PDA

View Full Version : belly (up) pan

dean
27-07-2004, 08:30 AM
i recently bought M900uk's DP carbon fibre belly pan and am having a problem fitting it. it fits fine on the right hand side of the bike but not on the left. My bike has a termi titanium system on it and it seems the exhaust bows in the belly pan's way just underneath the front sprocket. Do any of you guys know whether or not some exhausts sit different to others and therefore it just wont fit?

Or (considering the fact that i am no dextrous dexter) am i doing something completely wrong!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 08:37 AM
depending on how much is in the way carbon despite its strengths is very easy to file/sand.
Alex
got a pic?

dean
27-07-2004, 09:14 AM
i will post a couple of piccys on here after lunch, the other problem is that the contact between the exhaust and the belly pan is quite considerable, therefore i would probably have to butcher it to make it fit. Also, i am assuming that the belly pan shouldnt have direct contact with the exhaust as it will burn if it gets hot? (that's right, i know absolutely nothing about carbon fibre!)

pics coming soon!

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 09:29 AM
carbon can take a lot of heat (carbon cans?) but no, I dont think it should be touching, have you changed just the cans to termi? If so and you are still using the orig header pipes then seeing as its a dp part it should fit.

dean
27-07-2004, 09:46 AM
it's a full titanium system, which is why i think maybe it just aint gonna fit, i'll still take some piccys lunchtime, but you never know, my next thread might be "anyone want to buy a belly pan"!

Billy Bigwheels
27-07-2004, 11:26 AM
The headers on the S4 & the 1000 are not the same as 900's etc. and that's why you're having the problem.

CK has a 900 pan on her 1000 which has been filed to fit so all you need is a file and some patience.

dean
27-07-2004, 12:04 PM
here are a couple of piccys that hopefully illustrate my challenge. as you (hopefully) can make out, the exhausts hamper the fit, but oddly only on the left side mounts

dean
27-07-2004, 12:10 PM
and another thing!, re the filing and cutting of the belly pan, what concerns me there is, considering the amount that i would have to do away with, it might look daft when iv've finished. not so much a belly pan as a "barely pan" (sorry)

DesmoDom
27-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Dean,
Is it just catching at the rear of the bellypan ???, if it is, you could use a dremmel with a diamond cutter on it and take out the flat piece at the rear, it would'nt look out of place then. But if it's touching the bottom of the pan, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do, cos as you say, it would then be a barely pan, as you would need to remove most of it. I've got the same pan on my S4 and there's no problem with the fitment.
Hope this is of some help.

Baz

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 01:05 PM
sorry dean I couldnt tell where it was rubbing from the pics. Those pans are quite big though so Im sure you would have some left over! and by your description I'm assuming you would remove a bit from the rear/underside? visually speaking not the most important spot. mine is a monza pan, which IS a bit of a barely pan but IMO better than having a wash basin slung under there! good luck. The other option that may work is to get some of the belly pan fastening brackets that stu sells with his pans. If the fittings can be made to fit so to speak you may be able to gain a couple of inches?
Alex.
I wasnt referring to his knob there before the innuendo gang chip in!