PDA

View Full Version : V-Twin Rally

MilesB
08-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi there

Anyone else out there going to the V-Twin Rally (organised by the GB Moto Guzzi owners club) at Shaftesbury in Dorset over August BH Weekend?

Me (M900ie Dark) and the Missus (SV650) are going, and all Ducati twins are welcome... all bikes that are not V-Twins are banned!!! :lol:

MilesB :bunny:

NewMon
08-07-2004, 12:06 PM
L twins are ok then?

CK & AK
08-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Last year was pre-purchased ticket only for the w/end - dont think we are going to be able to make this one - but will be at the big do at Popham airfield on the Monday, as will Ducati UK bus too.

C :)

MilesB
09-07-2004, 07:48 AM
"L twins are ok then?"

L twins are just the perfect form of V twin :D
Anyway, it's organised by the Guzzi Club, and their 'V's are at 90 degrees too.

And yes, it's tickets in advance only - check out the Guzzi website.

Miles

NattyBoy
09-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Might well be up for that miles..

Nat

Little Monster
09-07-2004, 08:36 PM
long way but i love anything V twin so am pondering

As for the L twin rubbish - an L has a taller vertical than horizontal. A V has equal lengths. if you have an L twin i think you'd better ask for a refund! :lol:

thesaxman
25-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I shall be getting drunk at this event.

sax, drinking to uphold the honour of fellow monster riders. (hic)

Albie
25-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Going to Popham old mate. Are you up for bbq in orpington next sat ?? :lol:

thesaxman
25-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Going to Popham old mate. Are you up for bbq in orpington next sat ?? :lol:
not sure at the mo.

---------

saxman, needs new memory cell.

SimonH
26-07-2004, 09:46 PM
The Gang of Four will be at the V-Twin. You can recognise my bike, its a red 750 monster with a single sided swingarm and a 748sps motor. Penny has a red 750ie, Phil has a red Morini 3 1/2 sport and Keith has a BMW (Aaargh!)

We've been there every year since 1979 ho-hum!

See you there

SimonH ;)

kaysee
27-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Some of the Gang may even visit Popham on the way home on the B/Hol monday.

OI Simon, there is no Aaaargh about my BMW, more an aaaah, in a pipe and slipper way :D

SimonH
27-07-2004, 05:40 PM
mmmmm...........nice

CAKE
27-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Yep, I'm going (on my own) so please do come and talk to me! I don't bite, unless there's cream teas involved.
Cake

gary tompkins
27-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Yep, I'm going (on my own) so please do come and talk to me! I don't bite, unless there's cream teas involved.
Cake

Try to keep hold of your bumbag (that's the one with your whole life in it remember?) and don't to drink too much of the "square" beer.

You won't have Torchie (The Battery Boy) to bale you out this time :lol:

SimonH
28-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Cake,
look for the red monster with the 748 motor and come and say hello

SimonH

CAKE
28-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Cheeky Git!
You'll be pleased to know that at the FFF's rally last weekend, I drunk less than everbody ('bout 8 pints), kept all my clothes on, went to bed earlier than everbody else, and, went to bed on me own!
My reputation is blown to peices....
P.S. May have to make up for it at the Summer Breeze next weekend :oP

Little Monster
28-07-2004, 06:52 PM
think this is the same weekend as the bulldog bash - that's where i'll be headed. :cool:

Dave Pearson
31-07-2004, 08:51 AM
I've been looking for some info on this event, but can't find anything much. Is there a website any where with some info about what goes on, or if you've been b4, can you give a brief description?
We're hoping to go on the Sunday, so hopefully will meet up with some fellow monsterers.

TIA.

Dave

thesaxman
31-07-2004, 07:56 PM
I've been looking for some info on this event, but can't find anything much. Is there a website any where with some info about what goes on, or if you've been b4, can you give a brief description?
We're hoping to go on the Sunday, so hopefully will meet up with some fellow monsterers.

TIA.

Dave

http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/events//aug.html

HTH
:bunny:

Dave Pearson
31-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Thanks, I'd already found that one. I was kinda hoping to find out what happens, cuz it'll decide who comes as pillion, i.e. standing around talking about V twins, missus won't come, eldest son will. If there's a bit of a display/music etc. the missus would probably come along.

Dave

SimonH
31-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Dave,
the V-Twin is mostly a big social event. The routine is as follows:

Friday pm. Arrive and pitch tent. Book in. Go to pub. Talk bollocks.

Saturday Am. Breakfast, either in the Boy's club (attached to site) or walk into twon and go to cafe (5 mins) The club organises a parade around the town at about 1pm. The bikes line up in Park Walk (a pedestrian area) and are judged by the Mayor. After the judging there is a parade (local police + club officials do the marshalling and traffic is stopped) Usually about 400 V Twins on the parade. The rest of the day is yours. There are loads of good local roads and the town is full of pubs. Cream teas are a local speciality. There will be a band in the boys club in the evening.

