PDA

View Full Version : Monster won't start!!

Rick
31-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Help, monster won't start. With ignition on and the run on, won't do anything when i press start. Nothing! No clicks or anything. Seems to have plenty of juice in the battery, i've just tried to boost it from the missuses fiesta but still no go. Its never done this before. I have threatened to change it for something quicker after the mallory track day, has it got the hump.

regards, rick

steviej
31-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Have a look at the starter relay under the seat. (1 inch cube)

Give it a flick/tap. Try again.

PS does everything else work ???

steviej
31-07-2004, 01:27 PM
..............................I have threatened to change it for something quicker after the mallory track day.....................

The bike only goes as fast as the rider.................. :D :D :D :D :D :D

A Yerbury
31-07-2004, 01:49 PM
panel lit up? does yours have the side stand switch?

Julie
31-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Help, monster won't start. With ignition on and the run on, won't do anything when i press start. Nothing! No clicks or anything. Seems to have plenty of juice in the battery, i've just tried to boost it from the missuses fiesta but still no go. Its never done this before. I have threatened to change it for something quicker after the mallory track day, has it got the hump.

regards, rick

It might be the ignition relay ..its a little yellow 1'' by 1'' box thing under your seat. Cost about a fiver from ducati and they just slot it.

Do you have any other monsters near you that you could try one from there bike on yours?

PS..dont try and jump start it from your car it may blow the ignition control units and they can cost a bomb

Julie

plug747
31-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Rick,

Sounds like an identical fault I had back in Feb - turned out to be a faulty relay on the fuel circuit.

Sorry I can't help with locations as the nice people at Riders Of Bristol sorted it out for me (Stock code 54140031A). The relay only cost £4.15 inc VAT - just a pity it took the boys nearly 2hrs to track the fault down!!

Hope this helps

Plug

Julie
31-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Rick,

Sounds like an identical fault I had back in Feb - turned out to be a faulty relay on the fuel circuit.

Sorry I can't help with locations as the nice people at Riders Of Bristol sorted it out for me (Stock code 54140031A). The relay only cost £4.15 inc VAT - just a pity it took the boys nearly 2hrs to track the fault down!!

Hope this helps

Plug

Is that the same thing I'm talking about? little yellow fella under the seat about 1inch square??

rich
31-07-2004, 08:05 PM
It might be the ignition relay ..its a little yellow 1'' by 1'' box thing under your seat. Cost about a fiver from ducati and they just slot it.

Do you have any other monsters near you that you could try one from there bike on yours?

PS..dont try and jump start it from your car it may blow the ignition control units and they can cost a bomb

Julie

Yes, go steady here !! don't jump it!
Check fuses mate ,also the kill s/w will cause this

Regards rich (hi j&r)

Julie
31-07-2004, 08:08 PM
The ignition relay part number is 28740141A

Hi Rich
How you doing?

A Yerbury
31-07-2004, 08:55 PM
do you have a circuit checker? thats why I asked about the panel. If nothing is lit up there then it would be the ignition switch, which is before your relays, coils, starter mo etc have a look at the fuses too b4 you start shelling out.
Alex

rich
31-07-2004, 11:08 PM
The ignition relay part number is 28740141A

Hi Rich
How you doing?

j&r just fine thanks

Re----"Do you have any other monsters near you that you could try one from there bike on yours?"

if your not technical then you'll need to swap items from another bike!!

or pay the man!!!!

regards rich :)

Plum
01-08-2004, 12:05 AM
I to had the same fault with the relay. Even though i checked them, they looked clean, but not clean enuff. I pulled my feckin hair out over that one. So there you go, if they look clean, they probably aint

L

Rick
21-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks everybody for the info, turned out to be the starter solenoid under the air box! B*****d to get at, got one from spareshack mail order for about £25. sorted the problem out straight away. I was so chuffed it was working again I treated it to a new set of sprockets and chain from Hein Gericke in Brum. By the way Hein Gericke seem a good bunch, and I was amazed they had all the bits in stock, so were they I think!
bye, Rick

MikeG
01-09-2004, 09:06 AM
OK, I posted this last week and it has gone missing, so here goes again.
For the first time in three years and 31k miles the M600 failed to start. Press go and nothing. Pinch the missus's car to go to work where I consult the forum. Behold... an identical problem. The cause of my distress was the little black relay, this cost me £4.31 from Ducati Manchester.
So thanks to this thread and thanks to everyone else I saved ££££s. Heaven knows how much it would have cost to get the bike to Ducati and for them to find the fault. I cannot complain at four and a bit quid.
Keep posting guys and galls!

MikeG

gallardo
01-09-2004, 05:35 PM
My monster keeps cutting out after being ridden for a while. The fuse just goes. Taken it into garage three times but failed to found the problem. Well, they always found a lose wire (yeah right) and end up paying one hours work. I have kept watching it and seems that it will cut out sooner with someone at the back (jealous b****!) or if I get a bump on the road. Any clues?

DesmoDog
02-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Long shot, but try these - there's a plug under the seat to the rear of the battery - on mine it had became so loose that it would fall out - I think it's for the fuel tank monitor. Anyway, there's a lot of cable around there. If anything's bare or loose that might be your problem. The other thing Pedro could tell you about, what sort of indicators do you have on it? If they are aftermarket, check to see if they are fully insulated, could be that they are shorting out over bumps etc. Worth a look.