PDA

View Full Version : Custom Exhausts

Pedro
07-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Anyone now where the law stands on custom made exhaust systems and "Not for Road Use" issues?

I'm sure that there are a good few Monsterites with these and I'm curious how you get through MOTs & Plod checks?

Ped

Paranoid Dave
08-07-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm sure that there are a good few Monsterites with these and I'm curious how you get through MOTs & Plod checks?

Ped

I don't. :mad:

For plod checks, at first sight of dayglo, pull in clutch lever and coast past or change up a gear and cool the throttle to a nice subtle burble. Then hope to god your mirrors don't soon get filled with dayglo yellow and flashing blue.

MOT, have a pair of original cans on standby. I was lucky last year, some smooth talking and a generous tester meant I got through unchanged. Naturally my custom cans are some of the quietest cans in the club anyway :rolleyes:
This year I have a pair of standard can but I have to change the downpipes too for them to fit, then make a bracket to hang the cans off the frame. Just to get through some legal test. What a palava. :confused:

DesmoDog
08-07-2004, 09:57 AM
My mechanic reckons that as long as there is no "not for road use" sign on em he can pass them on the MOT, they're more concerned with what's being spat out under the EC emmissions laws, allegedly.

Shandy
08-07-2004, 02:17 PM
I've allways thought to be road legal and pass the MOT non standard cans have to have a BSI kite mark on them, or so the insurance chappie kept saying to me.

I do what Paranoid Dave does at the first sign of anything with a blue light, pull in the clutch, let it idle and hold your breath hoping they don't look at you!

My MOT's not due till December so i've got a bit of time to keep an eye on e-bay for some cheapie standard cans, a quick swap has to be the easyist and least hassel way to get it through.

steviej
08-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Perhaps we could all chip in and buy a set for each area, when you MOTs due just pop round to where they're held and pop 'em on. Easy Peasy :confused: :confused:

Little Monster
09-07-2004, 09:40 PM
i got the impression from dodgy MOT man the other day that he doesn't mind that it would fail, just that it doesn't obviously look like it would fail - ie, PLOD aint gonna check emissions, but he'll spot a postage stamp number plate

stevie j - manky monsters are covered then cos me and TL both have the standards.... :D

Fosse Foxfight
13-07-2004, 11:15 AM
SHOULD WE?
It's absolutely outrageous.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25623&item=7909111741

There is no way anybody with race cans shoudl use stuff like this.
Its just very very very bad!!!

Shandy
13-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Looks just a tad dodgy to me, I wouldn't want that on mine, stupidly bad!

CK & AK
13-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Mine are custom made - but dont have any stamps on (the guy who made them cannot stamp them legal - as he has no licence, nor can he stamp them with an e-mark for the same reason!) - they also look 'almost' std - similar shape - just quite a bit shorter & also polished.
However - they were not looked at during the 'ministry & police check' the other week (blinking nuisance :mad: ) and havent been looked at in the 3 years they have been on a monster...

Round here, its the number plates & your speed they go for first.....then the rest (usually)

Have kept new cans for future MOT use in a couple of years or so.
BTW - what system may pass an MOT, may still be in contravention of the Road traffic act tho!

C

Pedro
13-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Just been on Leo Vinces Website where you can down load the homologation certificates for their exhausts.

A copy of which is now safely residing in my wallet!

Fosse Foxfight
13-07-2004, 04:24 PM
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/H-Trading-Ltd-Aromatherapy_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Hmmmmm, a form of audiotherpay maybe? :p