PDA

View Full Version : Warranty claims & servicing - where do I stand?

YourOldNemesis
29-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Bike is currently in **** in ******* suffering (presumably) from worn crankshaft bearings and worn crank.

They reckon this is down to overtightening of bearings during the last service.

The bike is still under manufacturers' warranty, but has had 1 post run in and 1 6000 mile service.

They're currently finding out if it is covered by warranty or if, because it was likely to have been f*cked up by the last service (done in the SE of England) it is not.

My question is, what if it's not covered by warranty? What am I legally entitled to expect from the (potential) dimwits who overtightened the bearings and took cash off me for the privelige? (The service was done by the dealer while it was waiting to be picked up by me - I am the second owner).

pete
29-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Bike is currently in Alvins in Edinburgh suffering (presumably) from worn crankshaft bearings and worn crank.

They reckon this is down to overtightening of bearings during the last service.

This sounds a bit strange to me. I wouldn't have thought
they go anywhere near crankshaft bearings in a service.
Surely that's a strip down ?

Well let's see what the real experts have to say when they
return from Mallory...

YourOldNemesis
30-06-2004, 08:39 AM
I agree, and that's what I put to them yesterday. Still waiting to hear back from them, but I can't see how they can claim this is anything other than a manufacturer's fault...

YourOldNemesis
01-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Happy conclusion from good mechanics and service posted here: http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2174163#post2174163

norrie
01-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Thats good to hear mate.
Although i'm suprised you got good service from them but there you go.

Norrie.