PDA

View Full Version : S4 steering damper - does it fit on a S4R?

marchesini
09-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Having scored myself the steering damper from a fellow forum members S4 challenge bike in the hope that it fits onto an S4R, does anyone know for sure?

If no-one knows for sure, could someone with an S4R post a pic of their handlebar mounting set-up so I could make a comparision to my s4.

Thanks all,

best regards

simon

The dampers look like this:

PaulS
09-07-2004, 05:14 PM
I have the damper shown in your picture "s4_damper.jpg" fitted to my S4 and I'm 99.9% certain it won't fit an S4R as is. The triangular bracket on the S4 damper makes use of the handlebar mountings. The S4 has separate left and right hand bars mounted above the fork tubes. The S4R uses the more traditional type of tubular bars clamped to the top triple clamp. What's the other damper shown in your picture "cf_1.jpg"?

martins
31-07-2004, 05:32 AM
On my The S4R has to use a side mounted Damper 150mm if using a Harris Fork split clamp, 140mm if using the Ohlins fork clamp that comes the the Ohlins kit.

Regards

Martin

NattyBoy
31-07-2004, 08:13 PM
It wont fit Simon..just fitted mine and brackets are different..maybe getting a couple in soon though as desmodom wants one !! Let me know..cheers

Nat

marchesini
01-08-2004, 02:34 PM
It wont fit Simon..just fitted mine and brackets are different..maybe getting a couple in soon though as desmodom wants one !! Let me know..cheers

Nat

Of course I'm interested Nat. Anything shiny and expensive that can be fitted onto an S4R, I'll have it. Thinking of getting some diamond plated crash protectors next - very bling. :twisted:

BTW, how you getting on sorting out those radial front ends? My contact from the factory hasn't got a price for me yet and as we are into August now, I don't expect to hear anything until early September now :rolleyes:

best regards

simon

NattyBoy
01-08-2004, 05:57 PM
OK Simon..ill wait till baz decides what to do then get in touch on the damper. Ref; radial front end..well be better of waiting a fortnight coz the only things the italians are interested until then is relaxation, bumming it on a beach, and drinking plenty of chianti..(and fair play to 'em !!). Chivvy me up then and well get some prices sorted !

Heres a pic of my steering damper in the meantime mate..

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=10942&pid=90496

Cheers
Nat

logyk
01-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Steering damper looks good Nat....but I am not sure my bike needs it.

I have had it shaking its head a little ...but nothing worrying to date in spite of some classic tank slapping conditions. I shall keep the situation under review ! :burnout: :burnout:

marchesini
01-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Steering damper looks good Nat....but I am not sure my bike needs it.

I have had it shaking its head a little ...but nothing worrying to date in spite of some classic tank slapping conditions. I shall keep the situation under review ! :burnout: :burnout:

This type of thinking always bemuses me a little? At what point do you decide that you need a steering damper or crash protectors - when you are reapiring your bike after that nasty tank slapper episode or when you can afford it. I know I would rather put my money in a damper or crash protectors rather than some carbon number plate holders. :confused:

Having said that, buying them is one thing .... getting round to fitting them is a totally different matter. I took over a year to fit my crash protectors and that was only for the Mallory track day. :D

Anyway, here's hoping you never need to find out.

Best regards

simon

NattyBoy
02-08-2004, 08:59 AM
I think its down to the roads round here Phil, but mine is shaking its head like a lunatic ! I also plan to raise the rear ride height which will only make things worse..so there is method in my (spending) madness!!

Cheers
Nat

Tig
05-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Hi there,
After having my new S4R for a few weeks, it just 'wasn't me'....so to say.

So I've gone back to my 999.

Whilst I had the S4R, I noticed it definitely needed a steering damper.
I bidded for and won one on ebay for £235 including postage, obviously I don't need it now. It's still brand new in it's unopened packaging, the only thing I did was slit the package top to read the fitting instructions.
I'm going to put it back on ebay next week, the bidding when I bought it was furious so I expect I'll recover my money for it. In the mean time if any of you guys will pay me what I paid - then it's yours.

It would fit my girlfriends Monster 620, but to be fair it's not really needed on it.

Anyway cheers,

Andy Mac

Tig
05-08-2004, 03:56 PM
Andy Mac again!!!

I forgot to mention, I also bought a Marving slip on silencer for the S4R, from spareshack.
I'm putting that on ebay as well, any offers before I do it?

Ta

Andy Mac

Hans
05-08-2004, 10:29 PM
I will, it was me you out bid!! Can you PM me and I will arrange payment.

Cheers