PDA

View Full Version : Nick

duke900
25-06-2004, 04:40 PM
[COLOR=Red]Although my monster is a 900, I WANT MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
does any one out there now where to get a big bore kit done. :burnout: :twisted: [COLOR=Red]undefined

Drucilla
25-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Drucilla is a 944 done by Pro Twins
http://www.protwins.co.uk/index.html

psychlist
25-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Long way for you perhaps but look up Moto-Rapido in Winchester! think they do a 1040cc conversion for the 900 2-valve motor alomg with plenty of internal smoothing and polishing :eek:

Pedro
25-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Moto Rapido have just finished a mates S4 - now a 955 with big valves, SBK cams and an FIM ECU (adds about 2000rpm at the top apparently!!). Nearly 140bhp on the dyno.

Enough?

Melnie Mouse
25-06-2004, 10:49 PM
shame we ain't got dyno :(

M900Dom
26-06-2004, 04:41 PM
[COLOR=Red]Although my monster is a 900, I WANT MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
does any one out there now where to get a big bore kit done. :burnout: :twisted: [COLOR=Red]undefined

You Dont need a Big Bore, most of the gains are because the Big Bore Kits are all Hi-Compression, rather than the 20cc per cylinder increase ;)

I bought a set a couple of months back from California Cycle works, with a jet kit as well.
The exchange rate at the moment makes it very very worthwhile.
They are a Drop in Piston kit as well, made by JE and no need to rebore and they take the Compression ratio up from 9:1 to 11:1 :D

Cosworth also do a Forged Hi-Comp piston but you will need to have a batch done.

If you want even more then I can do you Heads like This :D
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL93/2039551/3951420/49930144.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL93/2039551/3951420/49930176.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL93/2039551/3951420/49930208.jpg

Check out the piston prices etc: www.ca-cycleworks.com

HTH
Dom

spacemonkey
05-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Tasty, do you need to use Super unleaded with this CR or will normal juice do it?

M900Dom
05-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Tasty, do you need to use Super unleaded with this CR or will normal juice do it?

It should run OK on Standard, But I tend to run on Optimax anyway, it always seemed happier on it even with standard C/R

Why ?
Do you fancy it ? :D

Steve Willmott
06-07-2004, 10:59 PM
I got high comp pistons, big valves, full porting job, matched inlets, light flywheel, full termignoni system & flatslides, so long as you don't worry what it costs it's brilliant. 85bhp at the wheel and a torque curve that runs from just under 60 at 3k rpm to just under 70 & back down to just under 60 again at 8k rpm.
It don't sound like much if you read Ducati's spec sheet but most 900's only put about 65bhp out standard and that torque is close to an old R1's.
The best mod is the flatslides as they will give a big chunk of the increase and they make the motor much more tractable right through the rev range and you get better punch when you crack the throttle open as they have an accelerator pump which literally dumps extra fuel in. They are also more efficient than cv carbs so you don't even lose out on gas mileage.
At mallory I could sit up behind an S4 easy enough it's only when you get up to higher speeds that you start to drop back as I just run out of revs, gearing changes next :twisted:

spacemonkey
07-07-2004, 04:11 PM
It should run OK on Standard, But I tend to run on Optimax anyway, it always seemed happier on it even with standard C/R

Why ?
Do you fancy it ? :D

Might contemplate the high comp pistons, bigger valves and matching/porting work at a later date, to go with the K&N and race cans I have. At a rough guess, how much moolah would you think this will set me back? Can't be arsed with the large bore pipes or carbs mind. Mine taps out 74 at the back on the last dyno run...

Steve Willmott
07-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Spacemonkey

Wish I'd thought of a daft name before I started :lol:

Lots of dosh is the answer! I already had the pipes on & it cost me £3400 to get the rest of it done (there are a lot of minor things to add) at Baines racing. All Ducati stuff is expensive but I did feel a bit over charged as it came to more than I was quoted at the outset, when I get anything else done I'll probably go to Protwins, it probably won't be any cheaper but I met one of the guys at mallory & he seemed pretty genuine & willing to offer help.

