PDA

View Full Version : No Spark

surfer
30-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi all
I need help with a problem. Just got back from Assen bike ran well ( M600 ), came out today and its not running on front cylinder, my hubby has checked the coil seems ok, the module by swapping it,seems ok but the pickup for that cylinder has no reading on the meter, is it dud :confused: any help or advice!!

Thanks Surfer

spacemonkey
30-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Sounds like it is then. Have you checked the basics like spark plug first?

nik_the_brief
01-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Yep, try the plug and the lead first to eliminate the simple (and cheap to repair). If it's not then it sounds like one of the pickup coils has gone (they have to be replaced as a pair).

I had exactly that problem last summer and it was a catalogue of disasters the main problem being the sourcing of a new set of pick up coils. It was the annual factory summer holiday and it took over a month for the new part to come (so I'd recommend phoning round quick to try and find someone who has one just so you know where to go if it is the pick up coils). Think a new set was about £120 - I think that Stuart from Spareshack got them for me

Removing the old and fitting the new was a right pain in the proverbial. Couldn't find a pair of pullers to remove the left hand crank-case for love nor money. I ended up having to manufacture one using old bolts and drilling holes in a spanner.

After that it's a very fiddly job but comparatively straightforward, just make a note of the colour coding on where the pick up coils connect to the 'brains'. I had to ask someone from here to look at their bike and tell me how his was wired when I forgot due to lthe length of time between removing the old and receiving the new to fit (thanks JR :lol: ).

Make sure the air gap is right (as it'll cause you loads of grief otherwise) before you put it all back together. By the way I couldn't source a gasket from anywhere ("Sorry mate they don't make 'em anymore!!") so I had to use liquid gasket instead. No real problems apart from the delay.

Good luck. :D

surfer
01-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi all
Had a car electrition pal have a look at it and although he knows nothing about bikes he said the pickup was phut so i`ve ordered new from M & S in Newcastle (£105 :eek: ) will let you know if it works ( God i hope so )

Thanks