PDA

View Full Version : Servicing an S4

Bob Dixon
02-07-2004, 04:14 PM
I`ve had my S4 almost from new and have done the basic servicing myself [belts etc.] It`s an S4 Fogarty and i`ve fitted the kit parts which come with it Termis, Ecu etc etc. Now its run in and i`m getting used to it I suspect that its a bit flat at the top end, unfortunately i have no bench mark to compare it to. My local Ducati dealer reckons it will need 'setting up', but is rather evasive when I ask them exactly what this entails. What parameters can a dealer interfere with? Can they alter fueling ,advance and retard etc? I would have thought that this was pretty much preset by the factory. The bike has done 3,000 miles by the way, so is just nicely run in. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
Bob Dixon

br1an
02-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Absolute bollocks...that's the whole point of sealed ecu's isn't it?

I've got a dealer workshop manual on order for my S4 as there's no way I'm paying £400 notes for a service were the mechanics aren't even ducati trained.

Bry... :cool:

DesmoDom
02-07-2004, 04:43 PM
I know it may sound a bit obvious, but you should have 2 air box covers, if so, which one are you using. I've been told by the Ducati mechanic who built my 996 for me, that the airbox cover supplied with the Termi's, is too open and therefore the bike loses a lot at the top end.
He advised me to cut out the 2 triangular panels (one on each side of the air intake) on the front of the cover and that will make it better right through the revs and give better top end performance.

Hope this is of some help Bob

All the best
Baz

PaulS
02-07-2004, 05:25 PM
The fuelling can (apparently) be tweaked to a limited extent using the "Mathesis" diagnostic gear that a Ducati dealer should have. I'm using Termis, ECU and open airbox lid with the appropriate filter and mine runs fine at the top end - it's the bottom end where it's a bit rough!

Bob Dixon
03-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the quick responses [and Hi again Baz!] I have fitted the airbox supplied with the Termis which is indeed more open than the standard item.
Cutting holes in air boxes is such a black art that i`d be reluctant to start experimenting. It may just be that I`m expecting the top end rush of a jap four where the rev counter needle sweeps around the tacho faster than you can change gear, as opposed to the gradual build that seems to happen on my Ducati. Unfortunately the service clerk at my local Ducati dealer has an irritating way of answering sensible questions in a condescending 'Ducati know best' way.
I presume this is to mask his scant technical knowledge....presumably if he had any nouse he'd be on the tools.
The abilty to make small alterations on the fueling will almost certainly be to adjust CO levels at tickover for Mot purposes and presumably won`t have any affect on the top end performance.

steve kearl
07-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi Bob, I have had my S4 from new for 2 years now with Termis,air filter,open air box and ecu and she runs great, perhaps you have been spoilt, you forget, we are on good old fashioned thumpers. Great looking bike Bob.
Live long and prosper

Bob Dixon
08-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi Bob, I have had my S4 from new for 2 years now with Termis,air filter,open air box and ecu and she runs great, perhaps you have been spoilt, you forget, we are on good old fashioned thumpers. Great looking bike Bob.
Live long and prosper

Yes Kearly,
You may be right.....I didn`t qualify my comments by saying that the S4 covers ground quicker than any Jap multi I`ve ever ridden, bar an R1! I think that this is the deceptive thing about these engines. I remember seeing a test of a 916 versus a 'Blade. The roadtester came in from the track test stating that the 916 was slower, the lap times proved the opposite was true. I find that i can make really quick times across country on my S4 and arrive feeling unstressed and relaxed. It`s certainly got enough performance for me. My only gripe is the small tank , but that applies to just about every modern bike. I think a bike should be able to do 200 miles at a single sitting but very few will do this.....BMWs excepted.
Bob

Pete Goulden
23-08-2004, 09:46 AM
S4 Foggys came without the required cams for top end gains, the pipes airbox and ecu alow bike to rev to 10,250 but cam duration ends at about 9250 bike best riden between 3500 and 8000 to make good progress. Cams required for top end gains are 996 sps 2000 model they will require dialling in and new woodrough keys.