PDA

View Full Version : Does an Ohlins rear shock make much difference?

marchesini
17-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I am doing the trackday at the end of the month so was just checking on suspension settings etc. I then remembered I have a box full of stuff in the garage that I never got round to fitting onto the S4 - clip-ons, rearsets and an Ohlins rear shock.

My intention is to change to an S4R between now and the end of the year so would be selling these items as they do not fit the S4R. I wasn't going to bother putting them onto the bike but with the trackday coming up, I thought that the Ohlins rear might be worth putting on. I guess the difference between a lightly used shock and an unused shock wouldn't be that great so I may as well get the use out of it?

Anyway, the question is, is it worth it and was it a noticeable difference in feel. If the difference is minimal, I may just sell the shock on ebay and put it towards the new bike. If I will notice a huge difference, then I may well use it get a little use from it before the bike is sold.

Thoughts?

simon

pooh
17-06-2004, 11:18 PM
YES YES

Ian

marchesini
17-06-2004, 11:26 PM
YES YES

Ian

In what way. More stable, plusher, faster etc, etc. Road, track or both? Was the front reworked at the same time or just the rear?

thanks

fatbloke
18-06-2004, 02:47 PM
without a doubt yes BUT get it set up to suit you or it may be a lot worse than the settings you have now.

Kev Bunney
18-06-2004, 03:54 PM
No, don`t bother, ps, how much do you wan`t for it :lol:

berto
18-06-2004, 05:23 PM
:cool: I agree with Kev they are total pish.....Can I buy it from you???

marchesini
18-06-2004, 05:30 PM

I am going to get it put on for the track day and then will use it for a couple of months or less until I sell the bike. I will revert the bike back to standard and part out the extra bits. So if you are interested Kev, you can have first refusal on it - assuming I don't wreck at Mallory. I have no idea how much it will go for so I'll do some research and post back closer to the sale time.

simon

Kev Bunney
18-06-2004, 05:45 PM
OK mate, just give me a shout when you`re ready, Thanks.

Duncan
18-06-2004, 05:48 PM

Kev

Not sure if it'll fit yours, the S4 having the later frame without rising rate suspension loop whereas the M750 had the loop. Is it the same shock on both frames?

A Yerbury
18-06-2004, 08:33 PM
nearly 500 pounds worth of difference! not on a baby monst but s4? keep us posted.

Kev Bunney
19-06-2004, 12:02 AM
nearly 500 pounds worth of difference! not on a baby monst but s4? keep us posted.

So I`m out of the picture then :( Berto your the man now !

Albie
19-06-2004, 12:05 AM
How much do you reckon its worth then an Ohlin ???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

marchesini
19-06-2004, 12:25 AM
How much do you reckon its worth then an Ohlin ???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Really do not have a clue as I bought a load of extra stuff at the same time - clip-ons, crash protectors, rearsets, ohlins shock, carbon bits etc - none of which are fitted and most probably none of which fit an S4R :confused: .

I will have to dig out the Demon Tweaks catalogue to see the fitting guide as I am pretty sure that it will not go onto an S4R. If the S4 ohlins difference is noticeable then I will probably get the same for the new bike. Does anybody know if the S4R uses the same rear shock as the 996/8 or is it a completely different item? Quite confused at the moment as I saw a Penske rear on ebay which said that it fitted an S4 and an S4R :confused: which really does not make much sense to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10448&item=7904818746&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Anyone know if this is correct info and if it is, will my existing ohlins fit the S4 and the S4R?

Thanks again all

simon

Albie
19-06-2004, 12:34 AM
When i rode the s4r it felt really good so im sure youd be happy with standard spec for a while.Its all adjustable. :o

marchesini
19-06-2004, 12:43 AM
When i rode the s4r it felt really good so im sure youd be happy with standard spec for a while.Its all adjustable. :o

Well, I'll be in the queue for the test ride on the s4r on the trackday so it might be interesting to ride them back to back. I'll still be interested if the shocks are interchangeable though. :confused:

Albie
19-06-2004, 12:50 AM
I dont think youll find much difference between yours a few more bhp and the gorgeous crafted swingarm and sidestacked exhausts which alot of peeps dont like. And the dustbin catalytic converter.yuk. I will be after an s4 next year if youve still got it.I was going to buy a senna coloured m1000 but could go the finance last year so i got the 900 temp.Ps is barnehurst near dartford erith way :o

marchesini
19-06-2004, 01:03 AM
I dont think youll find much difference between yours a few more bhp and the gorgeous crafted swingarm and sidestacked exhausts which alot of peeps dont like. And the dustbin catalytic converter.yuk. I will be after an s4 next year if youve still got it.I was going to buy a senna coloured m1000 but could go the finance last year so i got the 900 temp.Ps is barnehurst near dartford erith way :o

Nothing to do with the ohlins question but what the hell aye - nobody's watching this time of the morning :twisted:

The bhp is neither here nor there but the swingarm is nice (although not as nice as the MV swingarm). The sidestacked exhausts are awful - what is the point of putting a lovely single sided rear wheel on and then covering it up with some stacked cans. On a monster, an exhaust can either side is the only way to go - I mean, how many people would willingly convert their twin pipes into a single pipe? Not many, I'd guess.

The cat would be simple enough to get rid of and would definitely go. Just to put my mind at rest, before I fully commit to an S4R (that would be my 4th - m750, m900, S4, ???), I may go and have a test ride on the Brutale at Red Dog or Powerhouse motorcycles - if they have any demo bikes? Can't see myself leaving the joy of twins though but you never know :eek:

simon

Albie
19-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Fatblokes got a two into one.Dont like.each to there own.Like the brutale hate the aprilia tueno cos its a mille with no lower fairing. The monster isn't a916 without the fairing it is what it is.I may wait for the new monster if it ever comes out but most people dont like evolution at first. :D