PDA

View Full Version : fork dismantling? bottom slider!!!HELP

netstar
02-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Simple question.... in what order do you dismantle non ajustable usd forks to replace the oil seals? The main question is how do you get the bottom slider off and can you leave the stansion on the bike ? Please help!!!!Would be a great as job needs doing by thurs!!! thanks a bunch Jeanette

steviej
02-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Take it to a bike service shop and get them to do it..........damn sight easier !!

fatbloke
02-08-2004, 09:34 PM
its a tricky job if you dont know what your doing
and you will have to remove the fork completly from
the bike.
I would advise you either take the fork (to cut down
on labour time) or the bike to a mechanic.

A Yerbury
02-08-2004, 09:41 PM
having looked at haynes Ill be taking mine to the garage (both seals just went!) taking them off the bike first. The only risk is that the mechanic thinks "oooh hark at cheapskate boy here taking them off thus taking my 1 hrs labour...Ill bang 20 quid on top" syndrome. Ill compromise and take the fender off perhaps......

DavidT
03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Fitting new seals is quite straight forward. Get the bike up on a front stand. Take the wheel and mudguard off. Before you take the legs out the yoke I would slacken the alloy top nut a bit - it saves trying to grip the alloy leg later. Drop the legs out. Unscrew the big alloy bolt and the slider will drop down exposing the top of the damper rod and spring collar. Push it down to remove the top bolt Push down the spring and pull out the collar. The oil can be tipped/pumped out and the spring removed. To take out the damper remove the allen bolt from inside the fork bottom ( I am not sure you need to do this bit.) Pull the tube away to give access to the seals.