PDA

View Full Version : Help! Monster Crash!!

DevilBoy
02-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Well guys, a dark cloud has rolled over my horizon, and the devil has cast a terrible bad luck spell on me.
Ive crashed my monster s4!

Sorry, cant see what i'm typing - tears in my eyes.

Heres the story...
Went out to teach my plastic rocketed friends a lesson in speed last weekend. Lost them for ages, so i slowed down and let them overtake. Then coming round a sharp blind right hander, i realised too late that my mate on a Ninja had braked super early forsome traffic lights. My right arm decided it might be a good idea to slam on the anchors while i was still cornering, and my baby took a nose dive onto the tarmac.
I rolled for about 5 meters, and then got my leg caught in my mates back tyre, between the hugger and tyre, and he dragged me for another few meters!

Damage to me: Broken wrist, and burns on my leg from the tyre.

Damage to my gear: It did its job, and all of it now needs replacing, even my gloves.

Damage to my baby: Snapped right handlebar, mashed brake leaver, throttle feels like its got loads of sand in it, tank has two dents in it, clutch cover has a chunk out of it, radiator has ben knocked out of place, and the aluminium cover is scratched to !!!!. And the right foot peg has gone THROUGH the rearset, which has snapped in half.

So - I need help and advice on how to get it all back together, and how to find anything else that could be wrong with it!

Ill post some pictures next weekend.

Cheers all.

p.s sorry about the crap typing, i only have one hand. this took me an hour!
:( :(

A Yerbury
02-08-2004, 03:16 PM
oh dear. seems like one a week on here, pete had a prang on an s4 so he may be able to advise. handle bar, lever , sandy throttle and clutch cover wont cost the earth but as for the rearsets radiator and ....tank??!! good luck and at least you are (mostly) in one piece

madhatter
02-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Real bad luck Devil Boy!! :mad:

Contact Pete S4, he had a Stoppie front end smash on his S4 and is hoping that it will be written off for damage to forks, frame etc, but most of what you've mentioned is on his bike in A1 OK order!.........I think he is talking about trying to buy it back as a project bike, so I'd get in quick with your shopping list before he sticks bits on the forum and flea-bay....... ;)

PeteS4.....if it all works out fine for you both, that's a pint and a HogRoast Roll you owe me!! :D

DevilBoy
02-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Ok, ive sent him a message.

Ive been thinking about getting some replacement rearsets... is that possible?

it looks like its all one enit - joined to the exhaust bracket and the pillion rests.

I wouldnt mind getting rid of the pillion rests, as i hate carrying passengers anyways!

Allso - can the tank br repaired? there are two dents in it - one small, one a bit bigger. And it doesnt look like the metal is creased...

Scotty
02-08-2004, 04:14 PM
once tryted to push a small dent out from the inside of tank wi a large spanner
came out physicalyl flatter but caught the light worse kinda

A Yerbury
02-08-2004, 04:42 PM
yes and yes db and yes the standard hangers are a pile of dogs doo, if I had high cans I would take an angle grinder to mine. Depending on tank of course some dents can be fixed. small is good! that beast of a dog ugly radiator tho....maybe there are slimmer aftermarket jobs?

SazzaG
02-08-2004, 04:42 PM
I got some rearsets for my 620 after I crashed it. They are single pegs, but can take brackets for either exhaust hangers or pillion pegs.

Stuart at Spareshack will be able to tell you which ones they are. About £300 but very nice (I got the anodised black ones, mmm)

Bad luck about your prang. There do seem to be a lot around this year (me included!).

Saz

DevilBoy
02-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Ok. So in regards to the rearsets... shall i email spareshack, and see if the aftermarket ones will have an exhaust bracket on them... as i have high level cans that are attatched to the rearset bracket thing.

Allso - what about the brake lever. I need a whole new one, including the bit that goes on the handlebars. oh - and a new handlebar! (or a replacement aftermarket one if they do em?)

br1an
02-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Don't forget if you look on ebay a lot of parts for the s4 are the same as a Ducati ST2 / 4.

