PDA

View Full Version : fuse blowing... two down

stef
15-07-2004, 07:49 AM
I seem to be suffering from frequent blowing (no joke)
It's the second one in a week, and the same one. (the 7.5A on the brakelight/instrument/indicators/sidelight.)
It happened again this morning, 2 mins after i had switched my sidelight on.
I also get the usual brake light pop once in a while, but that's normal, right ?

I also had a flat battery a couple of weeks ago.. all this points to the regulator, which i checked, and seemed ok (14.5V midrange)
I am going to have a nose around that particular circuit this weekend, unless someone had the problem before, and has identified the cause.
cheers.

MotoNik
15-07-2004, 04:05 PM
I had this problem with my Supersport - only recently solved it. It was puzzling me for ages, and I'd been pointed in the direction of the "running light" as a cause (it wasn't!).

After getting at all the wiring behind the headlight I finally found it to be a wire rubbing on the fairing/headlight support subframe. Beneath the ignition switch there's a connector block which is situated quite close to the subframe, and this had been rubbing, and had worn away the insulation on one of the wires. I would imagine much of the wiring in this area would be similar on a Monster.

The problem was occasional on mine, as it wasn't always shorting out, and sometimes I could ride for ages and it would be fine. Eventually it got to the stage where the fuse would blow immediately.

Basically, I found it by putting a new fuse in, turning on the ignition (and hoping the fuse wouldn't blow straight away), and wiggling all the wires individually until the fuse popped. That enabled me to identify the wire causing the problem, and that was how I discovered that the insulation had worn away.

Some electrical tape and a bit of spiral wrap and it's problem solved!

If that doesn't work you might be able to narrow the problem down by turning the lights off and seeing if the fuse still goes. That might help you pin-point the problem to a particular circuit. I'm no electrical guru, so it was really just a case of carefully inspecting as much of the loom as I could get to.

BTW While I was at it I took the opportunity to go through all the connector blocks with contact cleaner (unplug them, squirt inside). Many of them were a bit on the crusty side, so that's well worth a bit of time.

Good luck, I hope that helps!

Nik