PDA

View Full Version : Falsies

dazzi-b
27-06-2004, 12:10 PM
I seem to be having a bit of a problem with false neutrals. It's not only when going into neutral from either 1st or 2nd and finding that even though the light has come on the bike is still in gear but it's sometimes happening when shifting down through the gears (never noticed it when shifting up)

It's not happening all the time and I've started to put the downward change neutrals down to me not been positive enough when changing.

Does anybody else have the same problem, if so....what is the soloution? If any :confused:

norrie
27-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Ensure your chain is well lubed and properly adjusted.
I find this with my bike when the chain needs adjusting or lubed.
Also make sure the wheel is alligned prperly.

Norrie.

dazzi-b
27-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I'll check that and keep my eye on it in future :)

Paranoid Dave
27-06-2004, 06:09 PM
dont forget you might have some ducrapi electrics?

My Neutral light is on about 30% of the running time, usually in the lower gears too? Been like that as from this years monster weekend, must be the wet :D I ALWAYS let the clutch out slowly after assuming what I think is neutral just in case the bike lurvhes forward. I also notice that genuine neutral is a brighter light than the flase one?

Its not unusual for monsters to show neutral when they aint. :rolleyes:

daedos
28-06-2004, 08:28 AM
How about the other way round, trying to get third gear and getting neutral instead - with no light.

I often use the gears to slow the bike and when I recently carried a pillion I downshifted and found neutral. Had to brake rather sharpish, the pillion slid forward and my nuts got squashed against the tank :eek:

spacemonkey
28-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Of course, you all know that the neutral light sender is adjustable, don't you? Consult the Haynes Book of Lies and ye shall see that thou doth adjust by shim washers...

Mrs Soup
29-06-2004, 01:33 PM
I often get a false neutral between 3rd and 4th mostly on the upshift. I assumed it was just part of the 'character' of the bike.

Trouble is it's usually when overtaking, just at the point of no return...... :eek:

spacemonkey
29-06-2004, 11:31 PM
I often get a false neutral between 3rd and 4th mostly on the upshift. I assumed it was just part of the 'character' of the bike.

Yup, more false neutrals than Switzerland in 1946...