PDA

View Full Version : Cant Get The Allen Bolt Out HELP!

JJCool
12-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Hello, Bit of a problem at the moment, I bought Nat's Rev counter for my M900 (96 model) Now i cant see how it all goes together BUT i cant get one of the Allen bolts undone that hold the instament Panel, Ive tried a few times but becuase its in a horrid place (between handle bars and clocks), the allen key has sliped, Im gona have to buy new bolts anyway, Any good ideas to get this one out with out to much damage??? Any advice wellcome :confused:

stef
12-07-2004, 08:18 AM
one way would be to drill it and tap it in an inverse screw. you can then screw something in, and as you tighten it, your bolt should come out.
another way is to file the head to an hex shape and use a socket wrench. maybe difficult if it isnt too accessible.
hope this helps.

JJCool
12-07-2004, 12:14 PM
:eek: gona be a long weekend!!, im gona try a file, have to take the handle bars off first, doh

Pedro
12-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Couple of possible solutions:-

First thing is to soak it in wd40 or similar and leave it over night.

You could use an Easy-Out - basically a coarse left hand tap. Drill the bolt head and wind the Easy Out in.

or

if you can get access, file a couple of flats on the bolt heads and get a spanner or molegrips on it. It's not pretty but should shift them.

I kinda recall that you can get the whole assembly off which would mnake things easier - I'll have a squint at mine when I get home.

Ped

NattyBoy
12-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Oh bugger JJ...Try Peds suggestion of saturating in WD40 overnight..maybe an impact driver ?? It shouldnt really be seized where it is so drilling and tapping shouldnt be neccesary with a bit of luck..dont forget to shout if you need any help fitting the rev counter !!

It will be worth it I promise !!

Nat

Albie
12-07-2004, 04:00 PM
leave it as it is and sell it to me. :p :p :D

Pedro
12-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Go careful with an impact driver in case the supports are aluminium - very easy to break if you're not careful.

A little heat may also work but go easy with a blow torch.......

logyk
12-07-2004, 04:58 PM
A friend of mine who is an ex F1 engineer sorted a similar problem for me by tapping a socket over the head of the offending bolt (even though it was round) and then oh so gingerly easing it out. In my case the bolt was cross threaded into a cast aluminium frame :eek:

If you try this make sure the socket is a good quality item or the walls will just break .

Good luck !

NattyBoy
12-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Yeahh..Logyks right, dont try any of that snap on rubbish..you want a nice teknic socket set from Argos....they dont make cheese, I mean tools like that anymore.. :lol:

Nat

crust
12-07-2004, 08:45 PM
try tapping ( lightly hitting) a torx bit into the rounded hole and using that to undo it

:) Crust

JJCool
13-07-2004, 11:33 AM
tried WD40 No joy, I think itll all come off at the week end and ill drill it out and re tap the tread, Ive tried using a slightly bigger allen wrench and a hammer but thats not gripping eaither, (the other bolt came out fine, Doh Doh Doh) anyway, Its a mission now its comming out Any one know where i can get Ducati Replacement bolts???? They are not ordinary ones, only have tread on the top 3/4 nearest the head. By the time im finished im sure they wont be reusable,

Thanks for all the advice, ill put it into practice and see which one pays off.. I mean the worst that can happen is a new top yoke !!!! anybody got one???? LOL

A Yerbury
13-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Removing the surround is fairly str84ward assuming u now have the allens out, all the bulbs are numbered but u will need a jewellers screwdriver to undo the milegae Knob, the lil screw is inside (thanks superlightlee)
Alex
aerotek could supply the bolts as could most fastener companies.

JJCool
13-07-2004, 10:08 PM
logyk.....is the winner!! Wahoo!, went home (couldnt wait until the weekend!) and tried tapping a socket over the head, Well it was more like smash the F%^K out of an old imperial socket i had lying round until it was stuck over the head (took about 15 mins of smacking it) then ta da bit of umpffffff and out it came, one mangled bolt. Wahoo, rev counter is now on just a new bolt to buy (monstershop Lee is getting one for me) and away i go.......Well actually no after talking to Lee we got onto the subject of clip ons so itll be a new bolt, new choke, some yoke blanking plates and a set of clip ons....LOL thanks very much for every ones help... sometimes you just need someone else's idea to get the job done.... :burnout: :lol:

Albie
13-07-2004, 10:12 PM
but does the revvy thingy work , look good at nite ????

JJCool
13-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Ah Ha, i said it was on not wired up....LOL, no after i got the bolt sorted and swap over the clocks instrament lights into the new carbon one, i just put it back with one bolt and left it....ill let ya know asap, new bolt should be with me soon.

Albie
13-07-2004, 10:38 PM
What. go and do it now. You cant put things on and walk away man. Its like christmas toys without batteries. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :rolleyes:

JJCool
14-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Ah ha, but i have toooo, 5 week old baby boy must come first, BUT when he's old enough itll be push chair in the garage... LOL