.

Regards James t.