PDA

View Full Version : Engine Warm-Up?

madhatter
30-07-2004, 06:51 AM
Ok. We all know that the advice is to let your Monster warm up before getting on and riding off, and the good reasons behind this.

But, who really has time to do this every time they leave the house, leave work, leave the pub at night etc. Also as most of us have Termis/Sils/or other loud cans, do you really do this consistently and stuff everyone else who may be asleep? :twisted:

My earlier 750 Monster (1997) doesn't have a temperature gauge, so how would I know anyway other than just feeling the engine warming up? :confused:

So what are your opinions? allow 1 minute at half choke? 2 mins at half choke or 5 mins at full choke and go back inside for a coffee before leaving??

Dave in USA
30-07-2004, 07:00 AM
1. Full choke until it starts, then back it off to half...

2. Put on lid, gloves etc....

3. Ride off gently and close choke lever gradually over the next mile or two...depending on the weather of course.

As for race cans....screw the locals!! ;)

Dave

:burnout: :bunny: :burnout:

madhatter
30-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Ahhhh.....a man after my on heart....full choke (wake up neighbours), half choke while putting on lid and gloves (can't hear neighbours shouting), ride off reducing choke as you go (missing objects thrown by neighbours)........sounds just like my routine a couple of hours ago! :twisted:

California Sunshine in UK at moment with 28 degree temperatures!!! :burnout:

Shandy
30-07-2004, 07:46 AM
I follow roughly what Dave does, apart from the full choke bit, I don't think i've ever needed that. I just use what ever it needs, as long as its above about 10 degrees i only need a touch just to get her going, if its above 15 degrees i don't need any. :)

For the first couple of miles or so i take it real easy not reving at all. All the traffic lights i have to drive through first help, as theres a bloody set every hendred metres or so :mad: , which gives lots of time sat ticking over.

I can't realy leave it ticking over where i keep it as the cans would wake the dead (especially at 7am if i'm riding to work). Its in a mates garage so i don't want to **** him or his neighbours off as i've nowhere else to keep her out of sight and out of the rain.

I've no idea when it is warmed up like yours mines to old to have a temperature gauge, i go for about ten minutes before giving it some! :lol:

Cheers,

Shandy

madhatter
30-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Hi Shandy,

I think I'm beginning to see a pattern here, we all seem to respect the fact that you must not blast the hell out of it from stone cold.......but at the same time we don't leave it running on half choke for 5 minutes and no choke for a further 5 minutes before kicking it into first gear! I also take it real steady through the gears for the first 5 -10 minutes and think this is fine.

Anyone have any other opinions......I have actually seen Harley-Riders start their bikes and leave them running for a good 5-8 mins before riding off on them to get them "up to temperature".....scarey.. :eek:

CK & AK
30-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Both monsters are started like Dave USA says:- start - leave on half fast idle while putting on helmet & gloves.

I keep below fast idle part open (only to stop possible chance of 'cut out' at end of road & also roundabout further down road), till oil temp shows. This can take anything from 2 to 5 miles - depending on ambient temps.
Gives tyres a chance to warm up too.

C :)

Chris
30-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I normally get my leathers on, start the engine on full throttle (that way you don't need the choke), and warm the tyres by doing a rolling burnout down the drive......!!!

madhatter
30-07-2004, 09:10 AM
I've also found it very difficult to get the balance right between; arriving at the first junction with the bike jerking like an idiot because there's too much choke............or gracefully gliding to a stall because there's too little choke.........either way it's easier for you "posh types" with your techno temp gauges.

I still have to use a rasher of bacon on the head casting, turning twice before arriving at the dual carriageway bypass!!! :D

madhatter
30-07-2004, 09:13 AM
I normally start the engine on full throttle and warm the tyres by doing a rolling burnout down the drive..!!!

........having ridden with you.........and me being the responsible, steady, influence of the Beds and Bucks regions.........I do not find this difficult to beleive..... :eek:

Macca
30-07-2004, 10:54 AM
I'm new at all this but for what it's worth......

Start engine - Set fast idle so I show about 1500/2000 revs, get togged up, lock up, kill the fast idle and set off - By this point the engine feels warm and it normally takes about 1-2 miles of easy riding before I get a temp reading

Macca

madhatter
30-07-2004, 10:57 AM
It sounds from the replies posted so far that this is the best approach, especially, as I said earlier, for those oldies of us who don't have the sophistication of either a rev-counter or a temperature gauge (yes, Ducati did build them like that in the olden days).... :burnout:

Billy Bigwheels
30-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Given the fact that Monnies used to come with the suicide stand I reckon Ducati think it's ok to ride straight off - surely they didn't expect you to sit there for 5 mins??

