PDA

View Full Version : Another bloody sprocket question...

nik_the_brief
21-06-2004, 07:08 PM
I've just bought a 37 rear sprocket by mistake, do any of you technical bods know if a smaller sprocket will cause me any problems? (I presume that the chain would need a link or two removing).

I have it booked in to the garage on Thursday and really need to be back on the road the same day.

I'd happily run it that way as long as it won't put to much pressure on my weedy little restricted 600 engine.

Any ideas? :confused:

Duncan
21-06-2004, 08:57 PM
It depends on what sort of riding you do. The effect will be to gear the bike up dropping the revs at a chosen speed giving increased economy and the bike unlikely to rev out in top, but making pulling away and town work harder on the clutch.

Your gearing should be 15 front to 43 (or 46) rear 2.86:1 (3.03:1) but if you have 15 to 37 thats 2.46:1 which is around 15% different from standard. You could put a 14 on the front giving you 2.64:1.

Otherwise, I am about due a new chain and sprocket and will buy the 37 off you.

Pedro
21-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Dunc

if your interested, Busters are doing EK X Ring Gold chain & sprockets for £85 mail order - just fitted one, nice quality.

Ped

Duncan
22-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks Ped

Got my last one at Busters about 18 months ago and it was £85 back then. Its done 12,000 miles and has just developed a tight spot. Last thing I want is another broken chain, it did a lot of damage last time.

nik_the_brief
22-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks Duncan, I'll try it with the 15 front and 37 rear for the time being and swap my new 15 front for a 14 to get the ratios closer to normal later (since I can change the front myself at a later date without the rigmarole of removing the rear wheel etc.) :)

norrie
22-06-2004, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't fit a 37 rear sprocket that is a big change.
Can you not leave the original sprocket on the rear until you get a new one.
Most Ducati dealers will have them in stock.
Saying that your bike will probably do another 20 MPH top speed. :lol:
You really dont want to be changing more than 3 on the back one on the front.

Norrie.

MotoNik
08-07-2004, 04:28 PM
This is probably a bit late, but it's worth noting that Talon do beautiful quality sprockets for pretty much any bike, any number of teeth, and do next day delivery.

Thoroughly recommended.

Nik

zedhead
14-07-2004, 08:06 AM
I reckon it's highly unlikely you#ll gain any top speed at all, given how weedy the 600 engine is...
I reckon you'll be stalling it left right and centre (or knackering the clutch cos you're slipping it so much) and then struggling to get any kind of acceleration at all...

... but I could be wrong, let us know how you get on...

nik_the_brief
14-07-2004, 09:05 AM
I listened to the advice I got from the above postings (thanks guys) and managed to pick up a correct sprocket from Ducati Ashford so it's running on 15/43 as it should be now. :D