PDA

View Full Version : Cant find nuetral!!!

DevilBoy
21-07-2004, 10:56 PM
hello all

I am having a bit of troubles with my 2002 S4...
Everytime i park up and try and get the bike in nuetral, I spend at least 10 minutes pressing the gear leaver trying to get it!

Allso - ive noticed that the clutch is a little sticky (cant think of another word) towards full on, and nearly let go. not so much in the middle.

Any ideas what this could be? or is it a characteristic of the s4?

HELP!

Cheers all
:bunny:

A Yerbury
21-07-2004, 11:22 PM
this was my first post too... aarrrrrr... although on a 6 not s4. Neutral is a pig- engine on, not moving -previous owner killed it at lights then neutral then started up again- I'm now in the habit of clicking into green just b4 I stop. It's become second nature and I do it on other bikes. I suppose its technically more proffecient too?

steviej
21-07-2004, 11:55 PM
It's the blue wire next to the brown under the green/yellow

Pedro
22-07-2004, 12:05 AM
DB

how many miles has the bike done? I can think of a couple of possible causes:

It may be that the clutch basket is badly notched where the plates mesh - this will stop the plates seperating properly causing drag causing neutral finding difficulties. With the cover off and have a look to check - you don't need to strip the clutch assembly.

It may also be that the clutch hydraulics need bleeding - a small amount of air will stop the clutch lifting fully causing drag etc etc.

Hope this helps

Pedro

madhatter
22-07-2004, 07:31 AM
I have the same problem with my 750. If I've completely stopped, neutral is a pig to catch between 1st and second. I do the same as Alex, either snick it up into neutral just before you stop, or if you've already stopped, just drive forward a few inches then snick it up into neutral as you are rolling.

This isn't just a Ducati problem, I've ridden other Jap bikes that don't like neutral as well.....give it a try. :burnout:

Shandy
22-07-2004, 08:39 AM
I have the same thing with my 600, if your at a dead stop you'll never find neutral, roll forward even an inch and it pops straight in. I just thought this was the norm and have got used to it now.

hog
22-07-2004, 09:34 AM
My 600 is exactly the same. I need to be moving to be able to select neutral. Call it Ducati "character"

Scotty
22-07-2004, 02:50 PM
stickey clutch ? you dont have one of the racing slipper clutches do you , had one of them and it was a pig to set off with standrd clutch is much more 'usable' seemed to get worse the more i used it even after new plates and not a badly worn basket

james t
22-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Sounds like you need a new slave cylinder.
When I got my Monnie it was fitted with the mod for a lighter clutch.
However the clutch stopped working and left me stranded miles fom home.
managed to get the bike to Pro Twins who fixed it there and then(£111.00).
I now have the latest gizmo from Ducati and selecting neutral is no problem at all.

Regards James t.

DevilBoy
23-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Right - so is it wprth taking it to the grage and getting him to check out the clutch plates etc...?

Or is it a Monster thing that i'll have to get used to?

Ihave coped to far - and gearing is not a problem all the other time... I have noticed however that you have to slam it into gear through every change! Which is a good thing i think, makes you feel a little more in control.

Its the exact opposite to my old bandit - which had really really sloppy gearing, and would change gear if I farted when riding!

:)

Pedro
23-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Is the level of fluid dropping in the clutch master cylinder? This would indicate a leaky seal.

If not, it probably just wants bleeding to freshen up the fluid and get any air out. You you try holding the clutch lever back over night (seems to get rid of small air bubble) with a cable tie or similar.

Ped

DevilBoy
23-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Righteyo guys.

ill tie the clutch up overnight tonight - see what that does...
and ill get back to you.

:twisted:

nik_the_brief
23-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Good luck, mine's not got the easiest of clutches when looking for neutral either (and clunky into 2nd too) I just put it down to Ducati character as mentioned above!

If it's the dictionary you're looking in for neutral it's under 'ne' not 'nu' ;)

Migsangel
23-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Ducati's have Neutral...? :eek: :D

I've just about given up looking for it when I am out on the bike...
Once I get home and need to move it about without the bike running then I look for Neutral...but it still takes a few tries....

I have however found the Neutral between 3rd and 4th a few times....damned annoyning too... :D

nik_the_brief
23-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Perhaps it's a wandering neutral (sometimes between 1st and 2nd and at other times it moves to between 3rd and 4th).

Mine has done that on occasion (but only because of my motorcycling ineptitude and failure to be 'positive' with the gear change).

It really scares the ****e out of people if you do it accidentally whilst level with their car as you overtake them whilst giving it a handful as you change up!! :eek:

Shandy
23-07-2004, 12:01 PM
I've missed gears a couple of times when changing up and ended up with no drive not sure which gear i was in when it happened. As its only done it a couple of times, the same as you nik i just put it down to lack of effort with the foot. Scared the hell out of me the first time it did it, it brings on the fear of god that the gearbox has just fallen to bits under you.

As it doesn't do it all the time i assume this is normal ish behaviour (well i hope it is).

Cheers,

Shandy

Phil R
23-07-2004, 01:04 PM
I had a hell of a job finding neutral on my M900 at standstill until recently when a new clutch was fitted. Since then it's OK. Still not as easy as other bikes but good enough all the same.

/Phil.

A Yerbury
23-07-2004, 01:08 PM
good to be a bit forceful with the box "more neutrals than sweden cica ww2" as a pal once noted.

Scotty
23-07-2004, 01:22 PM
umm sometimes get a flase between 5 n 6
uh and once no matter what i did it stayed in neutral (chain had snapped)