Sunday
Runs out are organised to various places.
There is a band boys club later. Raffle and prizegiving. Trade stands on field

Monday
Go home. There is a Monster meet at Popham airfield

Simon H

Dave Pearson
01-08-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanx Simon, it sounds like a cracking weekend. Not sure if the missus would like it though ;)
Do most people tend to go for the whole weekemd i.e. camping?
Because we can only make it for the Sunday, it sounds like we'd be getting there just as the party is finishing :(
Just wondering whether we might be better to leave it till next year and do the whole weekend.
Wadaya think, is it worth doing just the Sunday?

Dave

SimonH
01-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Hmmmm..Most go for the whole weekend. Sunday is a bit weather dependent. You'd need to arrive by about 9.30 to catch the runs out. If the weather is good you can just chill out on the field - loads do. There's a beer tent with lots of real ales. Not so good for driving tho - which is why we go for the weekend

If you go, look me up. I've got a red monster with an SS swingarm and a 748 motor. Pen and Kaysee will be there

Simon H

Dave Pearson
01-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Simon, thanx for the info. I'm going to see if I can shift things around and try to get there for the whole weekend. If I can't do it this year though, I'll definately do it next year.
If we get there I'll look you up, that monster of yours sounds like a real one off, I must take a look at it :)
We will be doing the Bristol bike show the week b4, c u there if your going?

Dave

MilesB
01-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Well, things didn't go quite as planned!!!

We'd hoped and planned to do the whole 4 days, but Susan managed to put her back out the week before, so she wasn't able to handle her bike without pain - it's the leaning forward. Also the weather was crap on Friday, and riding 150 miles in the rain ain't my idea of a good time :( .

So we eventually set off on Saturday, 2up on the Monster - Susan could cope on the pillion, as she could sit upright. However, as we all know, Monsters have a limited capacity for luggage one you've got a pillion on board :rolleyes: . We had the tent and karrimats strapped over the tailpiece (good reason not to chop it), and a TALL tank bag with waterproofs, sleeping bags and washing kit. I have never travelled so light before.

Unfortunately it was cold, so we ended up buying some-more gear when we got there just so we could keep warm :eek: . After a night on the ground, we were both suffering, so headed home on Sunday.

All really friendly - it's the first bike rally we've been to, so we did not really know what to expect. Met up with SimonH, Penny, Cake, Saxman and his other half (whose name has temporarily escapes me :confused: ). Other Monsters too, as well as some classic old Ducati's and (unsurprisingly) loads of Guzzi's. Susan now wants us to get a California so we can go 2up cruising in comfort, but I want a V11 :D ... However, don't worry, as I'm also not allowed to sell the Monster either :bunny:

See you all next year. Hopefully this time with a bigger tent and an air matress - Susan will have to be fit as we'll need two bikes to carry all the junk!

CAKE
06-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Just wanted to say a big thanks to all of you who introduced yourself at the V Twin. THANKS & good to meet you. Makes a change from 2 years ago when no bugger spoke to me!

I hope Susan is on the mend.

Have you sobered up yet Sparticus?!

Here's to next year!

Cake

MilesB
07-09-2004, 08:09 PM
I think Susan is mending...

At the moment she is lying flat on the floor - doing her back exercises and being terrorised by our two house rabbits :eek: :D :bunny: :bunny:

Miles

thesaxman
07-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Have you sobered up yet Sparticus?!Cake

just about :twisted:

it was good to meet you all.

thesaxman
19-09-2004, 12:54 AM
hey cake, good time a t nabd as well..... :D :D :D :D

gary tompkins
19-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Glad you enjoyed the NABD rally, despite the weather doing it's best to spoil it for us. We had more than 600 through the gate this year (100+ on 2003), so should have made a good profit for the charity.

Thanks for your support & hope to see you again in 2005 :D

thesaxman
19-09-2004, 07:45 PM
sorry i never got to meet up wiv you gary, but i was very tired and confused on saturday night. :D
excellent rally, will def be there next year.

gary tompkins
20-09-2004, 08:14 PM
sorry i never got to meet up wiv you gary, but i was very tired and confused on saturday night. :D
excellent rally, will def be there next year.

So you were one of the greedy bar-stewards guzzling the 80 pints of real ale then? Only managed to get a pint in on both Friday & Saturday evening before the 3 barrels of decent ale vanished! I woz Gutted :(

Hope they get more in next year - I'm going to push for a pukka real ale bar in 2005 like the V-Twin's :D

CAKE
27-09-2004, 08:03 PM
:bunny: Oh Aye, Great time! Will be doing it all again next year. Look forward to seeing you!!!