PDA

View Full Version : Time for a bit of touching up!

Shandy
08-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Now summers here and its continuously raining, its time I spent a bit of time in the garage tidying up my old M600 (it's either that or go shopping with the missus, no contest really).

The engine and the frame are a bit on the shabby side, with the engine flaking a bit and a few rusty bits on the frame. I was thinking of just a bit of a touch up on both after removing the corrosion, I'd like to get on top of it before it takes over and I end up riding a two tone rust and yellow bike!

Has anyone tried to do this without stripping the bike down?

And can anyone out there recommend cleaners and paints and where to get them from for both the frame and engine?

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Shandy

NattyBoy
08-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Shandy...

I did the same thing. Got the 2 casings off, wet and dryed them down and got them 2 packed..

Next up, dremel and wire brush as much flaky paint off as you can off the engine , wash it down , then mask the whole bike up and spray the engine in the appropriate areas with a light dusting of silver car paint (left some of the fins black as intended). Important..only apply a light dusting (followed by laquer for added protection..dont use hight temp paint as its too thick).

Next up get inspection covers and cambelt covers off, dremel, wet and dry, and again paint with normal car paint (Ford polaris grey is as near to original) Replace all engine fasteners with new stainless fittings and this is the result !

NO its not...I still cant get f***g attachments to work...AARGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Shandy
08-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Cheers Natty,

I can go shopping for supplies now, only one stupid question whats this dremel stuff? I've never heard of that before.

Shandy

A Yerbury
08-07-2004, 02:58 PM
the casings now use an instant gasket 3bond which is excellent, on the side stand the right casing can come of without draining the oil, ditto shaft and valve covers -although the underside cover will pour about a third a cupfull. the gaskets on the valve covers are now metal and reusable.
AY

NattyBoy
08-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Its a little high speed tool with attachments !! You attach a little wire brush to it and it gets all the ****e off !!! I say Dremel, mines actually an unbranded job from B&Q..about £20 for a full set !! One of the best tools ive bought..and I do like my tools ! :lol:

P.S If you know anyone in the town who wants a nice little 600 monnie..let me know..mine will be available next week !

Cheers
Nat

Shandy
08-07-2004, 03:07 PM
New tools mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

B&Q's now on the shopping trip, next door to halfords too what a bonus.

I'll let you know if I hear of anyone wanting a nice little 600.

Cheers AY, the spanners are at the ready.

Shandy

Byron Kauffman
08-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Start by doing several de greaseing steps. Use something like S100 or simple green (even foaming toilet cleaner works) with a small (tooth) brush to remove the surface grease. wash it down with water (no pressure, just rinse it). Then do it all again to be sure the oil and grease are gone so the paint sticks.
The bike will need to dry for at least a day so you dont get any water drop surprises when the spray paint hits the parts.
Save yourself as much aggrivation as possible by pulling back or removing wires and hoses. Shoot a few digital photos first so you remember where the cables and tie wraps go. This will save you having to clean off the overspray later. Lacquer thinner works well for cleaning up parts prior to paint but dont get it on parts you dont want the finish removed. The dremel tool (or clone) works great with a wire brush attachment. Fine steel wool or scotchbright pad works for the larger areas. PJ1 makes really good lacquer engine paint in a close match to the original silver. Most bike shops should have it.
Those thin pvc plastic grocery bags make great masking material. they can be pulled over or wrapped around things to protect them and taped in place.

Pedro
08-07-2004, 04:55 PM
One of the best tools ive bought..and I do like my tools ! :lol:

Cheers
Nat

Shame you don't know how to use them a bit better.....

:D

A Yerbury
09-07-2004, 03:21 PM
looks a bit boshed but it worked. this was our 3 days of windless summer......

Shandy
09-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Nice ;) That looks like a copy of Motorcycle News, from the ones i've read its about all its good for!

At least i know now its possible to spray the frame without a strip down, thanks everyone for the advice, i'll post pics when i'm done of before and after.

Cheers,

Shandy

A Yerbury
09-07-2004, 03:34 PM
heres the finished frame and all the other bits....
top tip: if you can get a spray gun (v cheap spesh ebay) and do the 2pack paint then Id recommend it, Ive got chips already and now have some supposed chip free stuff to touch up the frame (would do the 2pack meself but as Im leaving uk i need to travel light and have enough tools as is...next year...) also redid the cases black and covers a metallic redish colour (another tip I did the underside cover black as a lot of stones oil etc fly up there) so there we have it! -apart from capnjaps carbon sils which finish the job off lovely, thanks again mate-
good luck. all we need is a dry spell.
Yerbs