PDA

View Full Version : 600 fuel tank leak

woodjack
25-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi there Guys and Gals.
Im after some advice. My fuel tank in my 1996 600 has a fuel leak around the hinge. Ive heard that this is a common problem, so has anyone else had this problem and managed to get it sorted?.
Me and my fella have used Pet seal on it but with no luck. If it requires soldering/brazing can anyone reccommend someone whos done one before?.
Thanks for ure time.Jackie.x. :confused:

peteS4
25-07-2004, 08:06 PM
lots of people have had a sim prob...... mine is bottom left by inside of thigh.......... some have had them changed by duke but think yours will be to old for that............. your not alone, but sorry i cant offer any advice to fix at moment

A Yerbury
25-07-2004, 09:55 PM
if its visible on the outside then cost wise a breakers tank may be cheaper, safer too in the long run. is it def a hole in the metal? and not a washer or bolt under the tank? one of mine came a bit loose.
Alex.
tanks pop up on ebay fairly regulary just dont go biding on an injected model as the tank is a different shape.

woodjack
26-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks very much for your advice, I will pay a visit to ebay now.Thanks.Jackie. :)

daedos
26-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Mine is leaking too - I know it's the bolt below the two rubber tubes (thought it was the fuel low sensor). It leaks from this over the hinge and to the left hand corner of the tank ... and from there to the frame + foot pegs. I'm waiting for my friendly mechanic to have a look and hoping we can just seal it

Elmo
26-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Hello i had mine welded (95 m900) it was repaired by bike shop in Leamington Spa Frettons. same as yours leaking around the hinge. The tank was filled with water and then welded all round the hinge been ok since nearly 3 years on.

woodjack
26-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Hello dave. What sort of cost we looking at to get my tank welded? We did try doing it ourselves but to no avail.
Do you still have the number for this place in Lemmington Spa? Thanx. woodjack.

Elmo
26-07-2004, 08:20 PM
The welding didnt cost me anything as i only just bought the bike from them. The dealers Name is Frettons in Leamington Spa tel: 01926 429214 they mite be able to give you the name of the company who did my tank, hope this is of some help.

MotoNik
04-08-2004, 04:25 PM
It seems to be fairly common on Ducatis with flip-up tanks. If you read the instruction manual it does say that you shouldn't flip them up with a full tank of fuel, as it will put a strain on the hinge area. But we've all done it, and I guess eventually it does cause a bit of leak due to the seam becoming fatigued. My SS is the same - nothing severe, just a slight oozing on the left hand side.

They can be fixed with resin though, poured in through the filler cap. Beware though - it's easy to put in too much and run the possibility of blocking the drain bolt hole and fuel pipe spigot(s).

My advice would be a large syringe with a length of small diameter hose on it. Put the end of the hose down into the tank, down into the seam, and dispense the resin in to the seam. Allow it to run along the seam and it ought to do the trick. If you just pour it in it's going to go everywhere and cause you the aforementioned problems.

Having said that, I've not tried that technique yet, although no doubt I will at some stage when the leak on the SS becomes more irritating.

Nik