I think Aprilia brake levers are the same as well.

Bry...

A Yerbury
02-08-2004, 05:27 PM
well you know who to call (not ghostbusters, as they are pretend) and ebay has plenty of bargain bits. not sure about the whole monster s4/916 etc homogenisation but you should find plenty, particularly If you scope europe and USA. you should end up with a nicer bike than the one you started with. If you get the tank fixed it would need a spray to match the undented spots (really alex?) at this point you may as well go the whole hog and do the cowl fairing fenders a choice of your own.Trust me there is nowt like a bespoke colour scheme for turning heads. you have plent big money yes?

DevilBoy
02-08-2004, 05:30 PM
well. Ive got £400 from my health insurance, for duffing my wrist...
And ive got a month to save as much more as i need... coz i cant ride it until then anyways.

DevilBoy
03-08-2004, 12:10 PM
ok guys

ive bought a set of rizoma clip-ons from Gizmo. He said they should fit fine onto my 202 s4... can anyone confirm that?

Are they simple to fit? Baring in mind i have the mechanical skills of a slug.

peteS4
03-08-2004, 12:15 PM
from what i've heard and seen........... yes they do............. you need to remove the mounting points for the old bars from the top yoke......... a bolt below and 1 through ther top....... the clip ons go in the same place but look much better, still above the yoke,.......... good choice.......... very expensive new from a shop

DevilBoy
03-08-2004, 12:20 PM
I dont think theyre from an s4 though... and its off an older bike.

Spareshack do a set especially for the S4. Would they be better to get?

peteS4
03-08-2004, 12:26 PM
i guess so but may cost you lots more.......... i'll tell you what fella.......... try the 2 sets.......... if they dont fit or cost a bit too much to be worth it............. in 2/3 weeks time when fingers crossed mine is written off.......... i'll sell you the whole right hand side......... bar, clamp, throttle, switch gear standard mirror and bracket all in

DevilBoy
03-08-2004, 12:33 PM
nice one fella.

im kinda banking on that now - coz i cant seem to find the bits i need to replace anywhere!!!

Gizmo only wants £15 less for his clip ons than the S4 ones!! ive emailed him and said dont bother - but he may have already sent them!

I think im worrying a bit too much. Must be the painkillers im on!

peteS4
03-08-2004, 12:40 PM
its all a gamble with me too but i know the bike shop and will be getting them to push towards write off due to any poss frame damage unseen by the naked eye............... if so.......... i fell on left side so rifgt side is ok...........which lever did you need

DevilBoy
03-08-2004, 12:49 PM
I think i need the right brake lever, and maybe the bracket that holds it onto the handle bars... basically by the round adjusting thing on the brake lever, its all been scraped down to the wire...

And allso the brake fluid reservoir cap.

ill get some pictures next weekend and you can see what i need from that...

steviej
03-08-2004, 05:38 PM
............................and maybe the bracket that holds it onto the handle bars... basically by the round adjusting thing on the brake lever, its all been scraped down to the wire..................

Are you sure it's a S4 :confused: :confused: :confused:

DevilBoy
03-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Bit of a silly question!

Why do you ask?

steviej
03-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Bit of a silly question!

Why do you ask?

I didn't know the brake had a cable !! :p :p

DevilBoy
04-08-2004, 03:21 PM
I dont think it has...

It was a figure of speach anyways. i think. :rolleyes: ;)

DesmoDom
04-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Are you sure you don't mean the throttle assy, as when my 996 fell off my trailer and was dragged about 20 yds, it wore down the cap of the front brake reservoir, right through the top of the throttle assy (which is the same as the S4) and almost through the cable.
Also, if you need it, I've got a complete top yoke and handlebar assy for sale, as I've changed mine for the S4R version.

Baz

DevilBoy
05-08-2004, 04:07 PM
I dunno. i only gave it a cursory glance after i came off. its been in the garage since then, and ive been in the hospital since then...
so i cant really remember what it looks like.

Ill take some pics tomorrow though, and let you know whats wrong...