PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Probs Big Worry

Albie
25-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Am having problem with either air in system or 3 month old master cylinder useless. Tried bleeding it and borrowed 2 slaves to try .Still nothing. anyone had clutch probs other then slipping plates. :( :( :(

Drucilla
25-07-2004, 08:37 PM
are the seals ok on the master cylinder?

Pedro
25-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Albie

these things can be a right sh*t to bleed - had to do mine three or four times. If you can try to get hold of a Bleed Kit that sucks fluid through rather than using the lever to bleed it.

Or

Do you know if your bike has the early or later clutch cylinder? The later ones are much better sealed and have what looks like a threaded plug on the outer face - same as a 998 etc. The early versions trash seals really quickly as they get covered in chain lube. I swapped mine and no problem.

Ped

Albie
25-07-2004, 09:49 PM
early type. borrowed 2 off nbs. Braided hose. Not lossing fluid as thought when i had t o pump clutch on way back from thorney

fatbloke
25-07-2004, 09:59 PM
could be the clutch plates/basket are knackered I had to renew mine after the track day (just a thought)

Albie
25-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Really dont think so terry but worth a thought. fluid that came out after 3 months looked grey and lifeless. Maybe the bottle was shagged but brand new

A Yerbury
25-07-2004, 10:18 PM
mine tends to look grey and lifeless straightaway! still works though. If there s no air in the system then it could only be what terry suggested? easy enough to take the cover off for a peek?
Alex

Pedro
25-07-2004, 10:44 PM
It's easy to check the basket - whip the cover off the clutch and look at the basket where the plate's tangs engage - if it's worn (you'll see ridges) then the clutch may not free off properly. Having said that, mines got 21000 miles on the original, which is knackered (you've heard it!) and it's fine.

Other things to check:

1. Push Rod - take the cover off and remove the pressure plate (6 bolts on springs). The push rod may come out with this. The pushrod should be free to move through the clutch. They tend to get gummed up with clutch dust so worth cleaning. Lightly grease and replace - in the end of the shaft it runs through is a small needle roller bearing which also needs a little grease.

2 Pressure Plate Bearing - if this is is not free to spin, then it'll make the push rod spin too - this'll bugger up the slave cylinder in no time.

Never had a problem with the master cylinder but would strip it apart just in case it's has something damaging the seal...

HTH

Ped

Albie
25-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Can u take m cylinders apart then i thought they sealed
:confused:

A Yerbury
25-07-2004, 11:48 PM
yours (the clutch) is dry so it just unbolts, hence all the vented covers out there. the side cases are sealed and need oil draining if removed. I dont know if there is a gasket on the 9 clutch cases? whip it of and check the items ped highlighted, the haynes is good here.
AY

Albie
26-07-2004, 06:23 AM
Just been out to garage before work to get something.Whilst there pulled clutch lever in and a slight hissing heard is this a leaking M/ cylinder do you think or does everybodys do it. :eek: New bleed kit tonite first then if that fails im afraid its ducati for new m/cylinder. Another £70 for three months use.
Thing is i need the bike for saturday desperately. :( :( :eek:

Pedro
26-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Albie

I think Rich had one for sale recently - might be worth having a look in the For Sale threads.

Ped

Albie
26-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Just about to try to bleed with kit. Wish me luck of the highest order folks this is desperate :eek: :eek: :( :( :o

A Yerbury
26-07-2004, 07:41 PM
well good luck, but try common sense too! b4 shelling out for another cylinder check the plates. It may well be the cylinder but if not you've wasted money. they should be guaranteed for more than 3 months ? If it is the cylinder after 3 months I would scream for a free replacement.

Pauly
26-07-2004, 09:39 PM
If you are having trouble bleeding the system, try filling it from the bottom. Get a pump type oil can, fill with your favourite fluid, attatch it to the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder with a bit of flexi pipe(make sure you get all the air out) and pump away whilst checking level in master cylinder. It should do the trick. If not it will at least minimise the amount of bleeding you have to do in the normal way. ;)

rich
27-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Just been out to garage before work to get something.Whilst there pulled clutch lever in and a slight hissing heard is this a leaking M/ cylinder do you think or does everybodys do it. :eek: New bleed kit tonite first then if that fails im afraid its ducati for new m/cylinder. Another £70 for three months use.
Thing is i need the bike for saturday desperately. :( :( :eek:

Hi there rich here :)
I had one of these but it is now sold
try here:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485523075&category=35610

seller posts to uk !!!
good luck

Albie
27-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Wel thats no piggin good then is it. :eek:

rich
27-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Wel thats no piggin good then is it. :eek:

can't wait won't wait

then it's £70 :eek: sir
and the rest!!

Albie