PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Side Stands ?

MilesB
26-07-2004, 11:58 AM
OK Guys and Girls - Why is it that although Ducati have been developing the Monster for over 10 years, this giving them plenty of time and few excuses not to sort out those little niggles, that they still can't get SIDE STANDS right? :confused:

I have a 2002 900ie Dark, with what is I believe the latest development of the breed. It's not a sui-side stand :D , and I can warm up the bike with the side stand down, the ignition cut off only working when I put it into gear, so no problems there.

No. My problem is that given a flat parking area, I put the stand down, and the base plate DOES NOT SIT FLAT ON THE GROUND.
Sound's petty I know, but it's NOT just slightly out.

The angle is sufficient that if I'm parked on tarmac I know it is going to dig in - not just sinking under the weight of the bike but actually cutting in - as all the weight is in on edge of the plate :eek:. Because of this I always take a 'puck' with me where-ever I go.

In addition the side stand does not extend very far away from the bike, so if I park on a slight sideslope it feels like the bike is going to topple over, as the centre of gravity looks like it is outside the base area defined by the stand.
This is worrying :(

It means that I have to take extra care whenever and wherever I park up.

It looks to me like either the stand swings slightly too far forward - resulting in the base plate angle and lack of offset, or the stand is just too short. When I park up at home I place an old tile (a spare from my Victorian ornamental garden path) under the stand - it's about 20mm thick - and the result is that the bike is stable, plus the plate on the foot of the sidestand sits flat on the tile.

This just highlights how bad the stand really is :mad:

As far as I can see I have two options. Either fit a centre stand, or fabricate a new sidestand... but if someone already makes an aftermarket alternative that may be better. The centre stand is quite a usefull idea, as I tour on the bike, and the way I ride ground clearance isn't going to be a problem :rolleyes: .

I want to avoid 'tweaking' the current casting - as I am concerned that bending it may cause a weakness - and eventually make things worse :eek:

I asked Pro-Twins (who service my bike) and their response is that they are all like that!

Has anyone else noticed this problem? and more importantly, does anyone have a fix for it? I've seen a 'lightweight stand' advertised that is supposed to be slightly longer - has anyone tried one?

Thanx all..

PS. I suppose the answer is just never stop moving!!!!

CK & AK
26-07-2004, 12:09 PM
:confused: try the 999 stand - thats a good'n - much better surface cover - but I dont know if it will fit.... :confused:

Been a perennial question this one, and like you - I always carry a 'puck' too

C :)

Pedro
26-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Has it been damaged or bent cos mine sits flat and the bike doesn't lean too much.

As for aftermarket ones. Cyclecat do a billet one - Fatbloke had a piccy posted on here somewhere. I think Stuart at Spareshack stocks them.

Ped

A Yerbury
26-07-2004, 01:07 PM
the cycle cat ones a nice but a bit pricey. I just "park carefully" and given the (ridiculous) turning circle...that can involve 5 point turns!

madhatter
26-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Don't have too big a problem with the angle of lean on the bike and I'm sure that the sidestand sits flat on mine (have you checked that it is positioned correctly on the footrest hangers, with washers spacer etc).

What I do have a problem with is the fact that on anything other than Sahara baked grass, it sinks in and slowly drops the bike onto it's side. I'm seriously thinking about trying to replace it with a modified "cruiser style" side stand as these "Harley types" have wider longer feet and don't sink in anywhere near as bad.

I keep forgetting to bring my puck and end up standing it on my gloves. :mad:

A Yerbury
26-07-2004, 01:18 PM
as long as you remeber to take your hands out first.

Pedro
26-07-2004, 03:54 PM
If you forget your side stand puck, a crushed coke can works well. I find it better to stamp on it when it's stood upright as the finished result is a bit thicker.

Ped

Billy Bigwheels
26-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Same with my bike so I bought the Cycle Cat stand in standard size - not the extra long one which they also make.

Looks the business and makes the bike sit right - well it doesn't look like it's about to fall over - only bugger is that it doesn't sit completely flat on the deck either.
I would still recommend that you buy one from Stuart though as it looks so cool you won't worry about the small gap.

A Yerbury
26-07-2004, 04:26 PM
top can crushing tip there ped, for maximum effect ensure angle of descent is perpendicular to the ground as fluctuations may cause said can to pop sidewards / upwards thus potentially endangering small animals and bellypans.

NattyBoy
26-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Whilst me and my 4 mates parked our 4 dukes up at donnington sunday, they all leaned over different amounts !

And something else..di you know that the list on a genuine ducati monster sidestand is £63.00 ?? :eek: :eek: :eek: I bet the cyclecat one aint that much ??!!! :mad:

And while were on sidestands, my 600 went to its new (lady) owner on saturday, and I was trying to explain about the old suicide flip up sidestands..but you just know that the poor woman (whos only just passed here test) is going to drop it (like we all did when we first had those stands)...bloody stoopid idea ...

Nat

Gizmo
26-07-2004, 04:49 PM
It seems more noticable when you increase the ride height, winding it up means stand ends up too short. I'm surprised no one offers an exchange service with a plate onto welded onto foot of stand, hum.........

A Yerbury
26-07-2004, 04:51 PM
they cat ones are 80 odd quid?