PDA

View Full Version : Tpft

SAMMYE
21-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi all,

Just wondered does TPFT cover you if you fall off and say break your back? and what about Pillion passengers??

logyk
21-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Doesn't cover you ...but would cover a pillion if you were negligent ....heaven forfend !

steviej
21-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi all,

Just wondered does TPFT cover you if you fall off and say break your back? and what about Pillion passengers??

MMMmmm, anybody/anything other than you, or your bike, comes under the heading of 'Third Party'.

Good Luck ar' kid..................

SAMMYE
21-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Cheers cant believe people get TPTF they must be mad!!! it is after all only money!!

steviej
21-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Did you read this Sam??

Linky (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=68890&postcount=5)

logyk
21-07-2004, 04:03 PM
But remember...even fully comprehensive wwill not cover damage to you (as opposed to the bike).

You will only recover for injuries to you if you can prove negligence on the part of someone else (preferably someone with insurance !) :rolleyes:

SAMMYE
21-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Really?? Thats amazing what if it's 50/50 or they cannot work out who is responsible surely you are insured!? Its different for cars though isnt it!?

logyk
21-07-2004, 04:09 PM
No ....your insurance company do not insure your body ....only the bike and third parties!

logyk
21-07-2004, 04:10 PM
and it is the same with car insurance :eek:

SAMMYE
21-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks steviej I did try and contact him but he does not receive e-mails :confused:

steviej
21-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks steviej I did try and contact him but he does not receive e-mails :confused:

Try a PM ar' kid....................

spacemonkey
21-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Don't forget to add up the hidden costs of making a fully comp claim, such as excess, loss of no claims bonus, loading on future insurance, having to start a new policy (ie, if you have paid your insurance and make a claim, then the full year has to be paid, yet the policy is cancelled from that point, so you could end up being insured for just one day, and still paying for a full year, then having to get a new policy when you get a new bike). Dosen't sound so silly getting TPFTnow does it? Especially if you have a 'cheap' bike....

logyk
21-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Not all policies are cancelled in the event of a total loss claim .....I posted on an earlier thread about mymate's problems with Equity Red Star and Carole Nash .......it was a complete nightmare and no a fault of his !!!

Here it is :

I don't want to scaremonger but I do have a horror story about Equity Red Star and Carole Nash.

A friend of mine was riding his 4 month old 749 with 3 others. A car pulled out on the leader who crashed into the car. My friend was second in line and went down on the debris totalling his bike and breaking his collar bone (amongst other injuries).

Now here comes the sting.......he was insured with ERS. Guess what ....so was the driver of the car !

There is a term in the ERS policy that if there is a total loss claim the policy is immediately terminated!

The result was that my friend waited an age for them to agree the value of his bike.....then he had his NCB suspended as ERS had not admitted liability. Well since they were on both sides there was no real incentive was there ?

ERS having terminated his policy wanted over £2000 to insure him. It took about 6 months before my friend's solicitor was able to persuade ERS that the car driver was at fault at which point my friend's NCB was reinstated (except for the current year because the policy had been terminated part way through!!!!).

Please all check your policies....would not want anyone else to go through what my mate did.

Insurance companies ......don't you just love them !

I suggest you all check your policies :eek:

Little Monster
21-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Logyk - you were on the free advice line today then - ha ha ha.

Wonder if that clause ending the policy would get far with the insurance Ombudsman. I would like to think not. Seems really unfair as Jo Bloggs (and me) expects their car/bike insurance to last a year, even if a claim is made. Your poor pal.

logyk
21-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Yep ....he went through a bad time ....but he is back on the road now .

However he cannot replace those lost months of biking :mad:

I despise insurers....*looks around to see if his insurers are looking in *

Ho hum ...life is not so bad ! :cool: