PDA

View Full Version : Engine rattle, but not the usual

john bingham
14-07-2004, 10:13 AM
:confused: Hi, my M600 has developed a disturbing noise on exceleration, at first i thought it was pinking but it is so loud i am not sure. Have been told it could be piston slap or a loose alternator bolt. It has only done 8,550 miles and only 564 since last service, dont want to ride her till sorted so please help ta. She also has all the normal rattles and clunky gears but is still beautiful.

Ade
14-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Does it make the same noise when idling, and then when giving a little squirt ie not in gear.
Does the noise get worse or better when warm
How did you first notice the noise.
Is the bike under a warenty,
have you checked the oil level.
Can you say where and which side the noise seems worse.
If it was recently bought from a shop second hand you should have a parts only warrenty.
Can you give a little more detail,

john bingham
14-07-2004, 03:43 PM
the problem only appears to happen when in gear and accelorating. when out of gear i just get the normal noises even when revving the engine.
The oil level is fine as is chain tension, tyre pressure and all the other normal checks.
It does not improve as the engine heats up and is more pronounced when carrying a pillion.
I hope this helps, and thanks.

Pedro
14-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Have you got enough oil in it? Silly question I know but it will make it rattle....

spacemonkey
14-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Does it seem to come from front or rear cylinder? Head or barrell?

john bingham
14-07-2004, 05:29 PM
It seems to come from the front lower part of the engine, any help. thanks again

rich
14-07-2004, 06:56 PM
the problem only appears to happen when in gear and accelorating. when out of gear i just get the normal noises even when revving the engine.
The oil level is fine as is chain tension, tyre pressure and all the other normal checks.
It does not improve as the engine heats up and is more pronounced when carrying a pillion.
I hope this helps, and thanks.

Sounds like chain/front sprocket to me

take a look

rich