PDA

View Full Version : Big end bearings

YourOldNemesis
16-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Took bike in to check a noise I didn't like, turns out it has a likely big-end bearing failure. It's an '02 bike and if I'm lucky is just inside warranty (need to get home to check) if I'm unlucky then it's just outside warranty :(. If the latter is the case, do I have any recourse for compensation as this is surely a manufacturer's fault, or am I going to have to foot the bill...?

DesmoDog
16-06-2004, 01:51 PM
This goes over to the chat we had about paint. The Warranty exists as an add on to your consumer rights. Just because warranty has expired don't mean you have no rights. How did you buy the bike in the first place? If you used a credit card (don't laugh, I did) you're well in because its covered to a point anyway, you'll certainly get legal help. If you're buying on HP, same thing could apply - The other thing is to check with your insurers, most have a legal advice line that you can use.

I'm sure other, more knowledgable sorts will join in soon. Their advice is usually very good.

Runningman
16-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Whatever the position regarding your warranty it's worth talking to Ducati UK about it.
My experience is that as long as its been correctly serviced by approved dealerships, they are sympathetic to problems of this kind if the warranty has only just expired.

Contact Ian or Mark on 01908 441160; stay cool and make your case, they will probably ask you to write to them with copies of all your documents, so be prepared for the long haul.
Good luck

YourOldNemesis
16-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Didn't get it on credit card as I would have had to add a %age.

According to a couple of other sources I can probably still have them under "sale of goods not fit for purpose". Even outside warranty claims if bike has been serviced properly (got the stamp in the book) then it is not fit for purpose if big-end bearing goes at 8k. This is clearly a manufacturers fault so I should still be able to get them to see me right (aparrently)...