PDA

View Full Version : Factory fitted immobiliser

xjrjohn
29-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Hi
Can someone please tell me if the Ducati factory fitted immobiliser is Thatchum approved cat. 1......cos according to my insurance brokers its not!
Ta in advance
John

CK & AK
29-06-2004, 09:58 PM
No its not thatcham approved, but fitting one will only save you about £20.

Carole Nash would have liked one fitted on each of my bikes, but insurance only cost me £13 more without one.

C

xjrjohn
29-06-2004, 10:11 PM
No its not thatcham approved, but fitting one will only save you about £20.

Carole Nash would have liked one fitted on each of my bikes, but insurance only cost me £13 more without one.

C
yep ta for the reply..the prob wasnt in the saving of cash tho.....Equity Red Star..according to my brokers....wouldnt insure me with the Ducati one!..wanted me to fork out for a thatchum approved one....which my dealer said would set me back 300 notes!!!
Anyway got a quote from Bennetts...they said they found a company which approves of the Ducati one (ie in their list)..and guess what.......it was Equity Red Star! Confused??!! You will be! lol :confused:
John

CK & AK
30-06-2004, 07:47 AM
I'm insured with Equity red star - and have been since I got the first monster in March 02 (through Carole Nash).
Amazing isnt it! :confused:
What quotes are you getting in so far? - mine is £284 fully comp.Only 3 years no claims tho

C

xjrjohn
30-06-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm insured with Equity red star - and have been since I got the first monster in March 02 (through Carole Nash).
Amazing isnt it! :confused:
What quotes are you getting in so far? - mine is £284 fully comp.Only 3 years no claims tho

C
Hi
Bit of a long story but basically i got one years NCB.....had my license 2 yrs in total...started with a 600 bandit then after 6 months bought a zx6...the company i was with wouldnt insure me on it so i had to start again losing 6 months NCB....then after another 6 months i changed to a xjr1300...managed to get a full years NCB at last!..so now im partly through my next 6 months and im faced with the problem i stated in the thread! Been back on to my brokers (Express Insurance) and they still insist Equity wont insure me with that immobiliser! (yet they will through Bennetts, Carole Nash to name a few of many). Personally i think its a real con..they get my custom for 6 months...i cant keep with them for obv reasons..which then means my insurance (for NCB) is broken and i end up with proof of only 12 months NCB (when in real terms i have 2 years without an accident!) So unless u know what future bike youre going to own (and providing they will insure you) your insurance finances are in the hands of some incompetent knob on the end of a phone (sorry for swearing). Also, they said that if i did change to a cat. 1 immobiliser....they would kindly take £180 for the rest of my premium year on top of what premium i already owe! Now im not a mathmatician but that means my insurance would be over £700 for a bike that is prob no higher group..only higher value. :confused:
Anyway the best quote so far on 1 yr NCB is £495
John

NewMon
01-07-2004, 06:38 PM
I have a similar complicated situation with 2 bikes (1 monster) and different policies. I chatted to the nice Ducati Insurance man at the track day and I'm going to give them a go. He promised to be able to continue all the NCBs with minimum fuss. They do multi-bike policies as well.

xjrjohn
01-07-2004, 09:25 PM
I have a similar complicated situation with 2 bikes (1 monster) and different policies. I chatted to the nice Ducati Insurance man at the track day and I'm going to give them a go. He promised to be able to continue all the NCBs with minimum fuss. They do multi-bike policies as well.
mm didnt know other companies would continue someone elses NCB....maybe i ll try that..ta for the info
John

xjrjohn
02-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Hi
Finally found a good quote after 2 days of ringin round.....through Axa (Direct something)Insurance...£420 fully comp..1 yr NCB.....quote me foooooooooooookin happy :lol:
John
ps The insurance company is Equity Red Star (the people who wouldnt insure me cos of the Ducat immobiliser under my old policy) :confused:...oh...and Norwich Union wanted a grand....i did give it a moments thought before i said ermmm no

logyk
03-07-2004, 08:22 AM
I don't want to scaremonger but I do have a horror story about Equity Red Star and Carole Nash.

A friend of mine was riding his 4 month old 749 with 3 others. A car pulled out on the leader who crashed into the car. My friend was second in line and went down on the debris totalling his bike and breaking his collar bone (amongst other injuries).

Now here comes the sting.......he was insured with ERS. Guess what ....so was the driver of the car !

There is a term in the ERS policy that if there is a total loss claim the policy is immediately terminated!

The result was that my friend waited an age for them to agree the value of his bike.....then he had his NCB suspended as ERS had not admitted liability. Well since they were on both sides there was no real incentive was there ?

ERS having terminated his policy wanted over £2000 to insure him. It took about 6 months before my friend's solicitor was able to persuade ERS that the car driver was at fault at which point my friend's NCB was reinstated (except for the current year because the policy had been terminated part way through!!!!).

Please all check your policies....would not want anyone else to go through what my mate did.

Insurance companies ......don't you just love them ! :mad:

NattyBoy
03-07-2004, 08:34 AM
I got two quotes for my 888 and S4R, and both companies (my exisiting insurer Laxtons and ducati insurance) were happy with the ducati immobliser. Renewed with Laxtons for £390 for both.

Can I take this opportunity to recommend Laxtons..a family run business in Chester. I have been with them 3 years because they always give me the best quote (even have my home insurance policies with them), are super efficient, and when my 916 got totalled, they ensured a pay out within 3 weeks, which I was very happy with.

There phone number is 0870 444 6365.

BTW..if anyone needs alarms, ive got some new genuine ducati ones here for £125 instead of £240 !! :lol:

Cheers
Nat