PDA

View Full Version : Chain and sprockets.

norrie
21-06-2004, 05:28 PM
What is the standard size chain and sprockets on a 600?
Mine has a 102 link chain and a 15/46 sprocket combination.

Thanks.

Norrie.

nik_the_brief
21-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Just sorting the same myself Norrie.

The Owner's Manual says:

15 front
43 rear
1000 links in chain.

Just bought a 37 rear sprocket by mistake, do any of you technical bods know if a smaller sprocket will cause me any problems? (I presume that the chain would need a link or two removing). I have it booked in to the garage on Thursday and really need to be back on the road the same day. I'd happily run it that way as long as it won't put to much pressure on my weedy little restricted 600 engine. (I'll post this bit elsewhere as well as a cry for urgent help!!).

Hope the info helps. :burnout:

Pedro
21-06-2004, 09:58 PM
NTB

You could drop to a 14 on the front - it will fit ok. Some think that it wears the chain more as it follows a tighter radius but it's probably marginal.

To check the ratios, divide the larger sprocket tooth count by the smaller:

Stock 15/43 gives a final ratio of 2.866 to one
the 14/37 option would give 2.642

Its a small change but wouldprobably be OK if you can't get the pukka parts.

One other thing - is it really 1000 links? Flipping long that!

Ped

gary tompkins
21-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Nik,

Given the same options, I would try and get the correct 43 tooth rear cog. TBH I think my moderately sorted M600 (dynoed at 57bhp) would have struggled to pull top gear on a 37 tooth rear, let alone a 600 restricted to 33bhp. The other problem is that the 100 link chain might be too long, and you could run out of adjustment on the swinging arm once the chains stretched a bit. This would be even worse if you swap to the 14 tooth front as well, and if you chop links out it may end up too short if you decide to fit the 43 tooth sprocket later on?

nik_the_brief
22-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys,

Yep Pedro 100 links (hit the 0 one too many times!!)

Have had to rebook the garage appointment anyway due to other committments. It's in for the new chain and sprocket to be fitted for Monday. The garage that I use say they don't think it'll be overly critical if I drop to a smaller rear sprocket (to save me the aggro of getting another one) and he'll shorten the chain. All I need to do if it hasn't got the legs is to get off my arse one weekend and remove the bloody restrictor.

I'll get around to replacing both sprockets and the chain next time round with the correct size if it doesn't work out!!

Your technical nouse is, as always, much appreciated.

Nik

norrie
22-06-2004, 11:09 AM
102 link chain and 15/46 sprocket combination is correct on mine.
I eventually found it in the manual.
As for using a smaller sprocket at the rear I woudn't as it will make a lot of differance.
You are better going up a couple of teeth on the rear or down on the front or both.
On my other bike I went from 15/42 to 14/43.
The sprockets should always add up to an odd number as well.
It is so the same piece of chain dosen't meet the same point on the sprockets as much i.e. creating more ware.

Cheers.

Norrie.