Any mechanics out there care to give us their wisdom?

madhatter
30-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Oh yeah....I forgot that....as well as no rev counter or temperature gauge, mine has the suicidal side stand, which flicks up just as you get off the bike, because you either haven't got it down properly or it was caught on the bottom of your boot.....had several near misses when I first got it, but seem to be getting used to it now (famous last words....crash...****e!)....

Bobble
30-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi everybody,
This is my first post since joining the elite monster ownership, my thoughts on warming up has always been to start up the bike with as little choke / revs as possible as not enough oil will be around the engine from cold, this (high revs) could do damage to un-lubricated parts, then once run for a short time to ride off gently and allow the engine and gearbox etc to warm up at the same time - warm engine and cold gearbox = different expansion rate in materials.

As I said thais is only my way of doing things, and as this is my fiirst monster I would be glad to hear if Ducati (or anybody reading this) could suggest a better way of warming up a monster ":lol:"

Bobble

p.s. any members in the midlands.

madhatter
30-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Your first Monster.... :eek: .....and it's an S4R..... :eek:

I hate you already.... :mad: :mad: ;)

Bobble
30-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Sorry.....

I've been thinking about monsters for 10 years or so, but stories of reliability etc has always put me off.....then 4 weeks ago I saw an S4R and that was it, one test ride later, lots of stuff gone on ebay, sign on the dotted line for the next 40 years..... WAAAHAAAY. :D

Only one problem now - "She who must be obeyed" want's a monster too.... (Monster 900 :rolleyes: ).

logyk
30-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi Bobble,

I agree with your approach...it is all a question of getting oil onto the vulnerable parts of the engine !

I am in the East Midlands and there is a sizeable contingent around Leicester/Loughborough. I believe that Kev Bunney and Julie of JulieandRuth fame are the area reps . If you contact them they will no doubt copy you in on forthcoming events!

:cool:

Kev Bunney
30-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi everybody,
This is my first post since joining the elite monster ownership, my thoughts on warming up has always been to start up the bike with as little choke / revs as possible as not enough oil will be around the engine from cold, this (high revs) could do damage to un-lubricated parts, then once run for a short time to ride off gently and allow the engine and gearbox etc to warm up at the same time - warm engine and cold gearbox = different expansion rate in materials.

As I said thais is only my way of doing things, and as this is my fiirst monster I would be glad to hear if Ducati (or anybody reading this) could suggest a better way of warming up a monster ":lol:"

Bobble

p.s. any members in the midlands.

There`s a really active and well run East Midlands "Mob" Bubble, not too certain about the West mids though, you are alwasy`s welcome to join us on any meets / ride outs, keep an eye on the forum for events, welcome aboard !

logyk
30-07-2004, 11:58 AM
and as if by magic ........one of your area reps appears :twisted:

Julie
30-07-2004, 11:59 AM
....and the other one....

Bobble
30-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for meet up's etc. I Look forward to meeting you all someday.

kaysee
30-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Get fully togged up, bike out of garage, lock garage start bike, on full fast idle, ride off into the sunrise (if going to work) ease off the fast idle over the couple of miles.

I reckon that the bike warms up quicker riding it than sitting there while you get dressed.

I have done this for all my bikes over loads of years. It works for me. :burnout:
can you imagine the chaos at a start of an enduro, groups of 10 starting from cold/dead engine every 1 minute and they all hang around for 5 minutes just after the start while every thing warms up :D

Bobble
30-07-2004, 02:46 PM
can you imagine the chaos at a start of an enduro, groups of 10 starting from cold/dead engine every 1 minute and they all hang around for 5 minutes just after the start while every thing warms up :D

If they were riding xr400's it could take 5 min's just to start the engine!!! :lol:

Little Monster
30-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Can't start my bike with stand down so no warming up for me. Another thing to 'fix'. As for the whole choke thing. Discovered as soon as i got the bike that it's an anti-choke choke! if it's on and i rev the engine over and above that, it stalls !!! not good at junctions, especially as the natural response is to flood it more. Grump at italsport did explain it but i was sceptical about what he was saying. But, choke OR revving using the handlebar is the only way to do it. so i don't bother with the choke anymore and just do it manually keeping the revs up with the handlebar. Is that all ducatis or just my bike cos i've never known a bike or car behave like that?!

NewMon
30-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Leathers on, bike out of garage. Start on full choke (except during the summer months). Let it idle on the minimum choke without it stalling. Ride off as soon as bike will idle with little or no choke.

This has worked for me on all my bikes. I hate fiddling with choke while riding especially in the cold and wet (mst of the time).

My bike only really gets warmed up after being thrashed for a good few miles.

A Yerbury
30-07-2004, 09:44 PM
I think this enlightening thread has run its CORSE.