PDA

View Full Version : brake pads-how???

craigie
14-07-2004, 07:12 PM
after the trackday I think I'm in dire need of new pads in the front.

my problem is that (1)I'm skint and (2)I'm stupid;

1. need to try and do-it-myself

2. can some one with no knowledge learn this by just doing it? is it very complicated or can stupid folk do it?

also whats the best way to bed new pads in?

please fill me with your collective wisdom

cheers

Craig

spacemonkey
15-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Well, me old china, If I wasn't off to Spain for a few weeks, I'd pop round and do it for you and show you how. It is easy, but if you're not 100% it can be dangerous... If you can get the pads and can wait til mid August the offer stands... My fee? The left over copper grease...!!! Best way to bed pads in? Use as normal, but avoid heavy braking for the first 100 miles. I'm sure riding the mean streets of London, you'll bed 'em in quicker.

Nigel C
15-07-2004, 06:18 PM
word of caution don't use copaslip/copper grease as it can rot the piston seals best to clean with brake cleaner (spray seems best) use an old toothbrush to reach awkward bits and either leave "eau naturel" or use a rubber lubricant easily available from your local motor factor or Halfrauds

here is a quick link it may help

quick link (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/brakepads/)

DesmoDom
15-07-2004, 06:35 PM
What happened to my post on this thread ????.
Craigie, did you get the email with the attatched page from the ducati factory manual, that I sent to you ???.

Baz

james007
15-07-2004, 08:50 PM
or else check out the ducati suite site for full instructions....the link is on one of my messages in the Hayes thread.

craigie
15-07-2004, 10:20 PM
thanks boys

space, I'll check and if it can wait I'd love to take you up on your kind offer.

Baz, I did receive it and ta much for that.

Nigel, if I don't use copper grease then what will Space get?

muchos cheers, for a minute there I thought I may have had to do a poll or made it into a what's your favourite pad type of thread.

cheers again

Craig

craigie
15-07-2004, 10:23 PM
and James, I'd forgotten about that site, cheers for the reminder

Craig

kaysee
16-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Craig,

where in london are you?

If you can get over to Harrow this weekend I could show you how to change the pads.

spacemonkey
16-07-2004, 05:56 PM
I know to keep the copperslip away from the piston seals... I use silicon grease on the pistons, but a very thin smear of coppergrease on the backs of the pads where they contact the end of the pistons stops the squeal. Brembos have a built in coppersqueal shim.

craigie
16-07-2004, 07:51 PM
kaysee I'd love to but I'm off to burn myself in Portugal tonight, well 3am in the morning.
maybe when I get back?

cheers tho'

Craig

craigie
05-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all your helps

It may not be much but I feel right proud of myself for having done it, and not so scared of having a go at the simpler things rather than be completely at the mercy of the likes of Daytona etal.

I hope other novices/idiots feel that they can try too, you're on a grand site for help.

cheers again folks

Craig