PDA

View Full Version : plating-one 4 the experts

A Yerbury
09-07-2004, 09:58 AM
still waiting to hear about these hanger bolts ped was organising, if nowt happens then may get them plated. how would this affect a bolt? would there be enough thread tolerance and which would be the most practical? hmmmm
thanks in advance.
Alex

Pedro
09-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Yerbs

Steve Kearl was getting the bits done not me, I just provided the drawing! Gonna try to hook up with him soon to finalise the details though.

If you want to get your plated, the Zinc will need to be stripped off first then Chrome top coat added. The bolts will also need a copper undercoat prior to the chrome. The plating is not thick enoughto affect fit in threads

Ped

A Yerbury
09-07-2004, 12:36 PM
thanks ped, Im sure a good firm would take the zinc off, Ill make a few prelim enquiries abot price and finish, not a huge fan of chrome so Ill see what else is out there. will hold out for S K but if no takers maybe we could do a group batch.
Alex.

james t
09-07-2004, 01:44 PM
If my memory serves me correctly this is how it's done.
firstly the item goes to the polishing shop then it's wired on to a jig after that it goes to the plating department where it's put through Tricoethelene to de-grease it, It then gets copper plated and after it's washed it then has to be nickel plated and after that the item will be cromium plated.

It's a few years ago since I worked in a plating factory but I think the method is unchanged.

Regards James t.

A Yerbury
09-07-2004, 02:37 PM
nickel then chrome eh? Im a bit tempted by nickel -nearly bought a black/gold rickman kwak a few years back- place in worcester said about 30 squid for 10 bolts chromed. they are steel or an alloy?

steviej
09-07-2004, 02:48 PM
.............Tricoethelene.............

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Must have been a while ago James, I think they banned that NASTY stuff 10+ years ago..........................................

Pedro
09-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Trike can be used but in very limited quantities. Most cleaners are citrus based and don't work as well.

The plating undercoat used to be copper then nickel but improvments in processes and chemicals mean that EITHER copper or nickel can be used instead of both. The copper process uses a cyanide based chemical which is a bit nasty...

To remove the Zinc is reverse of plating - electro-stripping??? Can't think of the proper term at the moment.

The bolts are steel - I would recommend a Hard Chrome finish, More durable than just plain nickel.

Can you guess that my company has plating lines?

Ped

james t
10-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Good stuff that Trike, We had a large vat of heated Trike with water pipes running round the top on the inside of it (to keep the fumes down) you just lowered the item to be de-greased into the vat and hey presto the grease just melted away in seconds.

Mind you the fumes were a bit potent, Perhaps that explains my lack of brain cells and memory.

Regards James t. (I Think) :confused:

Pedro
10-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Yeah, Trike boils at about 35 degrees C and shifts anything. Touble is it destroys the lining of your nose and affects your kidneys!

Yikes! Nasty stuff! Having said that, most of the chemicals in the electroplating lines at work (no chrome alas..) are toxic too!

Ped

steviej
10-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Good stuff that Trike, We had a large vat of heated Trike with water pipes running round the top on the inside of it (to keep the fumes down) you just lowered the item to be de-greased into the vat and hey presto the grease just melted away in seconds.

Mind you the fumes were a bit potent, Perhaps that explains my lack of brain cells and memory.

Regards James t. (I Think) :confused:

Yep, the place I served my apprenticeship used, more or less, the same set up for the Chain-Shop, 'orrible greasy ****e one minute, white flaky powder the next. Spent three weeks in bed with Uraemia after dipping my hands in a bucket of it.....................really nasty stuff :eek: :eek: