PDA

View Full Version : 900 swingarm on a 600.

norrie
30-07-2004, 04:00 PM
I have just got a 900 aluminum swingarm and wheels for the bike.
Can someone tell me how the caliper is mounted on the 900 or better still a couple of pitures.
On the 600 there is a lug comes out of the swingarm for the caliper to slide on or to stop it spinning anyway but there is no lug on the 900 swingarm.
I have the wheel and sprocket carrier but was also wondering if the disc and caliper is the same.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Norrie.

Julie
30-07-2004, 04:47 PM
talk to kev bunney hes just put one on a 750

Byron Kauffman
30-07-2004, 05:00 PM
On the aluminum swingarm there is a bolt in pin that retains the position of the caliper. You should have a hole right where the pin is welded on your steel arm. You need the bolt and oval shaped pin that fits in that position.
I have included a photo of a overall shot of the arm with the pin in place but dont have a close up.

For anyone who is interested... There is a perfect condition aluminum arm and all its pieces listed on USebay this week.

A Yerbury
30-07-2004, 06:12 PM
hey there bryon, I like the chain slipper, metal? thinking of changing the standard nylon/plastic one.
Alex

norrie
30-07-2004, 06:57 PM
It's not got the lug on it.
There is a bolt there but all it bolts on is the hoder for the brake pipe.
The swingarm is off a later model then that one 2002 I think so they are maybee different.

Norrie.

Byron Kauffman
30-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Norrie;
So your swingarm has no big hole that runs through the arm in the same spot the steel arm has the pin? There should be a large recessed hole so that the head of the bolt is flush from the outside and the inside piece is oval to mate to the caliper support. The arm in the photo I sent is 851 and early Monster. they are all pretty much the same except for little things like hugger mount tabs.

Hi Alex;
The chain slipper on that one was just ivory color plastic instead of the usual gray. The one on my bike is gray.

norrie
30-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Yes it has the hole at the same point.
There is a bolt there and it just bolts on a bracket for the brake hose suppoer and it dosn't look as though there is anything missing.
I will go and sort a photo out.

Norrie.

PaulS
30-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Norrie - if your ally swingarm is from a late model monster then the caliper mount will be significantly different to that on your bike. They moved the caliper from below the swingarm to above for the later models.

norrie
30-07-2004, 09:54 PM
It's from a 2002 Monster.
Does that mean I need the bracket caliper and disk?
I think they are all still available.
Or do I just need the bracket i.e the caliper and disc are the same.

Thanks.

Norrie.

PaulS
30-07-2004, 10:09 PM
It's from a 2002 Monster.
Does that mean I need the bracket caliper and disk?
I think they are all still available.
Or do I just need the bracket i.e the caliper and disc are the same.

Thanks.

Norrie.

Sorry Norrie but I can't answer that. I think I can make out from your avatar that the rear caliper on your bike is mounted underneath the swingarm which will explain the differences you are finding. If the new arm is really from an 02 model 900 (as opposed to an older model registered in 02) then does it have the mounting points for the suspension hoop that your bike has? 02 900's have the S4 frame and rear suspension which doesn't have the hoop. If this is the case then I think your b*ggered.

norrie
30-07-2004, 10:32 PM
No it has the hoop as it was still attatched to the swingarm.

Norrie.

norrie
30-07-2004, 10:33 PM
And yes the caliper is underslung at the moment.

Norrie.

A Yerbury
30-07-2004, 10:58 PM
err my current slip is "ivory/dirty white" the one there looks the colour of brass? same as the end adjuster plates? or am i missing something?
Alex.
ps.finally finished pjing heads matt, both cases, cylinders hot gloss black, looks grand and is a fuss free colour maintanance wise. just wish I had done it sooner.

Byron Kauffman
31-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Alex;

It is just dirty white plastic. probably the FL sun and sand tinted it a different color than you are used to. That was the swingarm that a friend had for sale earlier this year. I just kept the photos for reference. When I ordered a new one for my swingarm it came in dark gray from Ducati.

Good to hear you are making progress on the bike. Mine has only been out once this month because of the heat. I havent done any work on it or the Parilla with the garage being near oven temperatures. I could go for a nice UK cool day for a ride and a few pints of Guinness.

A Yerbury
31-07-2004, 12:43 AM
likewise, well its been so hot over here..............! seriously though its all finished bar a few bits and the fork seals which, being considerate, have decided to both go at the same time. BTW have you seen any of those badges stateside which mount/replace the one on the alternator side of the case? metal d-wing logo?
Alex.

Byron Kauffman
31-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Alex;

I will keep my eyes open for the winged case cover you want. Is it the small cover that attaches with 2 screws? Do you have a photo by chance? If not Ducati I am sure I can find you a HD piece... it has wings.
Sorry... sitting here watching the OCC goons build another bike on Discovery channel. I think I need to take the Monster out for a midnight lap of town, my neighbors will appreciate the wakeup call.

norrie
31-07-2004, 05:58 PM
I have just spoken to the breaker and it turns out the caliper was underslung with a torque bar on it.
So I will need to look at the bike to decide on my best option.
I can order the pin from the dealer and it is only £10 but I dont know if it will work.
The breaker says I can have the bracket and torque arm for £20 but dont know where it bolts to or if the disc and caliper are the same.

Norrie.