PDA

View Full Version : Fancy a change

sidtheparrot
17-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Hello All,

I hope someone can help me; I'm looking to trade in my 2001 Fireblade and am considering a monster S4.
Can anyone inform me of a good independent place to get the S4 serviced at a reasonable price (in the North West).
I'm getting a little bored with the rice burner and would like a more characterful bike, any signs I need to look for when buying a second hand monster?
Also if anyone is interested in a swap for a mint R/W/B colour Blade (cbr929rry),
14k on the clock
Never been dropped
New tyres
Blueflame colour titanium road legal can + unmarked std can
Double Bubble screen + std screen
K&N filter
Gold painted wheels
F.S.H
The Blade is worth about 4.5k private (nicest one I've seen), with a dealer price of about 5.2k

Cheers

Chris :)

logyk
17-07-2004, 05:35 PM
The best non - dealer service for Ducatis is supplied by nelly of Cornerspeed who has a workshop in North Notts. Extremely reasonable rates and a first class service ....highly recommended!

www.cornerspeed.co.uk

peteS4
17-07-2004, 05:44 PM
the s4 is a great choice......... i run an s4 with carbon race cans, race chip and filter..... if your use to a bellybutton though....... you will find a rear sets a huge improvment over the standard s4 pegs....... also the high level cans dont ground out like low level can.........but the best thing about the monnie is.......... a fireblade tends to look like any other fartblood.......... but you can have 10 monnies parked at a pub and all look different............ i'm now going to put a 748 seat on mine........... so much you can do............ well done.................. you wont regret it

manc skank
17-07-2004, 06:21 PM
hi parrot dude :D i use a italsport in Bury, its run by an old crotchety ex ducati racer, i paid £256 for the big 12000 mile service inc. belts, compared to ducati manchester who wanted £385. italsport is an official ducati dealer so they aren't mickey mouse.
dude's name is Roy Armstrong. number is 0161 797 6124, tell him Rick with the funny monster sent ya :D

Tigerlily
17-07-2004, 06:58 PM
The only sort of "common complaint" I've heard of is paint flaking off the engine!

It'll be nice to have yet another "Manky Monster" joining us :D

A Yerbury
17-07-2004, 07:06 PM
that and the less than fetching industrial sized radiator! but if its character you want then you've made the right choice, ok you could have got a big raptor, sv, fazer Hornet Vmax....no! good luck and happy hunting. Oh, check the hoses? nattyboy just added an s4 to his ducati fleet and had a spot of bother with quality control (lack of) in that dept.
AY.

sidtheparrot
17-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Hi,
Thanks for all the info!
I suppose that when you look at servicing the fireplace every 4000 miles opposed to the dukes 6000 miles the costs aren’t that bad.
I fancied the S4 as it seems like a fine handling bike with plenty of poke that you can scratch on but doesn’t necessarily make you feel you need to race every time you venture out on the queens highway (that blade will get me in trouble one of these days :mad: ).
The service should be every 6k or 12 months, so if I bought a 2001 bike with 4k on the clock (with only the first service done apart from oil changes) would I be better getting the full 6k service done ASAP, or should I wait until 6000 miles before doing the 6k service :confused: . I guess what I'm trying to say is, is the time factor important or is it best to stick with mileage :o .

Chris

A Yerbury
17-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Id ask an s4 bod about that, again natty or superlightlee assuming he,s still about . time wise the only serious factor in the miles/time row is the belts and ducati reccomend in fact 2 years I think 12 months if the machine hasnt moved) if milegae is less than the service period. I hope that has been of some use, mines a wee 600 and manual wise the s4 aint covered ??? incidently the belts are not tricky or expensive to do oneself.
cya.
AY

crust
17-07-2004, 08:50 PM
if its a 2001 bike it will need a belt change.

They HAVE to be done every two years whether the bikes been used or not.

And, yes this has been debated many times on this and every other Ducati site and there are sound reasons why. Try a search on 'belts'.

Also if you dont and a belt snaps then its big bill time.

Other than that most monsters are pretty bullet proof. They last longer if revved cos although they're a big twin they were designed to be revved and arent Harleys.

:) Crust

Little Monster
17-07-2004, 10:25 PM
yep, i used italsport too (i think probably on mank skanks suggestion) and am confident they did a proper service (wouldn't necessarily have been at manc ducati). think i paid £20 more or so than Mank for the same service but think may have been different belts used.

Anyhoo - a new Manchester bod to join the Manky Monsters - yippee. Not keen on parrots mind.

Get the bike bought and get out on the road before the winter weather hits us (!!!!) :eek:

steviej
18-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Now then Chris, where abouts are you.................a little bird (may have been a Parrot) tells me your a Pie-eater..... :D

sidtheparrot
18-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Now then Chris, where abouts are you.................a little bird (may have been a Parrot) tells me your a Pie-eater..... :D

Thats reet lad, a proper gradely un. have not geat a Monnie yet thou, al be faine when I does. :burnout:

Translation for all non Wiganese

That is correct Sir, I am from the town of Wigan. I haven't bought a Ducati Monster as yet, but will be most pleased when I do :burnout:

A Yerbury
18-07-2004, 09:42 PM
I went out with a girl once from a place called "billinge" which I belive is not far from wigan. "reet champion she wer" actually no, she was a heartless witch.. but nevermind!
Alex.

sidtheparrot
18-07-2004, 10:22 PM
I went out with a girl once from a place called "billinge" which I belive is not far from wigan. "reet champion she wer" actually no, she was a heartless witch.. but nevermind!
Alex.
There used to be a mental hospital in Billinge, how did you meet this heartless witch? :D

Not that there's anything wrong with mad people, some of my best mates are mentalists :lol:

steviej
18-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Alex.

Oi, Yerbs, my daughter was born in Billinge Hospital.....................

Little Monster
19-07-2004, 08:32 PM
ah, what a cutey. must get a pair of tights like that for work!

have noted the guitar by the fireplace steviej for any future monster weekends!!