PDA

View Full Version : Changing S4 handlebars

Dave Pearson
26-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi All, with the S4 now 12 months old, and Riders of Bridgwater unwilling to let anyone have a test ride on an S4R??? I've decided that she is now part of the family, and it's time to start some mods. I'm a slow starter I know :lol:
First job is to try and improve the ride position. I find the standard S4 bars slightly too low and narrow for me, and would like to fit some standard bars.
Anyone got any recommendations on a replacement top yolk for the S4. Are the standard cables etc. long enough for slightly wider/higher bars?
After looking at some of the tailchops at Mallory, methinks that will be next on the list.............

TIA.....Dave

marchesini
26-07-2004, 11:41 PM
First job is to try and improve the ride position. I find the standard S4 bars slightly too low and narrow for me, and would like to fit some standard bars.
Anyone got any recommendations on a replacement top yolk for the S4. Are the standard cables etc. long enough for slightly wider/higher bars?
After looking at some of the tailchops at Mallory, methinks that will be next on the list.............

TIA.....Dave

Ducati do a kit which is the S4R set-up for the S4. It consists of handlebars, top yoke, clamps and all bolts - roughly about £250 but you would need to check on that. Part no: 96827601B. I don't know if that is a higher riding position than the existing S4 clipons as I thought that the S4R is a sportier ride than the S4??

Another thing is that if you are set on taking the weight off the front end, you should invest in a steering damper. If you do any kind of 'spirited' riding, the Monster prefers your weight over the front to calm it down a bit. Although they are not everyones cup of tea, lower clip-ons are often recommended to make the front end more stable. Great for fast stuff but not so good for commuting. :( but then again, personally speaking, comfort isn't a number one issue for me - I'm commuting into London on a 996 at the moment. :eek: :eek: - my neck and me are not on good talking terms at the moment.

Something to think about anyway,

hope this helps,

best regards

simon

peteS4
27-07-2004, 10:36 AM
buy streetfighter mag......... loads of companys in there who do a top yoke conversion for about £150........ then you can put any style of renthal motocross bars on you like.............. gives it the standard monnie top yoke

DesmoDom
27-07-2004, 11:23 AM
I've got the S4R top yoke & bar conversion done on my S4 and it does make a great difference. The bars are are about 1/2 inch higher and around 1/2 inch wider, each side, although it doesn't seem a lot it does make a difference in the riding position and handling. All the standard cables etc still fit, but on mine the steering lock will not engage, something that could easily be rectified before it is fitted. Oh yeah, nearly forgot, they look good too !!!.

Baz

spares geezer
27-07-2004, 11:30 AM
I keep alternative triple clamps in stock for the S4 which allow the use of a more traditional handlebar set up so you can use Renthalls etc and we also keep the Cyclecat bar riser system which you can see at www.cyclecat.com

Regards
Stuart
www.spareshack.com

Dave Pearson
27-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.
Simon, that's a good point about moving the weight off the front slightly, and since the track day my riding has become more 'spirited', so I think your recommendation of a steering damper is a good one, although shifting some of my vast lumbering frame off the front forks will probably result in a sigh of relief from the front end :lol:
Baz, I was parked right next to you at Mallory and didn't even realise that you had done this conversion already :rolleyes:. I know from just sitting on an S4R that the riding position 'feels' better. Did you fit the Ducati yoke or another aftermarket product?
I just love your S4 chromo mate.
Stuart, I did take a look on your website for these parts before I posted here, but couldn't see anything. If you have it on your site can you give me the link, if not could you PM me your best price for the alternative triple clamp :D

Dave

DesmoDom
27-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Dave,
I fitted the complete Ducati S4R Kit and as I said before, all the cables etc fit without any alteration or re-routing, if you wanted to fit one of these, I suppose Riders of Bridgewater could get you one. I can't remember how much mine was, I think it was around £250.00, but I'm not sure. Anyway, best of luck with it, you will find a difference with it fitted and thanks for the comment on my Cromo.

All the best
Baz