PDA

View Full Version : fork seals

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 03:40 PM
well it seems they've both gone (same time?!) I've had tell tail black collars for a while but I put that down to some grease I put on. But judging by the splatters on the right wheel its fork oil -sigh- I've got haynes at the standby but any real world tips? (Im gonna need a bloody paddock/centre stand no?)
cheers.
Alex

Shandy
27-07-2004, 03:50 PM
My tip for the day is buy the parts from someone like spares geezer and get someone else to do the hard part, well thats what i did after reading the Haynes manual. It looked to me that too much could go wrong and forks would be going through the garage roof taking my head with them, or i'd be scratching the chrome etc etc.

The seals didn't cost much and the mechanic bloke i took it too only charged £59 + a couple of quid for fork oil and he changed the chain in with that cost (labour only again). It just was not worth the hassle of trying it myself.

Good Luck,

Shandy

PS: While you've got the forks in bits change the dust seals as well as the oil seals too.

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 05:24 PM
I think Ill get the seal s etc from ducati (like most things they sell its probably all in a kit), take the forks off and then take them into the mech, any tips on fluid type and level? mine felt a bit underdamped when they were working properly.

NattyBoy
27-07-2004, 09:27 PM
You could always save some arsing about Alex & buy my nearly new (2 months use from new) M600 complete lh fork Alex for £75... :D

Nat

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 11:04 PM
the thought did cross my mind Nat, sadly captain p£actical dictates current purchases. I am also enjoying the tinkering!
cheers tho.
AL£X.