PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to leather

SAMMYE
22-07-2004, 01:19 PM
anyone seen the website www.dragginjeans.co.uk??

I like the idea of wearing some sort of combat / camo trousers on my bike and the clothing on this website has armour in them so alot safer than just wearing jean or somethiung anyone know of any other alternative's to leather and where you can get them from??

SAMMYE
22-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Sorry my mistake it doesnt have armour in you have to buy that seperately

A Yerbury
22-07-2004, 01:39 PM
virtually all bike clothing manufacturers have lines of non leather products, furygan, hein gericke, dainese, joe rocket, Ixon, prexport, frank thomas, alpinestars, spidi, arlen ness....list is endless. use the internet dear boy and plenty on ebay too.

SAMMYE
22-07-2004, 01:53 PM
sorry new to all this!! thanks for the names though!!

NattyBoy
22-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Sammye...I use the Dainese ducati goretex jobbies with built in armour

Benefits;

- I dont look like a power ranger wearing my race suit on a cool bike !
- They have removable thermal inners for the summer
- There as safe as leather and more comfortable
- You can roll em up and stick em in a rucksack if your going away for the day and want to wear shorts etc (fat chance with this s**e weather).

Have a look in your local ducati dealer to see what you think/try them on, then scour the bike shops for a much cheaper (non ducati logo'd) bargain !!! they are pressing on for £200 in a ducati dealer :eek:

Or you could be a bit jammy like me and get a 2 month old pair for £75 off ebay !!

Cheers
Nat

jason cursley
22-07-2004, 03:49 PM
There is a theory that goes, the more protected you feel the bigger the risks you will take = big crash.

Tis why I can be found tearing round Leicestershire in my underpants and vest on many a weekend!

Not just because I forgot my kit, sir.

SAMMYE
22-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Interesting theory Jason!! I can see how it could work!!

Pedro
22-07-2004, 04:21 PM
I gotta say that I'm a firm believer in leathers over fabric. Most of the test information I've seen shows that leather has better abrasion resistance than fabric. I'm sure that there is some very good gear available but I'm sticking to leathers!!!

nik_the_brief
22-07-2004, 04:23 PM
I'll stick to leather too, by popular demand from my missus and the girls in the office! :twisted:

spacemonkey
22-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Ditto the above, however I know what it is like to cook in leathers on an aircooled bike stuck in London. I am gonna invest in some of those Draggin combats and either a Dainese or Clover mesh jacket. Dainese do a cordura jacket with front and arm inserts of a scuff proof mesh, the idea being it allows greater airflow than perforated leathers (which are great at speed but lousy around town) while still providing armour and scuff protection. They usually come with a fold up liner in a pocket for if it gets chilly or wet. Not that us real men mind getting wet in the summer. Oh no, I drive with my roof down even when it rains. Was most refreshing today... Bloody miserable on the bike though...... ;)

Pedro
22-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Hein Gericke have started doing jackets that are part leather / part fabric. Leather for the bits that need to be abrasion resistant, the fabric bits allow venting and are water proof.

Ped

Melnie Mouse
22-07-2004, 09:59 PM
yeah stick to leather for real if it's hot? best buy a baby-gro thingy so easier to peel off...

Leather will ALWAYS be best if you slide down the road, but fabric is SO much cooler and almost as protective... :)

SAMMYE
23-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Gotta say I love leather jacket wise!! but not keen on all in ones or leather trousers would much prefer the casual / dragginjeans type stuff!!

MilesB
27-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Same problem sorted by getting Hood Jeans. These are lined with Aramid fabric (that's Kevlar), so even if the fabric does give up, there is an inner layer of bulletproof armour - check out their web site. They do traditional jeans and I think combats as well, as well as a Denim jacket.

Mine are black Denim, which looks great on the Dark monster :cool: . The aramid lining extends to below the knees on the front, but stops short of the knees at the back. There are velcro strips to allow you to install armour at knees and hips - I use Hein Gerrick Hi-Protek stuff which is flexible, and means that once I'm off the bike it doesn't look like I'm wearing biking Jeans.

For a Jacket I use and Alpinestars fabric T-Stunt - cordura and armour where you need it (elbows, shoulders and back), but cool and ventilated elsewhere. With an Arai open face lid it all looks and feels cool on those (all too few) hot summer days. :bunny: :burnout:

My other half wears Giali jeans - which as they use stretch denim shows off her bum real nice :D - but also shows off where the armour has been fitted :rolleyes:

I think Hood jeans are the best value with full armour capability - the Giali's are definately more. In both cases the armour is an extra.

Definately worth it in the heat.

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 01:17 PM
in the interests of aesthetic research regarding the areas highlighted by this thread do you perchance have any schematics or visual media of said "other half" demonstrating the aerodynamics of said item, namely the giali jeans.
Thank you.
AY.Phd.

madhatter
27-07-2004, 01:48 PM
do you perchance have any schematics or visual media of said "other half" demonstrating the giali jeans.

Or failing this, can we have a photograph of Melnie Mouse in her "baby-gro thingy" for similar aerodynamic inspection!!! :twisted:

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 01:58 PM
indeedy, or any women at all basically!?....if only to counter balance the worrying homoeroticism that is peters current avatar (ATTN: THIS IS A JOKE!)
AY.

peteS4
27-07-2004, 03:03 PM
dude............. you can say what you like........... new me is on the way.......... if you cant laugh at yourself...........its tme to quit........ anyway............. whats the deal with yours................ tis just a cope of the real thing............. if i get my wish soon we may be seeing alot more of each other so no hard feelings........... this site is about being a collective group of friends........ so lets be that way.......... and as for my leathers... this is a good thread to talk about them............. i find them alittle too snug these days............. need to lose some xmas excess :eek:

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 03:32 PM
ah the bieffe is indeed a copy - a very fine one- I have to admit...note to self: dont buy bargain simpsons off ebay,the lining will fall out! your Dainese leathers are lovely -if a tad snug-just get some pyjamas fella! good luck shifting the excess, I've only recently got rid of my xmas excess, tis a shame that booze is not a slimming product.
AY.

Melnie Mouse
16-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Or failing this, can we have a photograph of Melnie Mouse in her "baby-gro thingy" for similar aerodynamic inspection!!! :twisted:

a-hem ;) I wore it yesterday under my leather suit actually! and very comfy it was too!
:) :D