Arias pistons were £335, £33 each for valves, porting £300, fitting £ :eek: all plus vat.

Never just think of your peak bhp, you have to see the rest of the curve & the torque curve to get a good idea of what it's like to ride.
Steve

spacemonkey
07-07-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm not into peak power so to speak, just crisp, torquey (isn't that in Devon??) throttle response. However a bit more oomph would be nice. I could probably fit it all together without probs if only I had a workshop, as I've done much worse. I guess I'll leave it til I bugger off abroad, and build a workshop!!

Steve Willmott
07-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Bugger off abroad and miss out on the wonderful english summer? You must be sickening for something :p You do realise that it's all populated by jonny foriegner :lol:
Where you gonna go?

spacemonkey
07-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Hispania, or Catalunya to be precise, where it is full of Johnny Foreigner!!!

M900Dom
08-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Lots of dosh is the answer! I already had the pipes on & it cost me £3400 to get the rest of it done (there are a lot of minor things to add) at Baines racing. All Ducati stuff is expensive but I did feel a bit over charged as it came to more than I was quoted at the outset, when I get anything else done I'll probably go to Protwins, it probably won't be any cheaper but I met one of the guys at mallory & he seemed pretty genuine & willing to offer help.

Arias pistons were £335, £33 each for valves, porting £300, fitting £ :eek: all plus vat.

Never just think of your peak bhp, you have to see the rest of the curve & the torque curve to get a good idea of what it's like to ride.
Steve

Christ, makes mine look like a bargain !!!

Admittedly I did all the work (Apart from reshimming, as I ran out of time so Baines did that) but even so....
Hi comps were about 200-220 delivered..... From the states :D jet kit was another £40.
Porting you are looking at £270, didnt change valves, £160 for Baines to reshim and supply some pulleys.
You have to factor in Gaskets, belts etc as well.
So realistically, if you are reasonably competant with the spanners then £5-700 could really wake up your Duke ;) :D

Or you could do £500 on heavy shiny bits that people will see :rolleyes:

HTH
Dom

Steve Willmott
08-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah I know I should have done some of it myself but I got pretty heavily involved with my business & I just don't get the time.

The sundries aded up to quite a chunk, stupid things like a quick action throttle reshelling the bottom end etc blah blah really adds up.

As you start chasing smaller bits of power it gets more & more expensive and I've been told that no one has gotten anymore than 92bhp from a 900 on pump gas, other than bar talk that is :p

I'm not sure what to do next, I was going to try some cams, maybe just SS ones as they move the whole rev range up 2000rpm but are basicaly similar to the monster ones but after mallory I'm thinking maybe some gearing changes will give me the same thing without reving it so far as I was over revving it at every corner because the gearing wasn't right.

I definitely won't be spending any money on heavy shiny stuff as I've already taken 20kg's off & I've got a carbon tank ready to go on and then the wheels to buy the suspension to change slipper clutch to buy..........dreaming maybe but it will happen :twisted: a couple more years should see it all done, been 6 already :eek:

Nice polish on your ports Dom but you know you should leave them rough as you can get fuel wetting out on the surface & end up with a lean mixture, the roughness helps to keep the mix moving & in suspension, it also helps to have a thin coating of carbon in the exhaust ports & if it's too smooth it doesn't stick so well.

Talking of fuel mines been ok on regular for the road & just use super on the track.

Lot of typing this I need to go lie down :burnout:
Steve

M900Dom
09-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Nice polish on your ports Dom but you know you should leave them rough as you can get fuel wetting out on the surface & end up with a lean mixture, the roughness helps to keep the mix moving & in suspension, it also helps to have a thin coating of carbon in the exhaust ports & if it's too smooth it doesn't stick so well.
Steve

Old wives tale and it was done to death when I originally put the pictures up

Long story short:
There is no measurable difference on a dyno between Polished and rough.
There is on a flowbench not on a dyno
HTH
Dom