PDA

View Full Version : Scottoilers

Macca
19-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Hello All,

Sorry to bring up Scottoilers again but.....

What's the current thinking - Single or Dual Injector, Standard or Touring Kit (does a Touring Kit even fit?)

Thanks for your help

Macca

And I thought this bike business was going to be easy :)

Julie
19-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Hello All,

Sorry to bring up Scottoilers again but.....

What's the current thinking - Single or Dual Injector, Standard or Touring Kit (does a Touring Kit even fit?)

Thanks for your help

Macca

And I thought this bike business was going to be easy :)
i have a single standard kit, it works just fine.

ask paranoid dave hes just about to fit one on his bike cause he ikes them so much...dont you dave?

Paranoid Dave
19-07-2004, 08:26 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pedro
19-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Got a single outlet on mine but have mounted it at the front of the swing arm not the rear sprocket - looks tidier. Should have a piccy here somewhere....

DavidT
19-07-2004, 10:11 PM
I found the twin outlet end got in the way when removing the wheel, so went back to the single. It can make more than enough mess anyway!

gary tompkins
20-07-2004, 07:58 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Perhaps we can start a dedicated "scottoiler fanclub" section & photo gallery, I'm sure PD would really appreciate some pin sharp close-ups of different outlet configurations, reservoir mountings, pipe routings etc...

We could also include surveys/statistics on things like, chain stretch, average running temperature, chain life, hours saved in garage, best drips per mile setting etc..etc... :twisted:

madhatter
20-07-2004, 08:25 AM
I thought the "O" ring seal chains were low maintenance anyway. Don't you just put her up on the paddock stand now and again and give a gentle spray of chain lube, just to keep her moist? :confused:

I've seen too many bikes with oil sprayed all over the swingarm, rear wheel and frame to fit one of these. I've also followed a bike with one fitted and everytime it stopped, a few drops of oil dripped off onto the floor...not good! :eek:

Join the Scottoilers are EVIL movement!!! :twisted:

Pedro
20-07-2004, 12:12 PM
You gotta get them adjusted right. My bike used to get covered in spray chain wax, no issue with the Scotoiler.

steviej
20-07-2004, 12:26 PM
I thought the "O" ring seal chains were low maintenance anyway.

'X' rings are even better...........

madhatter
20-07-2004, 12:28 PM
I find using old beef dripping makes for a good chain lubricant and doubles as a tasty snack when the pubs throw out! :lol:

Phoenix
20-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Got a single standard on mine. Been on for 18 months. Not a problem at all when correctly adjusted to take account of temp etc and just make sure the tip doesn't block up. Mounted under the side panel, bit tight but does fit ok and easy enough to refill.
Certainly not messy at all.

LeMarsu
20-07-2004, 01:54 PM
have a look at this thread :
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=7398

and enjoy cleaning the oil off everything...

madhatter
20-07-2004, 02:11 PM
So what you're saying is...Scottoilers are for Girls! :eek: :eek:

Macca
27-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info everyone,

Got my bike on Saturday and went to fit my scottoiler on Sunday and as a result have a few questions....

If you're using the front sprocket where does the injector tip want to be? At the side or just behind?

Also where did you route the delivery tube after coming along the bottom of the swing arm - I think I may have bodged mine a little :burnout:

A Yerbury
27-07-2004, 01:21 PM
.........................-raises eyes to the heavens in disbelief-

gary tompkins
27-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the info everyone,

Got my bike on Saturday and went to fit my scottoiler on Sunday and as a result have a few questions....

If you're using the front sprocket where does the injector tip want to be? At the side or just behind?

Also where did you route the delivery tube after coming along the bottom of the swing arm - I think I may have bodged mine a little :burnout:

The feed needs to be directed to the inside of the chain regardless of which sprocket is used, so that the oil is worked into the chain by centrifugal force. If the oil is directed to the outside surface of the links it'll be flung off before its done it's job properly.

Although a feed to the rear sprocket is recommended in the kits fitting instructions, I've seen plenty of front cog fed Scottoilers oilers that work just dandy. My own set-up feeds to the rear, with the pipe now running along the top of the swingarm. I found my original method of running the pipe (zip-tied) below the swingarm got damaged when using a paddock stand, & the pipes new position works much better. ;)

Welcome to the Scottoiler fan club :)

Macca
28-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Right now I'm confused - What do you mean by the 'Inside' of the chain?

Do you mean it should be positioned over to the right hand side of the chain (closest to the bike) so the oil drops on the right edge of the links, or do you mean it should be positioned on the side of the chain where the sprocket teeth make contact? (this is how mine is at the moment)

Macca - Being dumb

gary tompkins
28-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Right now I'm confused - What do you mean by the 'Inside' of the chain?

Do you mean it should be positioned over to the right hand side of the chain (closest to the bike) so the oil drops on the right edge of the links, or do you mean it should be positioned on the side of the chain where the sprocket teeth make contact? (this is how mine is at the moment)

Macca - Being dumb

I meant the inside face or edge of the links - as in the side nearest the sprocket teeth. Hope that helps to clarify things for you :burnout:

Macca
29-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Right all sorted now - Scottoiler fitted and oiling nicely.

Thanks for all the help :)

Macca