PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil smell and smoke

DesmoDog
17-06-2004, 09:35 AM
I had the bike warming ready for a ride when I notice smoke coming from the exhaust pipe just after the split on the chain side of the bike. It smells like oil dripping on to the hot exhaust! :eek:

I haven't removed the guard to check the exact location of the leak, but I have noticed a very slight (one drop a night) leak under the bike when parked up - I had put that down to a poor seal at the filter and hadn't got round to doing anything.

The bikes a 98 with 27000 on the clock so I don't expect it to be perfect, is there a seal that's prone to going on the engine casing or am I in serious trouble?

steviej
17-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Have you just lubed your chain by any chance??

As for the drip, this could come frome the drive sprocket, chain lube accumulates around there too.

Pedro
17-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Might be the drive shaft seal dripping - if they get covered in chain lube they pick up dirt & dust which could wreck the seal.

If it seems to be coming from lower down, check the sump plug crush washer. If you don't fit a new one they dribble after a few weeks once the oil is hot.

HTH
Ped

DesmoDog
17-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Have you just lubed your chain by any chance??

As for the drip, this could come frome the drive sprocket, chain lube accumulates around there too.

Stevie,

I have just lubed my chain, and that could well be the solution to the smoke question - I shall investigate. As for the drip, it's too constant - I think Peds suggestion about the crush seal is the culprit. Again, I'll give it a look see.

Cheers lads.

Pedro
17-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Desmo

last time round I forgot the crush washer and when the motor was hot it dribbled just enough to cause a little smoke - don't be tempted to heave the bolt up tighter though - it's easy to bugger up the hex in the sunmp plug as it's made of brass. When it is knackered, it's a swine to get out!! Been there, done that!

Ped

DesmoDog
18-06-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah,

I saw that on Ducati Suite - my guess is that the thing has been screwed in good and bloody tight at the last service (groan), I can add that to the costs at the next - beginning to think my baby is going to cause me more work than I thought :-(

spacemonkey
18-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Also as Ped said it could be the output shaft oil seal. Overtightening of the chain could cause this, so check chain tension correctly too. Probably chain oil though coming out from the sprocket cover. Take it off and clean it up..

A Yerbury
18-06-2004, 08:40 PM
its prob the crush, next oil change look at what it pours on to! (pipe) chain gel/oil/wax tends to stick onto the chain. prev owwner didnt replace crush washer and i had the same...hmm right in front of the r tyre too...........

DesmoDog
19-06-2004, 12:59 PM
cheers guys - I'll check both because it's chucking it down outside and the garage is a haven.