PDA

View Full Version : Front brake-brake light

tony_unn
21-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Front brake light is not working, don't know how long it has been like this. Rear brake light fine so not bulb, has anyone else had this problem, is the front brake switch possibly at fault, has anyone traced the wiring on this part of the bike.

The last question is to find out how many sections there are so if I have to start taking apart the loom I will be doing it for a good reason.

Lastly the bike is still under warranty and due its second service in july should I just wait and get them to sort it?

Any help welcome.
cheers

gary tompkins
21-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Tony,
I had the switch pack up un mine just outside of warranty. Cost £16 to replace it, and if the 620's the same design the switch just pushes into the lever assembly (snap fit), & I had to prise the old one out with a flat blade screwdriver. The wires on my switch just plugged into two bullet connections off the main loom on the right hand side of the headstock, and it took about 10 minutes to swap.

tony_unn
21-06-2004, 07:40 AM
Thanks, the switch just bolts on but may actually come apart if I have a proper look. I recognise where you mean about the bullet connectors on the headstock.

cheers

gary tompkins
21-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Looks like the master cylinder assemby (and switch) is a slightly different design on the 620ie compared to my 900ie, but it sounds like you've got it sussed :)

tony_unn
21-06-2004, 12:00 PM
I have just booked the bike in for service and told them it was broken, it will be fixed under warranty, just have to remember to tap the back brake every now and then :) .

TC

craigie
22-06-2004, 08:17 PM
I have found that the switch gets right mucky on mine and justs needs a good blast of WD40 or some such stuff, I use No-rust-o-preen which is very good. a good bit of advice from Daytona instead of selling me a new one!

Albie
22-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Sometimes the little plunger falls out if for some reason you take off the lever. Its about 5mm diameter by about 8mm long black plastic. Be careful. THEY ARE ADJUSTABLE THOUGH :o

Ken_the_Carp
30-06-2004, 11:25 AM
On newer bikes the switch is held in place with 2 small screws with nuts on the underside. Still has the plastic plunger. The little nuts are impossible to find if you drop them in the grass, The switch can be taken apart by unlatching the 4 tabs (nothing falls out). You can push on the little spring and watch it click ON/OFF. Some contact cleaner and it should be OK.

tony_unn
30-06-2004, 11:34 AM
If I have time on Saturday might try and take it apart, I will put a meter across the switch to see if there is any problem with it.

After yesterdays track day I can live with a dodgy brake light, sounds like it was a great time down there, everybody seems to have come away relativley unscathed.